Discovery Gaming Community

Full Version: PROTIP: Non-standard and fallback fonts
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Cause apparently people don't know this.

When you use non-standard fonts on the forums, people who don't have them installed will see the text in Times New Roman or another unintended font.

For instance, if I write a heading in Abel (which is a font that most people don't have installed) it's going to look like this:

This is some text.
Code:
[font=Abel]This is some text.[/font]

However, if you want to ensure your text still looks good even for people who don't have the non-standard font installed you can use the CSS fallback:

If you have Abel installed, this text will be displayed in Abel. If you don't but have Tahoma, it will be in Tahoma. Otherwise, it will be in the default sans-serif font for your system.
Code:
[font=Abel, Tahoma, sans-serif]If you have Abel installed, this text will be displayed in Abel. If you don't but have Tahoma, it will be in Tahoma. Otherwise, it will be in the default sans-serif font for your system.[/font]

Also download my font pack http://discoverygc.com/forums/showthread.php?tid=149746
tbh I never knew you could do that with fonts
To be fair, why would you want to use fonts that aren't necessarily installed on other PCs? There are enough available. The fallback is a nice thing, pretty cool that that works, but then again, I doubt there are many people that use custom made font packs. It's a nice detail for those who do.

What you could do is use faction-based fonts that use that fallback - to the normal eye, the fallback could drop the letter back to unreadible letters or symbols, while the faction that uses the font on their PCs could encrypt things that way.
Quote:There are enough available

The only good standard fonts are Tahoma, Segoe and Open Sans, pmuch everything else is trash. (Also Consolas to a degree).
Yeah, and XBox is better than Playstation.
>implying good design is subjective
(07-08-2017, 04:00 PM)Corile Wrote: [ -> ]
Quote:There are enough available

The only good standard fonts are Tahoma, Segoe and Open Sans, pmuch everything else is trash. (Also Consolas to a degree).
I got to agree with OCD Protege here.

<3

This text was written with Tahoma.
bump

these fonts are cool, would be fashionable if people used them and introduced fallbacks too.
(07-08-2017, 03:58 PM)Sombra Hookier Wrote: [ -> ]To be fair, why would you want to use fonts that aren't necessarily installed on other PCs? There are enough available.

If you look at this:

http://discoverygc.com/forums/showthread...pid1879393

you'll see that it has a signature as part of the post. That uses a non-standard font, but it is a lot better from an immersion perspective.
Pages: 1 2