Discovery Gaming Community

Full Version: Gallic Brigands - extending ZOI
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Oops, wrong forum, my bad.

Gallic Brigands are a faction that does deals with Liberty Rogues (check Buffalo rumors), but doesn't really have enemies in guys like Hogosha or Corsairs due to lack of tensions with them.

While they are mainly the 'romantic thieves' - they are also the biggest criminal organization in their own house. With Gallia opened to Sirius, it would be only matter of time Brigands would do something more than just do business with Rogues and alike. After all, it is the Brigands - not Unione Corse - to own the entire blackmarket in Gallia. They had been enclosed in Gallia and Taus for way too long.

Quote:A sudden lack of government opposition due to the Navy's occupation with the Council has allowed the Brigands to expand their operations and develop new markets. They have recently created new bomber class craft and increased their defenses in order to protect themselves for the inevitable counterattack of the Gallic government. It is also widely rumored that the Brigands intend to expand into the newly reunited Sirius Sector.

Maybe their expanse across areas would lead into more interesting approach to the faction and make it more appealing to the players?

Why not to extend their ZOI onto other houses, the primary choice being Kusari (the closeness) and Liberty (cooperation with Rogues)?
Wrong forum.
I could dig this, could make the Brigands an interesting faction for local unlawful factions. I'm sure rogues and brigands would tolerate each other but they, like EFL and ALG, are so far away despite their potential rivalry they are friends due to their distance. But if the Brigands started encroaching on their turf like say Kusari, it could lead to some interesting responses I feel better would want them out of Kusari gc might tolerate them hogs/fa would more likely than not play it neutral and push the UC to try to bring them under control. Could lead them to butt heads with even Junkers encroaching on the smuggling trade.

This topic kinda goes hand-in-hand with the Gallic Corp IDs getting expanded.
(11-08-2017, 10:54 PM)Toris Wrote: [ -> ]Gallic Brigands are a faction that does deal with Liberty Rogues (check Buffalo rumours) but doesn't really have enemies in guys like Hogosha or Corsairs due to lack of tensions with them.

While they are mainly the 'romantic thieves' - they are also the biggest criminal organization in their own house. With Gallia opened to Sirius, it would be only matter of time Brigands would do something more than just do business with Rogues and alike. After all, it is the Brigands - not Unione Corse - to own the entire blackmarket in Gallia. They had been enclosed in Gallia and Taus for way too long.

Why not to extend their ZOI onto other houses, the primary choice being Kusari (the closeness) and Liberty (cooperation with Rogues)?
http://discoverygc.com/forums/showthread.php?tid=151248

The Brigands are a faction with a huge amount of roleplay potential but are, as you've pointed out, limited by their ZOI. The entire time that I've RP'ed them with the faction is that they are unknowledgeable of Sirius and are severely limited in their expansion because of that. I didn't know about this news article and tbh I'd rather it didn't exist as it takes away a large amount of our RP.

One of the main themes we explore is how we are gaining contact with all these new groups, making allies and enemies (see CR and Forlorn for a decent example). I've treated the Brigands as being nothing but a ragtag band of pirates with little to no organisation, each base being split up and fighting for itself. This creates rivalries and inter-base drama. This generates more activity and gives more RP avenues and opportunities.

For those that have been reading and paying attention, they'd have seen that I've been trying to RP the core of Brigands, being Planet Marne, trying to organise and unify them. This, coupled with the lack of outside contact, makes the Brigands feel like an entirely new experience - and one that I've spent a long time building upon to make it more welcoming to outsiders, as it were.

On the subject of ZOI I think having Liberty would be really stupid, to be blunt. In an ideal world I'd have the Brigands with the following ZOI:
Gallia, Gallic Borderworlds, Northern Bretonia (Leeds/Edinburgh (and maybe NL), Taus, Kyushu, New Tokyo, Rishiri (maybe Nagano), and any system that connects to a system with a Brigand base. (I'd have this because we don't have ZOI in Roussilon despite having a base there).

(11-08-2017, 10:54 PM)Toris Wrote: [ -> ]Maybe their expanse across areas would lead to more interesting approach to the faction and make it more appealing to the players?

Is it not already? I've seen more Brigand players in the present day than ever before. That being said, I'd never turn down more players, especially more RP focused ones.

EDIT:

(11-08-2017, 11:28 PM)Vulkhard Muller Wrote: [ -> ]I could dig this, could make the Brigands an interesting faction for local unlawful factions. I'm sure rogues and brigands would tolerate each other but they, like EFL and ALG, are so far away despite their potential rivalry they are friends due to their distance. But if the Brigands started encroaching on their turf like say Kusari, it could lead to some interesting responses I feel better would want them out of Kusari gc might tolerate them hogs/fa would more likely than not play it neutral and push the UC to try to bring them under control. Could lead them to butt heads with even Junkers encroaching on the smuggling trade.

This topic kinda goes hand-in-hand with the Gallic Corp IDs getting expanded.

The Brigands is an interesting faction tho, at least in my mind. If adding more ZOI is what makes a faction interesting, then its not going to be about RP focus. People who focus on the RP find a way around zoi limitations. See Figure. 1: The Free Brigands of Gallia.
Fair points , but the thing is that according to the lore written for Brigands they are pretty much owning entire blackmarket in Gallia, meaning they are something like Rogues, (Liberty) Junkers and Lane Hackers fused into one big faction that has monopoly over entire house's underworld.

Doesn't it make them, like, Outcasts of Gallia?

Of course ZOI limitation is not a problem, but then it's a primarily pirate faction focused on extorting. Given that there are like only one-two traders around entire Gallia doesn't make it an option.

As for actual ZOI, Rousillion counts as Tau Borderworlds.
(11-08-2017, 11:35 PM)Toris Wrote: [ -> ] Of course ZOI limitation is not a problem, but then it's a primarily pirate faction focused on extorting. Given that there are like only one-two traders around entire Gallia doesn't make it an option.

I disagree.
A.) GMS are aplenty in Gallia and you'd find that indie traders are a very common sight there.
B.) Piracy is not the main concept I hinged the faction on, and even the stuff you talked about, shows that is [b]not[b] the main concept. You're kind of contradicting yourself with that.

(11-08-2017, 11:35 PM)Toris Wrote: [ -> ]As for actual ZOI, Rousillion counts as Tau Borderworlds.
I stand corrected.
(11-08-2017, 10:54 PM)Toris Wrote: [ -> ]After all, it is the Brigands - not Unione Corse - to own the entire blackmarket in Gallia.
According to whom? Control of and distribution of something in the blackmarket are two totally different concepts, but I digress since that point is open to interpretation.

(11-08-2017, 10:54 PM)Toris Wrote: [ -> ]Why not to extend their ZOI onto other houses, the primary choice being Kusari.

They already have Kyushu & Rishiri.

Brigands are nothing more than house pirates and they should remain as such. The ID already has a an OK ZoI which spans all of Taus + Kyushu. Within those Taus, they have access to 3 mining fields, one of which is IMG’s go to field (quite a busy one too), in addition to having a base nearby (Orkney). On top of that, Brigands have access to key systems that act as endpoints/bottlenecks for trade runs with ore being primary cargo: Lyonnais, IdF, Burgundy, Kyushu, etc. Only systems that should probably be added to the ID are Leeds & Edinburgh.

I’m afraid this is just another case of “I want my ID/Faction to be everything and do everything, everywhere by itself”. I think the last thing we need is yet another ID with nonsensical expansive ZoI rivaling that of OCs’.

Nobody is stopping Brigands from forging their own alliances and connections, in fact the current unofficial faction looks much more aligned with OCs than it is with Gallic unlawfuls (from what I've read and seen). I'd rather see ZoI expansion be result of some sort of RP rather than arbitrarily assigned.
hit the nail on the head, if the current faction goes official (Wich would rock) they can faction perk their zoi bigger to get more people flying. If anything, a Sirius wide engagement line for one of the Gallic corps is always an option. Not expanding zoi but also allowing for interaction outside their zoi.
Agreed. With EFL and all others, it would be logical for them to have Attack Gaul Corps Anywhere, just like Ageira having such a line.
(11-08-2017, 11:55 PM)Vulkhard Muller Wrote: [ -> ] hit the nail on the head, if the current faction goes official (Wich would rock)

If we had more members we'd most likely have tried already.
(11-08-2017, 11:47 PM)Neptune Wrote: [ -> ]Nobody is stopping Brigands from forging their own alliances and connections, in fact the current unofficial faction looks much more aligned with OCs than it is with Gallic unlawfuls (from what I've read and seen). I'd rather see ZoI expansion be result of some sort of RP rather than arbitrarily assigned.
That sounds about right, and I've tried to sort of reinvent the Brigands. I should also add that I agree completely with what you've said.
Pages: 1 2