Discovery Gaming Community

Full Version: The Conditions that have to be that the encounter is a fight.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Well, I read through the rules again and I didn't found anything about the conditions to set an encounter to a fight.

My question is:

Is it a fight when...

... a red player appears on my scanners, ...

... the enemy drops his engagement notice or ...

... when the enemy shoots at me?

Besides from that, I found a small issue in rule 0.0. just some missing commas (my point of view):

Rule Wrote:0.0 The intent behind these rules are for everyone to be excellent to one another, and to use common sense. Consider the people around you. Keep fair play in mind. It's a game and nothing is gained, or lost, save the experience. Credits can be re-earned. Ammunition replenished. If you become infuriated comma here step away. If you make a mistake comma here apologize. If you wish to find a loophole in the rules, good luck.
The engagement, the RP/PvP fight starts when

(07-05-2017, 07:43 PM)Ikarus_Hagen Wrote: [ -> ]... the enemy drops his engagement notice
When the enemy drops engagement lines, and starts shooting after that.

Freelancer is full of ambiguity and thus, you may have bad rep with his faction, but he can be neutral to you.

As example, LSF is neutral to civilians(regarding reputation) but civilians are always red to LSF.

There is no such rule that includes: IF a player that is red to you and only you, he will clearly engage you and viceversa
A fight is the result of roleplay consequences, but right now there is no definition of what constitutes an attack, unlike before.
All you need to remember is that the attack must be acted out only if there was roleplay between the two players and the one who opens fire has the ID lines to justify the attack. There is no rule stating that the player must announce their intent to attack.

Also remember that a player's color on your scanner only reflects your own character's current standing with their faction. The player in question has no way to tell what color they are to you, unless it is obvious cases (police IDs meeting criminals)
If: a) The player opens fire on you with his guns with the intention of killing you. The only exception I can see where a player shoots but doesn't have the intent to kill you is piracy. The pirate can sometimes fire a warning shot for intimidation, without the intent of killing you.

b) The player keeps cruise disrupting or ramming you after you told him to stop, in which case any further disruptions/rams are considered an attack. This excludes the first few disrupts to prevent you from considering it as an attack before the other guy even shot his first CD.

Giving an engagement notice is not a start of the fight per rules, but it notifies the player that a fight will most likely begin. Also, I'm not sure if the 50% shields rule is active anymore.

(07-05-2017, 07:50 PM)Piombo65 Wrote: [ -> ]The engagement, the RP/PvP fight starts when

(07-05-2017, 07:43 PM)Ikarus_Hagen Wrote: [ -> ]... the enemy drops his engagement notice

This is incorrect, and the easiest way to explain it is when one ID is outside of its ZoI, while the other isn't and can engage the first one. Example video:

Hessians in Alaska, outside of their ZoI. They can only shoot in self defense, however I drop the engagement notice minutes before actually opening fire because I technically haven't "attacked" them yet and they're not allowed to shoot me without taking any damage. Only when I open fire with my guns are they allowed to start shooting back. If it was the other way around it'd be much easier to engage people outside of ZoI.
Ok, if I just tel someone that I will engage him but I don't shoot because the player runs from me (without saying that he has to stop) adn is out of range is no actual fight?