Discovery Gaming Community

Full Version: The Lady and the Professor
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
[Image: l4IcucX.png]

As her ship drifts into the docking sequence Maria pulls on her boots and muses over her latest escapades,

*new anomaly in Texas*
*hostile aliens and psychopathic Core pilots*
*Nice shiny new ship from distant allies*
*Meandering exploration until a route home was secured*
*Neral net confirmation of a meeting venue after a chance encounter*
*Run in with his policeman brother on the way to the rendezvous"
*I wonder if it is worth it, could he be the archetypal mad scientist?"

"LH-Maria.Freudenstein, you are cleared for docking" came the monotonous voice of dock control shutting down her current train of thought.

"Mmm, I wonder if McCools still exists" as she locked down her ship.

Room, drink and then the Professor, or maybe "Drink, room, Professer" she chuckled to herself, quickly supressing the drink, professor room combination. *Diga, space can be lonely* briefly drifted through her brain.
Alfred was awaiting his newest guest in a remarkably dull room. Walls of grey, coupled with an equally dull table with two simple metal chairs. It was hardly glamorous, but it suited his needs and as such, he didn't complain. A single rectangular window looked out into space, and if one looked close enough, they might be able to see Planet Sprague of in the distance.

It didn't take him long to set up his recorder, and what little information he could find on the notoriously elusive Lane Hackers was on hand should he need to cross reference anything. All preparations made he settled down to make use of the well ventilated room and began smoking his pipe, considering his newest subject. It would be lie to say he wasn't nervous, he was nervous but also very excited. Lane Hackers were not known for coming forward with information freely, and even less well known for sitting down and explaining their intentions, aside from burning every corporate vessel that they came across. Still, sorting fact from fiction was his goal, and he hoped that everything would go as smoothly as the other Interviews.

The final preparation he made was writting on his notes the title of the Interview.

Interveiw with The Lane Hackers (overview on Unlawful activity) Written for the University of Cambridge's Sociology library by Professor Alfred Steiner.
Date: 13/07/824 A.S.
Freeport 1, Omega-3.
Subject: Maria Freudenstein

He seriously doubted that was her true name, but wouldn't push the issue. With this last, albeit, basic preparation made, he sat back and enjoyed his pipe.
*Well home sweet home* as she thumbed the door code into her present accommodation.

Carefully placing her coat over the one pitted aluminium chair, she disappointedly review the evening * Well McCool’s has gone downhill unless its reputation has been hyped and disappointingly no sign of the Professor, wonder how I will get his attention.*

Bending to remove her boots she noticed a blinking red light on the comms console, her heart unfathomably quickened as she pushed the missed message button.

She was greeted by a grey vista, a dull small room with utilitarian furniture and centre stage, the Professor inviting her to the first meeting.

He looked a little apprehensive and in all honesty the general hue from the whole setting was bland, hopefully this was a rented room, if not then hopefully the grey atmosphere did not extend to a grey mind.

Pressing the call button elicited no response, *probably just as well* she though, *I am not in the mood for much conversation tonight, time to leave a message.*
“Hello Professor, thank you for the invitation, I can begin tomorrow if you would like to confirm the time and place, arrivederci”, quickly pressing the send and resisting the urge to blow a kiss. *I definitely need sleep* was the last thing to cross her mind as her head hit the pillow.
When the message came through, to say he was frustrated would be about accurate. He was ready to go now. not later. Although in fairness, he did understand. He calmed himself from his childish thoughts and resumed his smoking for a small while, thinking how best to reply. He ultimatly concluded that he didn't need to say anything, and thus, he didn't bother. He left the room as it was and retired for the evening, ensuring that the zoners would let him know when his guest was awake.
Well, straight after breakfast, time to find out where to go.

Nothing direct from the professor, time to contact base personnel, "Hello base enquires, I wonder if you could help, I am to meet a Professor Steiner, perhaps you could direct me to his office, it is possibly a recently rented one."
Alfred rose early, as per usual, and had a long and plesant shower. He ordered a modest breakfast of toast, tea and a boiled egg. He reviewed his notes while he strolled back down to the interview room. A Zoner arrived not long after, asking if he was ready for his guest as she was apparently asking after him. He replied that yes, he was indeed ready and asked the Zoner to ask her if she was well rested. The Zoner scurried away and Alfred produced his pipe and waited once more.
*Oops, late again.* she giggled as she tied back her hair and rushed for the door, then stopped. *First impressions count.*

*I can be fshionably late but should at lest appear as if I have made the effort.* An old master of applying make-up she quickly brought herself up to spec, *Not too shabby.* she thought to herself, *especially for a woman of my age.*

* Ok, here we go.* as she knowcked on the door previously identified as the Professors temprary accomodation.

"Hello*
As the door opened and the lady stepped in, he stood, putting aside his pipe and tugging down on his shirt to remove the creases. ''Good morning to you My lady'' he said, enunciating his Rheinlandic accent. ''I hope you slept well'' he said, gesturing for her to sit, but standing until he did so.
*A gentleman perhaps* she noticed as he remained standing. *First impressions count, I wonder if he will push my chair in?.*

"Hello, Professer, nice to get here at last.* taking the indicated chair just across from the cold hard table.

*A Rheinlander accent, I had not noticed that before.* she thought.

"What a wonderful accent, quite different from your brothers."
''Thank you my lady'' he said, walking behind her and gently pushing the chair in before returning to his own seat. He fumbled about his his papers, putting them into neat piles before sliding a single sheet in front of her with a fountain pen next to it. ''Madam, this is the legal document that outlines the basics of this interview. It states that you are here of your own free will, that everything you tell me is, to your knowledge, true and that you understand that what you tell me will be made public. It also outlines that should I ask a question that you do not wish to answer, you do not need to. Alternatively , you may ask that the recording device be turned off. You may terminate this meeting at any time, and leave when you wish.''

While waiting for her to sign the legal document, he took a moment to examine his subject. An elder lady, thin of build but of reasonable stature, she had done an impressive job in maintaining her looks despite her age. She was clearly an educated woman, whether said education was formal or learned via experience was unknown to him but he intended to find out. She had deep green eyes that had been pronounced with the makeup she used. All in all she could not deny her attractivness, but was more curious about her mind and what thoughts lay within.