Discovery Gaming Community

Full Version: Reducing Lagg & Maximize Performance
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Reducing Lagg

Im just posting this because i do not the best high speed internet, download speeds are just above 300kb/s but im also running Windows 10 via wifi. heres what i did to reduce lagg and so far seems to be just fine, before i had tonns of lag just fighting NPCs.

open settings>privacy>background apps

on the left hand side scroll to the bottom and turn off any apps that send and/or receive data or only ones you wish to leave on or off

Another thing turn off proxy server under settings>network/internet> proxy from left side and turning "auto detect settings off"

and also turning off LAN proxy via internet options ( Cortana is the search feature built in to windows 10 )
press & hold Windows Logo on keyboard & press S than type Internet options click connections tab and LAN at bottom turn off lan auto detect.

Turn off "update offline maps" think it only applys to windows 10 but i could be wrong
right click windows logo goto settings select apps & select offline maps from the left hand & on the right hand side turn off "automatically update maps" as this will update everyonce in awhile and most likely while your ingame

Also running windows update before opening the game will pervert windows update from just up and running most of the time while ingame/server

Another Thing is any torrent program running even if closed i found will affect download speeds for some reason or another, because i used Qtorrent to download FL and it was installed and i got lag but once uninstalled it was greatly reduced.

Also i turned on and disabled some of these router settings as i use a Wireless router ( As i have a mini laptop with no hardline port )

I turned on Internet QoS, QoS upstream which can limit your upload/stream, Which i had to limit mine to 50 kbps, but this doesnt always work and recently turned it off as it will hold bandwidth hostage.

These below are windows based settings!

Also try disabling your netbios by going to the connection settings by right click start logo > settings > network/internet > change adapter options > right click on the connection you use & click on properties > click on ipv4/tcp > click on properties again > Advanced > click on wins tab & at bottom it will say disable netbios. click okay on everything to save settings

I also turned off IpV6 the same way as not many Ip address use ip6 at the moment & freelancer is ip4 based & iv noticed a lower more stable ping in Battlefield & Freelancer

Also changing your DNS in your wireless/hardline router & in windows under network sharing might reduce lagg, as in my case i was given googles DNS of 8.8.8.8 / 8.8.4.4 which was causing problems. by going to the connection settings by right click start logo > settings > network/internet > change adapter options > right click on the connection you use & click on properties > click on ipv4/tcp > click on properties again > at the bottom you will need to change to "use these DNS settings" i used 64.6.64.6 and alternate 64.6.65.6

Also turning on ECN " Explicit Congestion Notification " in some case's helps reduce over head or build up of network problems. i found it to work with it on and seems to have reduced some lag problems. it can be turned on by opening CMD " command prompt & typing netsh int tcp set global ecncapability=enabled

also turning off windows auto tunneling, also to me seems to made my connection alot more stable. it can be turned off also by opening command prompt & typing netsh int tcp set global autotuninglevel=disabled

Also from time to time clearing DNS cache resolver can help, more so if you do it just before you start to play a game, it can be cleared by opening command prompt & typing ipconfig /flushdns
not there has to be a space after ipconfig

Maximize Performance

And if your running with limited hardware that slows the game down, you can try the below

Turn off superfetch via services by holding windows key & pressing s & type services and scroll look for superfetch double click and stop service and click drop box and select disable

This one only applys to users with Windows 10, turning off all the live tiles ( the new start menu ) will reduce minor cpu usage and should give afew extra FPS ( frame per second )

you can also give CPU Priority to a program by pressing Ctrl+Shift+Esc & right clicking on the Exe that your running than click on Priority than click highest or high. on windows 10 you will have to click details on the very far right of the tabs to get to your local exes running. added upon post & reminder

Hopefully this isnt just a wastefull post and helps someone out.
Added alittle more on how to decrease lagg but dunno if its even worth a post or sticky thread but thought id share alittle more as not everyone can have a perfect connection/bandwidth

If anyone has and ideas on what can help increase system Performance and/or reduce lagg just shoot me a pm
Added some more info on possible reducing lagg & creating a more stable connection with less ping spilkes

Iv tested these & have found no issue or problems with them.

I added info on netbios/router settings & windows networking settings
This has worked a treat for me cheers for putting it up. It has made it possible to do missions and not die before I've seen the AI ships!
Im glad its helped you out Smile feel like im just posting for fun or what not. but i dont have the best internet connection, i have a mini laptop connected via wireless than the internet that comes in is picked up by a dish from a tower so its double wireless. but its not sat net. dish net or huges net and its not cell phone based.

I can sometimes get arvg of 2.5Mbps which hell isnt to bad. anyways i added something on DNS. just above the part for Performance. which has helped alot with rubberbanding and ping spikes
Something that would be extremely useful would be a way of prioritizing network use to Freelancer (kind of like you can prioritize CPU use in the task manager).

Anyone know any way to do that?
I don't know if this affects network performance, but this would at least prioritize Freelancer as a program over others, if your CPU is taxed for performance.

Ctrl+Shift+Esc will bring up the Task Manager. Look at the Processes Tab and find Freelancer. Right click, find Set Priority, then raise the priority for your system to run Freelancer to the desired priority level. This will trigger a system message, so you'll have to confirm that you wish to do this. After confirming, Freelancer will be prioritized to run first over all other programs. I know this will at least assist with those who have low-end CPU/Ram space, which together with internet tweaks, is one step closer to a stable connection.
i dont think that can really be done.. as you would have to somehow tell windows and your router to give highest to FL or BF2.
thats abit tricky i know in netgear router it gives option for that but i can not seem to get it to work or it just might be me.

I did do a fast search and found This on a website about a program

If i come across anything else il either try it out or share it. as im always trying to make my connection as stable as i can.
i never saw your post Sad but all that does i think is tell the cpu to give ramming speed to the program/app not network/bandwidth. i could be wrong about that. but it could help on CPUs that are not faster enough and might reduce screen lagg. but anything is better than nothing.

Update! added ECN, windows auto tunneling and clearing DNS resolver cache
Added CPU Priority!