Discovery Gaming Community

Full Version: Forum Spam Rules
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
On the forums these days, it is legitimately impossible to tell a Flood thread from a non-Flood by its content.
I'm not going to name specific people or specific threads, but it's now apparently normal to have serious discussion threads that consist almost entirely of unrelated, one-line spamposts that look like skype conversations. I used to report these and they usually would get removed, but it's completely futile since the spammers never get warned, never get tempbanned, never take any lessons and probably frequently don't even notice their spam being removed.

If the moderation team does not enforce the distinction between Flood and the rest of the forums, then the two will become indistinguishable as they are now. People are facing tempbans for incredibly minor "insults" but I've never seen anybody face consequences for constantly flooding serious discussion posts with offtopic spam.

We have a new crop of moderators now, is this a trend that we can expect to change or is the whole forum just going to be Flood now?
The issue is, how do you /immediately/ tell someone is being dumb on purpose for sake of riling someone else up? Yes I know, some people misunderstand concepts, misread something, or weren't entirely informed of something, but how are you going to determine this innocence?

Yeah, I know, it can be obvious with most people who make it - well - obvious, but there are still grey areas about it. Or atleast, I think you're talking about the discussion thing, not the one line witty responses.
To be fair, it will be very hard to find a good line to judge on those things. I mean we all can agree there is [this user] or [that user] who usually tend to use trashposts to [self-glorify] and [profile] but then again, if you have mods interfering too hard, people will just go even more [residue of monkeys], start arguing why certain posts were allowed to remain while others get removed.

Yes, some posts and their posters are annoying, but I doubt more hardlining is necessary. The repercussions of the [loud people] will just make it worse.
It is not that hard to determine the character of a thread, if the discussion is expected to be light, and if a low-content response is an unnecessary distraction or not.
Of course there are grey areas and in general those wouldn't require moderation, but I could easily find dozens, probably hundreds of unquestionably offtopic spam posts outside of Flood in threads that do not warrant it.
I have not seen a single thread/post reported by you since I became a moderator, Karst.
(07-15-2017, 04:12 AM)Durandal Wrote: [ -> ]I have not seen a single thread/post reported by you since I became a moderator, Karst.

Not everything has to be reported, y'know. We're not expecting you to read every single post on the forums, but at least moderate the things you see. Just as an example, there's at least 5 posts in this thread that are nothing but spam in a thread outside of flood. I doubt no mods saw them since the thread is highly visited, yet nothing got moderated so far. And that's just 1 thread, I'm sure there are many more examples with the recent standard of quality Karst mentioned above.
I somewhat agree with Karst, due to the fact there are some posts which are either too short or too... hm... can't find a good word... to be considered as discussion. But then, I lean towards Durandal - you have report button for such things.
Why and how can any self-aware being with a soul even think of even thinking to contemplate to even imagine, let alone have the intention of, making a tiny post, let alone a whole thread, even resembling anything moderately close to serious, on a GAME forum!? Are you people silly!?
Snip~
(07-15-2017, 10:51 AM)Antonio Wrote: [ -> ]
(07-15-2017, 04:12 AM)Durandal Wrote: [ -> ]I have not seen a single thread/post reported by you since I became a moderator, Karst.

Not everything has to be reported, y'know. We're not expecting you to read every single post on the forums, but at least moderate the things you see. Just as an example, there's at least 5 posts in this thread that are nothing but spam in a thread outside of flood. I doubt no mods saw them since the thread is highly visited, yet nothing got moderated so far. And that's just 1 thread, I'm sure there are many more examples with the recent standard of quality Karst mentioned above.

That is not exactly true.
There is a very, VERY fine line between moderating what is minor or tongue-in-cheek posts in discussion threads and outright spam or disruptive content. Sometimes, especially with new mods, they do not want to seem ''overeager'' to moderate every single thing they have a ''suspition'' is negative.
That is what the report button is for.
"I think this might not belong here, but no other member in this thread so far seems to have an issue with this post."

That is why the report button is there.
Moderation is subjective. Especially during early hours when the mod chat is asleep. Please help yourselves by helping mods figure out whether or not a post belongs in a thread. Keep your own forum clean. By extension, help moderators and admins not seem dictatorial where we remove every single joke we come across.