Discovery Gaming Community

Full Version: Mining Revamp
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Part of the objective of the latest mining changes were to eliminate all of the extra fields that existed, keeping this in mind having a niobium field in Orkney will only serve to detract activity away from Tau-23 and puts the system as an activity hub at risk. I don’t see outcasts wanting to have to travel an extra system out to pirate IMG players.

Additionally O47 and O7 both having cobalt fields seems pointless. Why would anyone ever want to go all the way to O47 when O7 is a much better connector route?

Finally O3 with no mining commodity for IMG completely destroys any activity the faction has in the area, what with mining in O7 being essentially impossible. It also makes Aland feel somewhat pointless.
From IMG Point of View:

Problems:
  1. We appreciate getting the Omega 47 ore, however it seems we lose Omega 3 completely as mining area, while O7 is traditionally difficult (very much depending on where the fields will be located).
  2. Omega 47 does not compete with O7. Long cruises, no lanes. It's likely impossible to balance the 2 points of origin to the selling points.
  3. Also, losing all mining commodities in O3 (assuming IMG does not gain a Raw Hydrocarbon bonus), would marginalize O3 as mining area completely, whereas O7 keeps it's high status with 3 ore types. The distribution could be fairer. Bretonia needs love, too.

Solutions could be:

1. Omega 47 gets Diamonds, and IMG/Hessians go for the Diamonds. See 's suggestion. I like it. O47 endeavour is only possible with closer IMG-Hessian cooperation, and Diamonds would be a nice way of portraying this irply.
  2. Omega 3 keeps an ore that IMG can mine (could be Hyrdrocarbons or something else at the Comet). An ore that BMM and IMG can spar over would be nice, also for activity.
  3. Omega 7 gets fields placed in a way so that IMG can also access at least one of them (with a decent bonus). As of now, all active fields are in Rheinland territory and after rounds and rounds of mainly oorp madness, O7 is basically completely DHC/Kruger mining, with IMG having moved away because of the past oorp trouble linked to playing there.
  4. Omega 9... still useless and a system lacking function, but if Omega 3/7 fields ran out, and Omega 9 resources became a thing...

Anyway, I am looking forward to discussing the changes some more and I have high hopes in the mining rewrite. Smile

Jack
(07-25-2017, 06:13 PM)Karst Wrote: [ -> ]What I notice from these changes is that they significantly diversify ore buyers in the houses. As an example, Liberty has Manhattan, Denver, Pittsburgh, Harrisburg, Detroit, and St. Albans, all buying various ores. This is highly problematic for piracy as there is no easily determinable standard route, and thus less of an opportunity to catch ore-bearing traffic. With the player numbers we have, I think that would be something to be desired.
I think it's preferable to have only two ore buyers per house to streamline traffic and facilitate piracy.

I have to say I really like this change–in principle at least–because it moves us away from the "routes on train tracks" feeling of ore trading that we currently have to a more open and more realistic universe that is less obviously restricted for gameplay reasons. A possible compromise would be to slightly buff the most direct and/or heavily bottlenecked routes for each ore to encourage traders to fly them at an increased risk of piracy.

On a different topic and as 2IC of ALG, I obviously share the concerns of about moving the Rheinland Iridium sellpoint away from Dortmund (post #29). We have a strong history in lore of using Iridium in bulk in our radiation shielding and other products due to its density as well as its resistance to corrosion and heat–it's mentioned in the infocard for HazMat Canisters, for example–and we have established roleplay regarding its extraction and transit, e.g. our involvement in this project.
(07-25-2017, 06:50 PM)Danny-boy Wrote: [ -> ]Part of the objective of the latest mining changes were to eliminate all of the extra fields that existed, keeping this in mind having a niobium field in Orkney will only serve to detract activity away from Tau-23 and puts the system as an activity hub at risk. I don’t see outcasts wanting to have to travel an extra system out to pirate IMG players.

Additionally O47 and O7 both having cobalt fields seems pointless. Why would anyone ever want to go all the way to O47 when O7 is a much better connector route?

Finally O3 with no mining commodity for IMG completely destroys any activity the faction has in the area, what with mining in O7 being essentially impossible. It also makes Aland feel somewhat pointless.

Well, you kind of give clues to the answers you're looking for.
Giving a reason for Outcasts to use their Orkney base. If IMG absolutely can't mine in O7, maybe that alternative site in O47 would be fine then?
Quote:Giving a reason for Outcasts to use their Orkney base

But outcasts don't have a base in Orkney?????????????????????????
(07-25-2017, 09:34 PM)Corile Wrote: [ -> ]
Quote:Giving a reason for Outcasts to use their Orkney base

But outcasts don't have a base in Orkney?????????????????????????

In the current circumstances, yes, you are correct.

It wasn't that way before though.

I've read through the thread but do not have time to deal with feedback at this time, but will later.
In the meantime, I've made the following changes to the OP.

Changes:
Azurite - Kodiak switched to Willard

Additions:
Azurite - Ames Research, for Order, Corsair, & Outcast shipments
Added Military Salvage commodity

Generally speaking, I do agree that ore acquisition needs to be concentrated as tightly as possible, however there are certain lore considerations that come into play as well. However, it may be that game play balance must push lore aside.

With so many ores mined in the Omegas, I expect something can be done to make field assignments that don't marginalize or overly privilege certain mining factions.
Few more changes today.
Updates to Premium Scrap.
Iridium: Changed Oder to Dortmund.
Added Valetta and Tripoli to standard loot points list at the bottom of the OP.

That completes my second pass through the scheme from a global perspective. I'll address posted feedback next.
Given Cryer's interest in Alien Organisms, would it be feasible to add a sell point of Cryo Organisms to Cambridge Research Station, or potentially change the sell point at Canterbury to CRS?
That would be bretty bad since Outcasts could no longer sell it then.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8