Discovery Gaming Community

Full Version: Need help & I have a few Q's
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I'm a relatively new player to Freelancer discovery. I decided I wanted to make my first character a miner, which will become my money making character which will hopefully financially support my military char in the future.

Obviously I started to consult the wiki, which seems heavily outdated... lots of stuff is either changed or no longer applicable all together. Lots of stuff is very ambiguous, I only found out recently that some factions get a bonus to mining certain ores (GREAT! RP value! yay!).

Made a new char, joined the proper faction which specializes in the ore I wanted to go mine as it looked pretty profitable for a beginning player like myself. After I got to the astroid field I didn't get any drops even after mining for 15 minutes... so I went back to the wiki to check if I didn't make any mistake equipment wise or ID wise. Nope all seemed in order... another 30 minutes passed by until I came on this wiki page where it said that some mining fields are deactivated for balanced purposes. OK....Sure thing boss! I get it.

Started digging in the forum to look for a nice mining guide, I found one that dated back from 2015. But I figured it's better than nothing. Thankfully that guide did help me out a lot. Anyway sorry for the long backstory...

Is there a centralized point which I can access to get information about ships and other data? Right now, if you're not familiar yet with the game, you have to gather little pieces of information all over the place and you can't really count on the wiki since it's outdated.

It seems that if you want to mine and make big profits you'll have to put up with long hauling trips from one side of the galaxy to the other. Makes sense and I assume it's for balance reasons... but is it worth the hassle? It seems just mining helium fast and doing short trips to Erie almost seems it would be the most profitable if you consider the time to mine a full cargo and travel time to the selling point.

Since I'm still a massive noob (and I deserve to be put in my place) and probably completely ignorant about a lot of things... can someone suggest me a good mining route? I'm aware that there isn't a 'best mining route' I'd like to know about one which you think is decent.
https://discoverygc.com/forums/showthrea...tid=132063
This post is being edited and updated constantly.
This might help you out Smile

In general, there is no best mining route.
Is it worth it`? Well, for me and for many others, yes. Just make sure you have a proper mining ship, ID and IFF set up.
There also has been many Player Owned Bases popping up and they offer quite nice amount of $ for a single short trip. So if you're a good miner, they can come in handy.
However try Scrap mining in a Salvager in Texas
Hey there, always nice to see new players. For mining information, this thread is probably the most comprehensive. There's also this thread, which contains a lot of helpful links. I would recomend downloading Flstat, which provides a lot of useful data. There's also FLCompanion, which I think can be used to plan trade routes.

As for mining.... Solo mining is generally harder than other methods, but is the most independent from help from others. It's probably easiest/most effective , when mining by yourself, to mine in 1 ship, sell to a nearby Player Owned Base and then swap to a proper transport to haul it to the sell point. This generally needs a PoB to have open docking and set to buy and sell ore.

Other than that, I would recommend getting some friends together and/or joining a mining faction, to try and coordinate your mining with others.
You may consult the Mining Guide if you haven't already. It has a comprehensive list of all the compatible ships, IDs and proper equipment placement. There is also the most recent Dev Update regarding the mining system and the various locations and active fields along with prices in that thread.

As for "good" mining routes, this is highly subjective and really depends on which regions and IDs you prefer, though for now I suggest you stick to ores that your ID receives the 4.0x bonus, especially if you're mining and hauling it yourself on something slow like a Hegemon, so you won't spend too much time mining; more on that here.

Mining is meant to be a group effort so do keep in mind that if you're solo mining it will take much longer to fill a hold than if you had a few miners/transports with you.

I also advise against using the Wiki as your sole source of information, since a good number of pages on there are not up to date. Forums are much better in terms of finding tutorials and guides or for asking questions in general. I recommend this thread: A Pretty Helpful Tutorial Database, a lot of helpful threads are gathered and linked there.

EDIT-Looks like beat me to it.
Thank you gentlemen, this really helped me out Smile
(09-19-2017, 01:04 AM)Kadanz Wrote: [ -> ]Is there a centralized point which I can access to get information about ships and other data? Right now, if you're not familiar yet with the game, you have to gather little pieces of information all over the place and you can't really count on the wiki since it's outdated.

Mining has always been harder to track and document due to it being server-side add-on rather than mod's feature.

As for the data, FLStat is good for browsing data, FLCompanion for choosing routes.
I can tell you some good trade rutes that i use that involve mining and loading your own 5000 cargo transport or just buying ore from player bases and selling for good price without mining .

Mine/Buy Premium Scrap in Texas , POB(player owned base) is Beoumont Spire , right near Beaumont Base for 3000-4000 cr , go to Omicron Gamma and sell Premium for around 11000 at corsair Shipyard there , Mine/buy Xeno Relics(contraband goods) at POB near Crete orbit for 3000-4000 sc , tow it back to New York , sell in Manhattan for 13000 sc .
Alternatively , you can tow Black market light arms(contraband) from Detroit munitions to Crete , buy for 500 , sell for 5900 , then buy Artifacts(contraband)at Crete for 500 , sell it back at Manhattan for 7000 .
Best ID for this rute is OSC , Hogosha and Junkers can be used as well , but they have 4300 cargo limit .

Mine/Buy Aluminum ore at Picardy , POB there is at F-1 for 3000/3250 sc , tow it to London and sell in shipyard for 11400 , mine Gold ore in dublin/Buy it in POBs (3 near planet London , one
at D/E-3/4 , one in Manchester near Birmingham Station) for 3000-4000 sc tow it back to Galia , sell it at Il de France , Planet New Paris , most LEFT mooring fix(important) for 9000 .
Best ID for this rute is ones neutral to both Galia and Bretonia , like all Rheinland and Kusari corp ID , GMG etc .

Mine/buy Helium in Penn for 1000 , tow it to sigma 59 , sell for 6200 , go to sigma 19 , mine/buy H3 (POB at C/D-3) for 3000/3500 , tow back to New York , sell at planet Pittsburgh for 8900 .
Alternative , sell H3 to New Castle for 9900 .
Mix trade rutes , for example : take Premium to Galia , sell in Duphine shipyard for 11000 , go to Picardy ( take nickel from Orleans for extra 5 M ) , take Alu ore to London , take Gold ore there , tow it to Colorado , planet Denver , sell for 8500 , go to Texas ( take Pharmaceuticals for extra 3 M) , sell at Houston , then start circle again with Premium .
Best ID for this are Neutral with Junkers , Liberty, Bretonia ,Galia , like like all Rheinland corporations , GMG etc .
if you get bored of mining and trading ( which will happen eventually) you can do random missions. doesn't give as much reward as mining but its a little fun.
Check out my post , I'm sure it will be helpful for you.
(09-19-2017, 01:04 AM)Kadanz Wrote: [ -> ]Is there a centralized point which I can access to get information about ships and other data? Right now, if you're not familiar yet with the game, you have to gather little pieces of information all over the place and you can't really count on the wiki since it's outdated.

As people mentioned above, FLStat is the program you're looking for. I made a tutorial on it, click here.