Discovery Gaming Community

Full Version: Stripping .cmp files
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi, strange question- but I am having issues attempting to make a private mod for the game known as Stellaris, and want to utilize the vanilla models within Freelancer in said mod.

My question is: how do I strip the .dds texture files from the .cmp file that contains ship meshes and textures?

See, I have Milkshape 3d, the tool everyone seems to suggest for making Freelancer mods (including the required Freelancer plugins), and by using it I have managed to open the .cmp files and render them inside the program with ease (textures and all). The issue is I can't figure out how to export the .dds files contained inside the .cmp file. Meaning, when I try and export a .obj out of Milkshape, it exports a .obj and a .mtl just fine, but no .dds or .mat or any other file that any modeling program I have can open for textures (blender, 3D builder). It simply shows a blank white or beige model.

I ask this question here due to it being the most active Freelancer community I know of (also ran by developers of a very advanced and detailed mod, perfect people to talk to about this)... and I should include that I don't intend on using ANY models inside the mod, only vanilla Freelancer models (so no thievery from the devs). I also don't intend to upload the mod, just use it for private fun and experimentation.

So basically, summed up, how do I fully "decompress" .cmp files of Freelancer ship models. Separating the .dds files from the model files, leaving me with the ability to have a .obj, .mtl, and .dds to use in a mod for a different game.

Thanks
You can get the texture from it with the UTF editor, or just during export turn it into a obj then use modelling software like blender or 3DMax to do whatever you want to it.
(10-16-2017, 01:16 AM)Laz Wrote: [ -> ]You can get the texture from it with the UTF editor, or just during export turn it into a obj then use modelling software like blender or 3DMax to do whatever you want to it.

Hmm I cant seem to figure out how to use UTF. I open the .cmp correctly, and it shows various nodes and such but nothing specific to .dds files or textures. And anytime I try to export something via the export data thing, it only gives me a useless file without an extension... which, when I try to force a .dds extension only creates a corrupted file that is still useless and unloadable. The .cmp I tried to use in this example was the one for the Osiris. And also one from the Night Stalkers Universe, the BSG Pegasus model (for testing), both showing no texture files. Which is odd, considering they show in Milkshape.

Of the latter two softwares, when I try to import the files into Blender (the only two files created by Milkshape being a .obj and a .mtl) and I activate textures, the model simply turns black... no details or anything, just a solid blank black... which is why I am trying to get the .dds files specifically. As I am guessing that when I export the model from Milkshape, it isn't exporting the textures with it (except maybe in that .mtl file, but it doesn't seem to contain any textures).

I should note that I have no idea what I am doing. Never done modeling or anything in relation to modeling before... usually I am a pretty fast learner on these things, but there is nearly no information on what I am trying to do. No tutorials or anything...
To help with your texture issue, here is a nice gif example:
Sorry if its not clear.

(had to split them up or forum mods become mad Tongue )
(10-16-2017, 02:04 AM)Laz Wrote: [ -> ]To help with your texture issue, here is a nice gif example:
Sorry if its not clear.

(had to split them up or forum mods become mad Tongue )

OH MY GOODNESS IT WORKS

THANK YOU SO MUCH!

I did have to do it a little differently, as it seems we have different UTF versions (mine looks very different, but works similarly). My biggest issue, is it never occurred to me to open the .mat file that I could create with Milkshape (every time I tried to use the .mat files, they didn't work... so I assumed it was broken or unreadable by anything that wasn't for Freelancer).

But as you showed in your gifs, all the textures I've been trying to find for weeks now, were all present.

Thank you again Big Grin
Glad it worked. If you have any other queries feel free to PM me and I'll do what I can to help.
(10-16-2017, 03:06 AM)Laz Wrote: [ -> ]Glad it worked. If you have any other queries feel free to PM me and I'll do what I can to help.

Will do, and thank you again. Hopefully, all the problems I'll have now will be with importing files into Stellaris... so wish me luck xD