Discovery Gaming Community

Full Version: Suggestion: "Camps and hideouts"
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
Move the thread if it's approved by admins as new "gameplay introduction" in Event, News Threads (Like the Derelict Station thread) or Tutorial Thread (Like the NEMP introduction thread). Admin edits and changes are allowed.

CAMPS AND HIDEOUTS

[Image: I9m3UZh.jpg?1]

Introduction

Every faction has their own reasons to send expeditions inside and outside their territories; some examples are for researchs, discoveries but also to take refuge from lawfuls, unlawfuls, to set up a siege camp against an enemy station, to protect the frontier from enemies etc etc... . Some expeditions, so, can become a reason to settle a camp to claim useful territories for their faction or to build a small community to defend themself from enemies until the arrival of reinforcements and maybe, in a day or so, transform that also in a true house, useful for the faction. Some camps, so, could be settled to expand the faction borders too. At last there are so much reasons to do expeditions and make camps, forts or to do hideouts to hide from the police and sometimes those acts could be a pretext to gain an advantage for your own faction.

Details and rules

A camp (or a hideout) will be a small zone in a system where there will be a high concentration of NPC (high level, like PvE events) of a faction. Their purpose is to protect the area from enemies and it won't be easy if faced with a single Snub. It's a hideout if deployed by an unlawful or quasi-lawful faction. A player with the same faction IFF of the camp (or allied) can defend it against the attackers using PvP rules too, so it will be recommended to attack a camp with more of 1/2 players. Destroying a camp will ensure good rewards depending of the "Camp (or hideout) level" and the NPCs will have interesting things in their cargo to take too (Sirius Credit cards, commodities...). The deployment of a camp can be made casually or via player faction request, with this last you can request his deletion. It doesn't necessary any attack declaration post against "low level camps".

Camp level

The camp level is determined by the NPC number and ship types with area upgrades (Weapons platforms, Special loadouts...) here's some examples:

Camp levelDescriptionUpgrades
0Just a high concentration of ships. 10/15 snubs of which maybe some bombers (3/5)None
115/20 snubs or more, of which 10 bombersNone
230 snubs or more, of which 10/15 bombersPowerful loadouts (CD, CODENAMES...)
330 mixed snubs or more, 1/2 gunboatsWeapons platform
420/30 mixed snubs or more, 2/3 gunboats, 1 destroyer if low snub numberWeapons platform, POB (Via player faction request or manual construction)
510 mixed snubs or more, 5 gunboats, 1 destroyerWeapons platform, POB (Via player faction request or manual construction)
610 mixed snubs or more, 5 gunboats, 2/3 destroyersWeapons platform, POB (Via player faction request or manual construction)
75 mixed snubs (more bombers if possible), 8 gunboats, 5 destroyersWeapons platform, POB (Via player faction request or manual construction)
85 mixed snubs (more bombers if possible), 4 gunboats, 3 destroyers, 1 battleshipWeapons platform, POB (Via player faction request or manual construction)
95 mixed snubs (more bombers if possible), 4 gunboats, 3 destroyers, 2 battleshipsWeapons platform, POB (Via player faction request or manual construction)
1010 gunboats, 5 destroyers, 3 battleshipWeapons platform, POB (Via player faction request or manual construction)
values can change

Camp upgrades

Camps are always deployed on level 0. It's up to the faction to upgrade it protecting it from attacks and patrolling the zone preventing the attacks by enemy players. The camp, if survived with losses will be "restored" daily with the adding of the destroyed ships (If a capital ship got destroyed, it will be respawned in 2 days) but not repairing the damaged ships. The camp can be upgraded to the next level with time, few days to the first levels, some months to high levels. The table above it's an example of the first levels but the camp can level up endlessly with more upgrades and less adding ships until to reach a ship number limit (If not, you could find so much battleships in a area aaaand I don't think it's fair). If a camp has a sufficient high level, has a POB with the same faction camp and there's enough RP content to do it, the player faction of the NPC faction can make a Player faction request to transform the camp (removing all upgrades, the POB, Weapons platform, ships ecc...) to a NPC station and it will "definitively" claim the area (The adding of the station can be done with the next update). More the camp level is high, more rewards will gain the players who destroy the camp.

FAQ and purpose of this "Gameplay mode"

Q1) A similar thing can be done with Bar missions since there's the "Destroy Station" mission type. Why this introduction?
A2) Today there aren't so much reasons to do Bar missions. Their difficult is easy with a good ship and rewards are few compared to what money you should have to maintain your ships and/or buy/Upgrade it with 1 bilion/1 boh credits, plus after some missions they become boring and you use it just to "farm" without high difficulties and interaction with other players. Has spoken the guy who to do some "particular entertainment" had to trigger a mission to do a funny "PvE event" (That seems it liked by all involved factions if you read the kudos starting from this)

Q2) Is there the risk that a system could be filled by too much camps, NPCs?
A2) No. Camps will be spawned in "empty" locations, away from stations and not so often. Maybe 2/3 camps per system or just 1 and if there are too much camps in all Sirius it's obvious that there won't be other spawned camps. Plus remember that player faction can request the deletion of undesirable camps if nobody destroys it. It's natural that a camp won't be spawned in EVERY system. It could be also rare, like the Derelict Stations.

Q3) Who can monitorize all this?
A3) The Admins or other player with the npc command access. Ok! With this suggestion looks like I would pretend to become an admin so I could do that and at the same time have divine powers... NO! I don't want this, if it happens then maybe I could take care of all this. Maybe you could create another "Player rank" assigned to "Special events" or similar thing like this. If there's still will to maintain this mod then the work to sustain all this will never be difficult or impossible, plus, maybe you could enjoy to do this, knowing that once the job is done you will make happy the players who play the mod and maybe yourself!

Q4) Why this "Gamemode introduction"?
A4) To do something in game besides waiting the next event or someone to do RP. Yet it's more that NPCs are not like old times, were you alone? You could fight against seriously powerful NPCs, not what you can find just now. I go in a system frontier (Like Omicron Delta) and I don't find nobody. If there aren't players, the system is literally empty and if 2/3 ships appeared, they are so much nerfed/weak that they couldn't do damage, apart some nomad. In the houses I don't see that high "population" you could see in the vanilla multyplayer, you can go everywhere without the fear that some powerful NPC can appear and could destroy you. As a "Snub-Pro of my knowledge" told one day in a Feedback Thread "The space is dangerous", but I don't see anymore that old danger and you must wait a player for a competitive fight. They told me that all this NPC difficult was removed because "It was annoying for who wanted to do just RP in space", so my suggest were those: Or you could find a safe location to do it or it wasn't time to talk, just fight. But returning to this gamemode I'd like to restore that mininum of NPC competition without that problem of before. If you want fight good NPC with good rewards you can go to find those camps and then they could be also a good point to do some player encounters. In few words, it's to gain more activity in factions, systems and to obtain other new players that won't getting bored because they just mine Helium in Pennsylvania.

Q5) Can the game support all this?
A5) I think yes. I don't ask to spawn milons of NPCs and I hadn't connection/technical problems during PvE events or missions with more snubs.

Q6) Are you sure that some lolwutters couldn't do some messes?
A6) Here's why I request more difficult also in low camp levels and here's why I wanted some bombers in any camp level.

Q7) Weren't there any problems regarding "Too much NPC stations"?
A7) Like I said before, Camps and Hideouts won't be spawned near bases but more away, in "Empty zones". If a system is "full of bases" I don't think that other camps are necessary.

Q8) When did have you got in mind this idea?
A8) Today. And It's the entire afternoon that I'm writing this. Boh, at least I didn't die ingame as always.

Every feedback will be welcomed. All this can be changed with your suggestions or other things that for now I've not in mind.
In general, liked the idea, could be tested as one event maybe, for some ongoing history (Frogs x Brets war, for example).
Think may worth the shot, dont seems that hard to implement, but we need consider is some more load over the admins...
(09-03-2017, 06:10 PM)Felipe Wrote: [ -> ]In general, liked the idea, could be tested as one event maybe, for some ongoing history (Frogs x Brets war, for example).
Think may worth the shot, dont seems that hard to implement, but we need consider is some more load over the admins...

I know what have you said but however this is not a Event template but a true "feature" to introduce into the server. If not I would posted that in the Community Event Idea Bucked thread. Just to remember, boh...
There's potential to this idea - for one, it might bring back a hint of the old guard system idea. Currently, everyone goes careless about "restricted areas", such as Zone 42, whenever faction players are not around. I think the balance you propose is a bit off however, since a lvl 10 hideout is in many cases 1/2 to 1/4-th of a factions actual assets. Perhaps official factions should be allowed only one such deployment at a time?
I really like this.

I further suggest that each non-generic OFL gets to set their own "camp area".
(09-04-2017, 06:40 AM)Docent Wrote: [ -> ]There's potential to this idea - for one, it might bring back a hint of the old guard system idea. Currently, everyone goes careless about "restricted areas", such as Zone 42, whenever faction players are not around. I think the balance you propose is a bit off however, since a lvl 10 hideout is in many cases 1/2 to 1/4-th of a factions actual assets. Perhaps official factions should be allowed only one such deployment at a time?

Not only. But also to other zones where there's no activity for example.

(09-04-2017, 08:06 AM)Tænì Wrote: [ -> ]I really like this.

Yes, also unofficial player faction can do a player request to set a camp or it can spawn even casually if they have also a NPC faction.
Looks promising.
(09-04-2017, 08:06 AM)Tænì Wrote: [ -> ]I really like this.

under this circumstance I'd agree to this. No need for random unofficial faction littering.
They would make nice irp ambush/siege-bases, add something interesting to do and an encouragement for factions to put in the effort to become official.
My suggestioin would be to make these only bases with some defences, but less with NPCs since theyre easy food for players. Making these bases mostly only as point for ambushes and sieges would be more encouraging for players to make raids, which are generally more fun, imo. Irp it makes more sense to build a structure as fast starting point for sieges inside enemy territory than to send fleets over systems to systems each time to attack somewhere far away while wasting fuel and time anyway.
You'd need to spawn the NPCs after every single server restart. You'd also need to create fleet loadouts for each faction. There is a reason why it was mostly only Nomads and Cultists in the past.
(09-04-2017, 12:57 PM)Sombra Hookier Wrote: [ -> ]You'd need to spawn the NPCs after every single server restart. You'd also need to create fleet loadouts for each faction. There is a reason why it was mostly only Nomads and Cultists in the past.

For this, like I said in the FAQ I suggested the creation of a member team specialized in NPC/events or similar (Q3)
Pages: 1 2 3