Discovery Gaming Community

Full Version: New User Blues
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I just played the Vanilla Campaign. I wanted to play on the latest Discover MOD. I think I have 4.88, but I downloaded 4.89 so I have no idea which is which anymore. That's the first mess.

The next one is the whole "Account" Issue. The DS Launcher is totally absent when it comes to any kind of interface hep at all. So I spent a couple of hours just trying to find this place.,

I finally figured out how to create a new account. Then I tried to play the game. Joy of JOYS I played a little at Liberty then went to "load" my old saves. NOPE, sorry, nuthin. and NOT ONE word of how to get them into the MOD directory.
I tried cutting and pasting the old saves into the Discovery folder I found next to my user directory in USERS/"myusername/" Documents/My Games. No go. There is no "accounts" folder present there.

I did finally manage to figure out how to create an account in the launcher. But, silly me, the Launcher can't find it anywhere.

Then I thought, "Screw This, I'll just go and play around in the original game. but NOOOOOOOOOooooo, that's not allowed. The original game won't even start anymore.

I have found entries for each and every problem I have listed here. I have not seen one entry where one person got slapped in the face with ALL of these messes.

I am tired now. Would have loved to try this. The last big Discovery Mod I played was 4.84 and I loved it. But this mess is beyond computer hell. I am going to reinstall FreeLancer from Scratch and play that. This new mod has holes in it that ... never mind.

Cya all later, maybe.
Discovery Freelancer was not designed for single player. You can technically play it, but your game won't be saved for some reason. It was designed for multi player, hence the need for a launcher and accounts. If you want to play alone, then the original is the best and you did the right thing.
Let me explain.

Discovery freelancer overrides many of the original freelancers capabilities. Which means if you want to play the original, you need to completely uninstall discovery. This goes for any vanilla freelancer files, those get wiped as well in discovery get since it's incompatible with the game and because it does not have a storyline to it.

edit: https://discoverygc.com/forums/showthrea...tid=151827 is what you're looking for, just scroll down to ronillions link which will give you a clean zip folder of discovery freelancer. Just unzip it and run the game like normal

I don't know what you're doing but the instructions on using the account launcher are right there. With add, import, export, remove, etc.

And finally, the reason you're in these messes is because by the looks of it, you're attempting to put vanilla files into the game. Just do a complete reinstall of either game by the link I suggested for disco or reinstall freelancer after deleting disco if you want to play with either. It has to be one, not the both of them will work at the same time.

If you plan on playing disco single then you'll need to do what's below

If you want to have "save" files In "single player" you will need to make your own server as that is how it'll save the files. If you wish to do that, click this link https://discoverygc.com/forums/showthrea...pid1913029
Thank you very much for the timely response. I did not realize I could not pick up in Discovery where I left off in the Vanilla game.

I was actually going the opposite direction. I had downloaded, installed, and played the Vanilla Freelancer, and was "upgrading" to the Discovery mod. Way back in the day, in version 4.84 you could do that. You would just run Freelancer and the Discovery Universe would be there waiting for you.

Apparently that can't happen anymore. So, from what I understand you to be saying, Discovery 4.88 and up are not expansions to the Vanilla Freelancer. 4.88 is a whole game unto itself in an expanded universe many years after the events of the Vanilla Freelancer.

Thanks for the response on this.

So my next question/s would be. Can I install Freelancer Discovery AND play the Vanilla game on the same computer, as completely separate games?

(07-31-2017, 01:09 AM)diamond1 Wrote: [ -> ]Let me explain.

Discovery freelancer overrides many of the original freelancers capabilities. Which means if you want to play the original, you need to completely uninstall discovery. This goes for any vanilla freelancer files, those get wiped as well in discovery get since it's incompatible with the game and because it does not have a storyline to it.

edit: https://discoverygc.com/forums/showthrea...tid=151827 is what you're looking for, just scroll down to ronillions link which will give you a clean zip folder of discovery freelancer. Just unzip it and run the game like normal

I don't know what you're doing but the instructions on using the account launcher are right there. With add, import, export, remove, etc.

And finally, the reason you're in these messes is because by the looks of it, you're attempting to put vanilla files into the game. Just do a complete reinstall of either game by the link I suggested for disco or reinstall freelancer after deleting disco if you want to play with either. It has to be one, not the both of them will work at the same time.

If you plan on playing disco single then you'll need to do what's below

If you want to have "save" files In "single player" you will need to make your own server as that is how it'll save the files. If you wish to do that, click this link https://discoverygc.com/forums/showthrea...pid1913029
Oh dear.

I didn't read what you read correctly at all. You said up front that the only way to go back to the Vanilla game is uninstall Discovery. That will give me pause. Guess I'll go for an older version of Discovery, like I did before. Don't really want to destroy a favorite game just to play this Mod.

dang.
You can play vanilla as a separate game, but there's a catch.
I recommend you to exchange the folder with saves and configs every time you need to launch a different version. One folder for Disco, one for Vanilla, othervise save files will be removed every time you launch Disco.
(07-31-2017, 12:48 AM)OlTostig Wrote: [ -> ]Then I thought, "Screw This, I'll just go and play around in the original game. but NOOOOOOOOOooooo, that's not allowed. The original game won't even start anymore.

If you're having trouble launching Vanilla, I would try replacing (after taking a backup of) your freelancer.exe file with the one from http://the-starport.net/freelancer/downl...1&lid=2649
(07-31-2017, 02:40 AM)OlTostig Wrote: [ -> ]Oh dear.

I didn't read what you read correctly at all. You said up front that the only way to go back to the Vanilla game is uninstall Discovery. That will give me pause. Guess I'll go for an older version of Discovery, like I did before. Don't really want to destroy a favorite game just to play this Mod.

dang.

I highly reccomend downloading the zip file but NOT unzipping it yet. It means you have a copy of the game anytime you want to play disco, but you can leave it unzipped so you can play vanilla ^^