Discovery Gaming Community

Full Version: Mining Revamp Beta
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6
CLASS: EX-1
GRAVITY: Complete
DOCKING: Yes
AMENITIES: Yes
POPULATION: 620

Formerly the largest Junker installation in Gallia, Bourg-en-Bresse was often considered the center of their operations. In 737 A.G.S. a hijacked Junker transport moored with the station, bearing a cargo of insurgents affiliated with the Maquis; onboard security barely averted an on-station massacre through redundant scans of the transport's contents.

Bourg-en-Bresse was luckier than the Gallic Junkers' residence at Lixheim, but only barely. Expecting another attack, the Junkers hastily sold the station to the highest corporate bidder, EFL. The corporation currently uses the space port as a clearinghouse and refinery for leftover scrap left behind after construction or maintenance projects all over Gallia.

This is the infocard from Bourg-en-Bresse spaceport and does seem to indicate that EFL is in the cleanup business
(08-03-2017, 03:41 PM)Neptune Wrote: [ -> ]Also is there a good reason why unlawfuls such as Mollys, Hessians and Xenos have been granted 'primary' status? I think there is a reason they're called ex-miners in lore. They should be secondaries at most. Do we really need to turn these factions into pure mining factions? I mean I can somewhat understand Xenos, in order to make a neglected ID more interesting but the other two? This is really silly

The Bundschuh are Ex-Military pilots, guess they shouldn't have any Wraiths, and should be terrible combatants don't you think? I mean they're "ex" Military after all.

Seriously, read this over again and tell me it doesn't sound silly. The Hessians are Ex-daumann/kruger/RM personnel, just because you leave the company doesn't mean you suddenly lack all knowledge of your job/profession. Lets also take note at the fact that the Hessians use mining as a primary means of drawing resources, a lot of those ex-daumann personnel took mining ships and equipment with them up to date with that of DHC. They also took (Leipzig) an entire station with mining equipment.

With that being said, Omega-47 is (as I stated before) almost completely controlled by the Hessians. So it's not like they wouldn't exploit the resources to their advantage, Omega-11 may have a lot of Federal influence, but the Hessians definitely do not lack any significant presence there. The system has been of interest to the Hessians since Vanilla, and using the acquired mining resources I mentioned above there's no real reason they shouldn't have a primary mining bonus as well as the corporations.

Now on to OORP part of why we should be allowed to mine.

People have constantly complained and complained about POB extortion, the OORP reason behind it was we need money for the faction. When I tell people this, they often reply with "oh well wesker just get RHA to smuggle blood diamonds or mine".

A. Our mining bonus is garbage, given a third of our lore is that our faction is made up of ex daumann personnel I don't see why we shouldn't have a bonus, why we haven't until now is entirely beyond me.

B. Blood diamond smuggling is garbage, even with a 4.3k transport you're making roughly 30 million both ways to Roussillon and back (which is the most profitable run mind you), I don't know about anyone else, but spending 40 minutes to make 30 million credits? That doesn't sound rewarding in the slightest. No one want's to spend time doing something like that and I can completely understand why.

Taking these two factors into account if people really want the POB extortion to loosen up a bit, the mining bonus is necessary to make money.

EDIT: If you're seriously concerned RHA will turn into a pure mining faction I'd tell you to take a step back and seriously re-think that statement.
Something I've breifly pondered for Mollies and Hessians waa to give them their own unique mining ore. Say Rose/White Gold for the Mollies and Uncut Blood Diamonds for the Hessians, since the Bliamonds gotta come from somewhere, mined by hessians. A special gold for mollies to mine might aslo hdlp inject a bit of life into them. I imagine these ores would both be illegal, given their source and who they provide funds too.
I'd like to remind everyone that secondary bonuses on Tier 1 ores are 3.0x multipliers, which is a buff for most factions receiving them (many had 2.0x or 1.5x). Hooray for uniformity. Also, these listings are very much tentative, which is why we've brought them to you. The way that so many people have decided to make attacks personal, against the developers or other players (or both), is counterproductive and entirely unnecessary.

JorgeRyan, I appreciate your response. Ideal mining fields should not be located in well-protected areas such as that field. Omicron Omega is beyond the standard reach for both the Hessians (plus it is the Admins who would have to grant them ZoI) as well as the Outcasts, also Calborona contains a jump point that leads directly to the Corsairs' capital system, and supposing that a raiding party decided to make its way over, it would not be hard for miners there to run and dock. Convenience for POBs is not a consideration for game development. Further, Tier 2 ores are meant to be fought over even more than regular ores; almost no faction with a bonus for them is a corporation, and the only two that are (Planetform and Cryer) are not primarily mining factions* who will be going out of their way for the opportunity.

The Outcasts may have a better route to Bretonia, however the Corsairs have somewhat easier access to Azurite Gas and Iridium Ore. Since the Corsairs have only a secondary/2.0x bonus for Cryo Organisms, I suppose for the sake of balance, the Outcasts should receive the same treatment for Xeno Relics, yet that does mean they will still retain a secondary bonus.

Unlawfuls: Granting the Hessians, Xenos, and Mollys each one primary bonus is something that a lot of people had requested or been interested in seeing, and clearly this has brought some opposition as well. This will be a trial period for the three factions to see how well it works. Note well, once finalized and implemented, these settings will be relatively easy for us to adjust as we see fit. So on that note, to ease the minds of their benefactors in addition to their detractors, bonuses can be added, buffed, nerfed, or removed for any of these factions. Unlawfuls are also limited on the size of their cargohold, limited on the number of destinations, and limited on the profitability of destinations. Anyone actually trying to make a quick buck will still find it most efficient to join a mining or trading corporation.

EFL: See earlier text, "they are not primarily a mining faction."*

*Planetform, Cryer, and EFL are all corporations which are not primarily mining factions. They each have varying levels of interest in, access to, and experience with the deed. They are not based around mining, and while their set of bonuses are limited to a single ore each, that's sufficient for their mining needs and also a buff over former/present conditions. ALG isn't a mining faction in the sense that they pew rocks for shiny baubles, however they are in the sense that they are specialized in cleanup practices. EFL has ancillary experience with waste disposal and had scrap metal bonuses in the past, but so did the Council, and both were not as primary duties (see: GMS), but because Languedoc is covered in wrecks. Many factions do not have and have never had mining bonuses but have seen active player groups, so the difference between a 4.0x and a 3.0x for EFL for Ignitable Toxic Waste (when it wasn't even a bonused ore before) isn't going to make or break a faction. That said, I will stand by my statement to review this in the case of a group having issues with the multiplier.

To sum up and link together many of the points of this reply: Mining for ex-miner unlawfuls, as well as non-mining corporations, is intended to exist as a compliment to their roleplay and offer the chance for another way to spend "free time" when not going about their daily business or striving to achieve their goals and aspirations. It also helps generate conflict with potentially preying hostiles and possibly competition with non-hostiles over mining zone rights. The same can be said for the Hispania and (N)Omicron factions which have 3.0x and 2.0x bonuses for the Tier 2 ores. Mining is one of the many aspects of this game, prompted by lore and fueling many varieties of interactions, in addition to the in-game economy, but it is not the end all be all for every faction with a tie to mining to have a full bonus on all nearby ores. That's a slight exaggeration.

I appreciate the input and will continue to make some edits. Please be friendly and constructive, and note that my explanations are just that - they aren't meant to provoke or cause stress. You ask why, I say why, I might adjust, I might not adjust. Signed, a man trying to find happiness today and avoid more stress. Make use of the old sandwich rule if you have to, and remember to not jump to accusations if you feel at a disadvantage. We each have reasoning to back up our opinions, and decisions will be helped along by everyone forming a better understanding of each other.

tl;dr that last paragraph was initially going to be a tl;dr but then it got to be too long. Read the whole post.
This is a general thought, and critizism about the complete development of the mining system over the last years:

Mistakes, in my opinion, were/are:

1. Too many ores
  2. Too many places
  3. Too little interaction
  4. Too many non-miners that can mine

I suggest cutting down on ore numbers, radically.

Examples to show my points:

1. Omicron Activity Center: 1 ore for e.g. OC/Sairs that is exactly between Alpha and Gamma. 1 field. 1 commodity. Exact same distance to next dockable base. Enemies mining the same thing in the same place. => minus one ore => minus one place where activity spreads => plus: an activity hub where players meet
  2. Dublin Activity Center: 1 ore (Gold) in 1 field for e.g. Molly, BMM, IMG in Dublin. Same distance to dockable bases. And... you would have interaction again. Not like 3 fields at maximum distance from each other where everybody mines alone happily and enjoys single-player gaming.
  3. Omega Activity Center: Omega 7 for example. 1 field (instead of a record 7), 1 commodity. IMG, DHC, Kruger base at the same distance. Same mining bonus. Go! Meet. Interact. Plus, if we have to have unlawfuls mine, then add Hessian bonus, too.

You get the idea, hopefully.

Furthermore, we need:

1. Field Standardization: O3 Comet has around 6 rocks / screen with great contrast, Dublin has 2 with no contrast. You mine 2 minutes with same multiplier in field 1 on ID 1, and 5 minutes on ID 2 with same bonus in a field.
  2. Field Unification: 1 big fields with 1 commodity where everybody can mine, meet, roleplay, interact. Kill all the fields but 1. Stuff like 3 little fields of Niobum in T23 is bad. 7 fields in O7 is bad. 1. It has to be one. A big one. Where everybody is. Furthermore, newbies are screwed over big time. I bet I have told hundreds of newbies which of the 3 little Niobium fields are inactive.
  3. Distance Fairness: Lawful mining parties should have a dockable base at the same distance to the field. I suggest 20-25 k. So that it is a challenge for both unlawful and lawful with no one having no chance at all. For balance, unlawful bases should be ~ 60k away (compare Tau23).
  4. POB rules: No POB should be allowed to be closer than the 20-25k NPC bases. Interaction must be guaranteed, cheap ways out should not be available.

I know that this is radical.
I know this calls for system editing

But Disco needs less spread.
It needs more centralisation.
I needs focus on activity centers.

It's better to have 5 flashpoint systems (Borderworlds between Houses, Omicrons) than 10 options where everybody grinds like a single player game and complains whenever he meets someone.
Secondary commodity_platinum_ore ku05_01_base ku01_07_base Kabukicho Depot 449

This is a Hogosha base BD and GC have no sell location for Nagano Platinum, please fix this x
(08-05-2017, 02:42 AM){ToI}HC Wrote: [ -> ]Secondary commodity_platinum_ore ku05_01_base ku01_07_base Kabukicho Depot 449

This is a Hogosha base BD and GC have no sell location for Nagano Platinum, please fix this x

You will be able to sell it on Free port 6, Newport in the sigmas, Trafalgar in New London, as well as barrier gate station.

Quote:Secondary commodity_platinum_ore ku05_01_base ew09_03_base Sevastopol Depot 1229
Secondary commodity_platinum_ore ku05_01_base bw01_02_base Freeport 1 1219
Secondary commodity_platinum_ore ku05_01_base hi02_01_base PL Crete 1164
Secondary commodity_platinum_ore ku05_01_base li01_13_base Rochester Base 979
Secondary commodity_platinum_ore ku05_01_base br01_08_base Trafalgar Base 915
Secondary commodity_platinum_ore ku05_01_base iw11_01_base Barrier Gate Station A 800
Secondary commodity_platinum_ore ku05_01_base ew63_01_base Newport St 751
Secondary commodity_platinum_ore ku05_01_base bw09_03_base Freeport 6 611
Secondary commodity_platinum_ore ku05_01_base ew15_07_base Bourbon Base 578
Secondary commodity_platinum_ore ku05_01_base ku01_07_base Kabukicho Depot 449
Secondary commodity_platinum_ore ku05_01_base hi01_01_base PL Malta 432

I guess FP6 in Tau 29 isn't that bad but BD flying out to New London with a pirated haul would be a bit mad.
I guess you could find some third party to do it for you. For short and quick independent action though, your not without options.
Put this on the server and you might as well have changed nothing, if not made things worse.
I know we need a revamp and apparently a lot of effort went into this, but this is not it.

What Jack proposed is a step in the right direction. We need less things with better organization overall.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6