Discovery Gaming Community

Full Version: New pilot in space
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Hey there!

I randomly decided to fire up my Freelancer again after some 14 years since playing it on a LAN with my uni buddies and found out there's still a community for it! Awesome!

You'll be able to find me in space learning the ropes fairly regularly I imagine, and I'll do my best not to die immediately, I've already read the rules and sections relating to ship ID's but if there's anything else people think is a top "Must know" that isn't obvious, I'd love to hear it!

'Til next we meet!
Welcome.
Hello, and welcome to Discovery! I can't think of too much that's super-important right now, but I will offer this handy-dandy Technology Chart. Along your travels, you might find a gun or ship that belongs to a certain faction. If you are flying a certain ID and try to equip an incompatible weapon (For example, a Liberty Rogue gun on a police ID), you will receive a message that your powerplant is reduced. The chart is fairly easy to use, just look for a faction you want along the left column, then follow the row until you find the faction's ship/weapon cell. For example, you will see near the top that Bretonian Intelligence Service can use many Bretonian Lawful and Civilian ships and guns at 100% efficiency, while being able to use Gallia Civilian ships at 75% efficiency. This means your yellow regeneration bar will have the same max capacity, but may have reduced regeneration in some cases.

As a Freelancer, you can use almost all technology at 75% efficiency, although many factions will require you to obtain in-Role Play "permission" to use said guns and/or ships. Thankfully, there are many different civilian ships and weapons available for use, hassle-free! Each House manufactures its own brand of civilian guns, and some Houses produce their own civilian ships.

I hope you continue to enjoy yourself here! If you run across a pirate, just remember that behind the keyboard a (possibly) mean character can be a genuinely awesome person! See you out there!

Edit: Oh oops, it would help if I actually link the chart! Fixed that!
Welcome to Discovery! I hope you stay for a while! Smile
Welcome

check out the "Playe Utilities" menu in the top bar here on forum.
Thanks for the tips so far guys, I tend to wangle my way towards are trading role in spaceboxes, are there any restrictions on into colony travel? I'm aware that there are lingering hostilities and warring territories but within the heartlands for example?

I have seen that there is a restriction on the freelancer ID cargo capacity but that's not likely to be an issue for me as yet with my starting funds I imagine.

I'm gonna poke around the forums some more to see if we have recruiting boards etc.
Not sure if i understud your question, but if you ask is there limitations where you can go as trader, no there isnt, at least server wise. There is places where is not wise to go, or places where you can get in to big trouble with local factions, but server wise, you are free as bird.
The House Roleplay Laws button at the top of the forum can help you out in regards to certain restricted cargo types that are only allowed to be carried by certain factions. As far as I know, I think the only trade embargo active is from the Taus into Bretonia, but I could be completely wrong on that. It's worth a glance, at least!
Join THP for fun shenanigans. We have many, many ways of making money.
Pages: 1 2