Discovery Gaming Community

Full Version: Ship explosion splash damage.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5
I think this might have been discussed before.

Is it possible to implant this in the game or something?
(09-20-2017, 10:20 PM)thisDerius Wrote: [ -> ]I think this might have been discussed before.

Is it possible to implant this in the game or something?

I dont know is it possible to make, but i know it is imposible to find somone who want to trow it in game.
We cant alowe snubs to be scratched from BS explosions, cant we?
We can, if caps get "scratched" by fighters ramming into them.
I have a weird memory of ship explosions bringing down my shields. Not sure if it was ever in Discovery though.
It is technically possible.

Just a example from DATA/FX/explosions.ini

[explosion]
nickname = dsy_explosion_small
lifetime = 0.000000, 0.100000
process = disappear
effect = gf_explosion_smallship04
debris_impulse = 100
num_child_pieces = 15
debris_type = debris_small_ship, 0.300000
debris_type = debris_small_ship_short, 0.300000
debris_type = debris_small_ship_long, 0.400000
innards_debris_start_time = 0.000000
innards_debris_num = 15
innards_debris_radius = 25
innards_debris_object = simple_metal_debris12
innards_debris_object = simple_metal_debris13
innards_debris_object = simple_metal_debris14
innards_debris_object = simple_metal_debris15
strength = 100
radius = 250
hull_damage = 5000
impulse = 10

One can simply add a line for hull_damage to the respective explosion, and change the line explosion_arch in shiparch.ini accordingly.
[Image: images.jpeg]
This another one of the many things that sounds great on paper, but unfortunately is not good for gameplay.

It's a really interesting feature, but in an actual battle would not be a great addition. When a ship is destroyed, it is dead and out of the fight, as it should be. Were this a pvp respawn server, then being able to damage others with your own destruction might be viable, but considering the roleplay/server rules implications of dying in fight, I just can't see it doing anything other than being a cheap tactic and harming combat in a live RP environment.
(09-20-2017, 10:38 PM)DannyD Wrote: [ -> ]I have a weird memory of ship explosions bringing down my shields. Not sure if it was ever in Discovery though.

It was, at least in .85. Not sure of the current status of it but if it's not there I'd like to see it brought back. It was a neat addition having the clear the blast zone before a cap got deep sixed.
(09-20-2017, 11:15 PM)Mephistoles Wrote: [ -> ]This another one of the many things that sounds great on paper, but unfortunately is not good for gameplay.

It's a really interesting feature, but in an actual battle would not be a great addition. When a ship is destroyed, it is dead and out of the fight, as it should be. Were this a pvp respawn server, then being able to damage others with your own destruction might be viable, but considering the roleplay/server rules implications of dying in fight, I just can't see it doing anything other than being a cheap tactic and harming combat in a live RP environment.
Capital ships explosion animation is 10-15 secunds long, surely enough time for even slowest pilots in Sirius to step away.
Explosive snubs may not be the best idea. Technically, snubs tend to be close to each other while PvPing.

Explosive caps is a way different topic. They'd make sense (speaking about the biggest ones) to damage others being foolish enough to find themselves in close proximity while boombooming. It might discourage snubs from jumping right next to them while exploding. And harm those who are dumb enough to get closer.

Like you don't park your car next to some burning building in hopes it will do nothing.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5