Discovery Gaming Community

Full Version: BS Scanner?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
Maybe I've missed this new about the BS Scanner, but what was the reason of changing it? Or the purpose? Now it's useful only for BS and BC, and why did anyone come to this conclusion that it should be restricted and only be used on BS and BC?
Potentially because the words "Battleship Scanner" imply that it's meant for use on a Battleship? Otherwise, I think we'd have a "Cruiser/Gunboat Scanner." Still, I can see exceptions such as the Corvo and Bustard being able to use them, as the former is a research/scanning vessel, and the latter is a carrier-type vessel.
Well, we have this Scanner since 2009 (I don't know if it was earlier, I just know since when I've been around), and in this 10 years it was called a Battleship Scanner and was used without restrictions? And only now? It's a bit funny... a lot of other problems this game has, and wasting time with fixing something uninteresting, uneseful "problems". Call it just a Scanner then.

Just during these 10 years it was called the same name and was used on other ships too. Or maybe there is another reason? Because this one is really foolish one...
Previously, it was restricted to Battleships only. Then the Tech Chart/Ship Chart came. Restriction was removed and nerf added. You could have 10% non-Battleship ship with Battleship scanner. Then, the Ship Chart got removed and thus the nerf gone. Staff forgot to set it back for few years until recently. There was an announcement about that if you bothered to search for in the first place.
I remember in 2010, people were flying Gunboats with Battleship Scanner, and there was no kind of restriction. Then the Tech Chart/Ship chart came and yes 10% nerf. So I still can't see a point in this. It has been 10 years since I've never seen any problem (except 10%, and RP) to get a BS scanner on Gunboat (or on Cruiser).

P.S If it was restricted to Battleships only till 2009-2010 I don't really know, but I'm talking about the last 10 years. During a decade, at first you could get it without restrictions and then with 10% nerf.
That's just an announcement, no reason and nothing... I still don't understand, it took a decade to restrict the use of BS Scanner? Because I see no real reason, except "The name Battleship SCANNER", which is foolness to be honest.
(09-19-2017, 07:44 PM)Tutashkhia Wrote: [ -> ]That's just an announcement, no reason and nothing... I still don't understand, it took a decade to restrict the use of BS Scanner? Because I see no real reason, except "The name Battleship SCANNER", which is foolness to be honest.

(08-26-2017, 10:32 AM)Karst Wrote: [ -> ]Essentially, the reason is to give a tangible advantage for the moneysink that Battleship Scanners represent to the largest ship classes which would be imbalanced if accessible to all ships, since better scanners are much more effective the smaller and faster a ship is and the smaller its combat range.

The moneysink scanner for the other shipclasses is represented by the Spyglass Scanner, which any ship can mount and which still presents an advantage over the standard Advanced Deep (15/3.5 rather than 15/2).

I'm open to the idea of slightly improving the Spyglass but it won't be as effective as the Battleship Scanner.
Ive just returned to the game today and I did use a Battleship Scanner on my Liberty Supertransport because it lacks offensive capabilities, so I used that as an excuse to re-route "power" to more defensive and tactical advantages however I removed it because a Transport is obviously not a battleship :-)
Basically, Battleship Scanners were always meant to be mountable only on Battleships and Battlecruisers.
The fact that they recently weren't was because ship-based technerf was removed. I don't know why it took months to reinstate the compatibility via plugin, but that's how it went.

Also, the Spyglass will get a slight buff and another, more lawfully-oriented moneysink scanner will be introduced soon™
Pages: 1 2 3