Discovery Gaming Community

Full Version: What the Delta fight showed: Capital & Group Fights being ruined by...
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15
Heyho.

I guess many were part of the Delta fight today. I assume that everybody who was there saw that a few things were broken.

It was an amazing cap-fight and group-fight in general, however it also became clear that 2 things need to be changed fast because they are game breakers:

1. NEMPs should not be launchable at ships

The fun and the challenge in cap combat is to position yourself, to be in formations, to work together in close quarters. Sairs did that and in moment one of the fight they received a NEMP right into their middle. We did even know it would happen, did also know the shipname and were trying to counterplay it, yet there was just no way. It can be fired from a fighter, and who can keep track of the fighters in a massive combat scenario?

In our group, a cap came from Cambridge, /stucked itself through the Omegas and Omicrons, and died without firing a single shot to an insta kill weapon that there is no counterplay to. You can assume that the affected players were not at all happy.

> A weapon that has no counterplay is bad.
> A weapon that ruins the main part of what is fun in a fight is bad.

2. The cloaked jump abduction scheme

This has an even larger negative impact. This time, there were 3 (THREE) jumpships in the fight that were ferrying ships out to whatever remote places, then returned to do it again.

The fight was not won by shooting, not by tactics, nor skill... but by who could grab how many warships and ferry them to what point. That point had to be in a place that offered no option of fast suicide, far off the plane, far away from suns and planets, and of course in uncharted territory for the ID and with no objects visible for fast orientation.

> It resulted in really stupid situations (mass sundives after 100s of k of cruise, partner-killing, etc).
> It just makes no sense irp that this is the most effective strategy to win cap fights.
> It has no real counterplay. (even with Cloak Disruptors the jumping could not be avoided)
> It is actually more trolling than serious gaming (see choice of jump exit).

I would love to know how this epic fight would have been without all the buttockshattery, trolling and bad decisions that made it an oorp competition more than a worthwhile Disco experience. Disco's capfights and large groupfights can be spectacular and among the best that Disco offers... sadly these 2 ways of playing them makes them go bad very fast.

We can do better, but therefore this "mass jumping while cloaked" has to go, as well as "NEMPs vs. players" has to go.

Interested for your opinions.

~ Jack
NEMPs can be stopped with CDs. We proved that when spazzy launched one at us days before.
(11-09-2017, 02:51 AM)Jack_Henderson Wrote: [ -> ]1. NEMPs should not be launchable at ships

The fun and the challenge in cap combat is to position yourself, to be in formations, to work together in close quarters. Sairs did that and in moment one of the fight they received a NEMP right into their middle. We did even know it would happen, did also know the shipname and were trying to counterplay it, yet there was just no way. It can be fired from a fighter, and who can keep track of the fighters in a massive combat scenario?

In our group, a cap came from Cambridge, /stucked itself through the Omegas and Omicrons, and died without firing a single shot to an insta kill weapon that there is no counterplay to. You can assume that the affected players were not at all happy.

> A weapon that has no counterplay is bad.
> A weapon that ruins the main part of what is fun in a fight is bad.

Your joking right? The NEMP Launch was one of the epic parts of the last battle! And it made sense inRP.

You have that many Capital ships bearing down on you.
You have a WMD that could tip the scale (Which it didn't as we saw)
And you're not going to use it on the armada? What kinda logic is that?
(11-09-2017, 03:16 AM)Jadon King Wrote: [ -> ]Your joking right? The NEMP Launch was one of the epic parts of the last battle! And it made sense inRP.

I assume we have a very different idea of "epicness".
Sorry Jack but I don't have a big issue with either at the moment.
I can kinda understand Jump thing but on the other hand I do like it. No, I don't think it's trolling...

Like I understand the issue, but when the other side is shown they are using it, you gotta counter.
(11-09-2017, 03:31 AM)nOmnomnOm Wrote: [ -> ]Sorry Jack but I don't have a big issue with either at the moment.
I can kinda understand Jump thing but on the other hand I do like it. No, I don't think it's trolling...

Like I understand the issue, but when the other side is shown they are using it, you gotta counter.

of course the person who probably used cloak jump abductions the most in Delta has no issue with it lmao
(11-09-2017, 03:46 AM)t0l Wrote: [ -> ]
(11-09-2017, 03:31 AM)nOmnomnOm Wrote: [ -> ]Sorry Jack but I don't have a big issue with either at the moment.

of course the person who probably used cloak jump abductions the most in Delta has no issue with it lmao

Didn't start it though.
Cloak jump abductions !Nemps! Delta ! I'm missing all the fun these days Sad any videos of the action ? And what's a Nemp? Big Grin
I really enjoyed both the NEMP and the cloak jumps. Honestly, they were two of the most epic and fun things I've seen in my time in Disco, and watching Erzie's video doing the cloak jump made me want to join in the cap battles and have fun with you.

Sure, they are annoying for the other side, but they also have the ability to do it. What's unlucky is maybe that you lack the more daring and knowledgeable players. I also would not try this myself with my current cap flying knowledge and lack of credits, but I doubt everyone on your side would have such a restriction.
Perhaps if the jump batteries/drives were to take up space again, so to compete with cloaks and armour, making the abductor have to decide on which is more important/try to balance them out?
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15