Discovery Gaming Community

Full Version: Exceptional Roleplay
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
So, for some time (not sure when it started since it was here when I got here), we've had Special Roleplay instances where people have had ships specially outfitted with equipment, IFFs and follow a special ID setup. This isn't new, and it's public knowledge. However, getting an SRP takes a load of RP on the forums and in-game to create, and since it's judged on by the Admins it can take a load of time on top of the standard 250mil credit fee.

Personally, I find this to be perfectly alright. It's balanced so that we don't have people going for SRPs on an insane magnitude (A LibDread flying Nomad IFFs and Coalition guns) roaming around without check, but allows people who have done the work to change their ship, albeit a huge amount of work, the opportunity to do so and edit their character with admin approval.

However, there's people, and I know there are, who want to fly a special character with maybe one or two changes to their 'ID lines', but can't go through the process of making an SRP for one reason or another (i.e. not enough forum RP, lack of access to a ship/weapons, reputation issues, etc.).

Here I propose an idea.

As in the phrasing of 'Special' Roleplay, this would merely be 'Exceptional' Roleplay, in that, sure, it's special in it's own right, but only exceptionally. Meaning, it's an 'exception', not a special transformation.

The aim of this would be to allow people who want to change small things that have influence the opportunity to do so, while still paying a modest fee for their request and being monitored by everyone and anyone, not just the admins. Things like adding an ID line or two (or editing or removing one), or maybe even a small edit to that particular player's tech cell, ZoI or rep hacks on their ID would be available, but only one at a time. This would allow people to continue with their characters' stories while still being within bounds of the ID rules.

I'll put forth an example to clarify.
Say that a player has created a Rheinland Cruiser flying with the standard MND ID, which has the following lines to it:
Can demand contraband and levy fines within their Zone of Influence, and attack if ships refuse to comply.
Can attack ships which are in violation of Rheinland laws or belong to a house or organization considered hostile by Rheinland within their Zone of Influence.
Can defend allied or neutral lawful ships and bases within their Zone of Influence.
Can attack ships which belong to a house or organization considered hostile by Rheinland outside their Zone of Influence. Can demand transports which belong to a house or organization considered hostile by Rheinland to drop all cargo and attack if they refuse to comply.
Can ally with unlawful factions.
Cannot participate in unlawful actions except as described above.
Cannot use any transports with more than 4,300 cargo.
While using cruisers, can only attack in self-defense when outside their Zone of Influence.

Now, say this player has done some roleplay with a trader from the Zoners explaining the attacks in Delta. The player investigates, and eventually finds themselves seeking sides with the Core in the area to combat the Order and the Corsairs. Now, this would be outside his Zone of Influence, and as stated in the ID, he may only attack in self-defense. Since his character would be acting alongside the Core, a friendly lawful organization, this line is the only thing preventing him from actively aiding the Core, and since the Order are hostile to Rheinland, this line would also forbid him from acting on his own. This could impact how he plays his character, as he would be restricted to them attacking first since he's outside his zone of influence.

The player could propose to have the self-defense line removed from his specific ID, which would be held in record on the forums for the Admins and the public to view if allowed. The player would only be allowed this exception once accepted, and thus it would not be an immediate allowance to break the ID. In cases of rep changes, and most importantly tech cells, that would be up to the discretion of the admins, and would therefore be a little more difficult to get changed than a mere ID line.

Personally, I think a lot of people would benefit from this. Not mainly military factions, but intelligence and Freelancers in particular could be of great benefit to this, as the FL ID is very restricted in what it can do, while being allowed a full Sirius ZoI. If someone did roleplay for, say the brigands on their FL IDd ship, they could possibly get the line of 'May assist Gallic Brigand ships inside Gallia' added to their exception.

It's mildly tedious, and I know the Admins already have their hands full at times, but this could be monitored by the community as well as the Admins, and could be a great tool to encourage newcomers to get involved in the Disco universe. Seeing the Amenhotep in Liberty is awesome, or even the sight of the Legion's Ven'Gyr, but those are expensive ships to invest in, and stepping stones must be taken to access privileges like those. Exceptions to the Rule would allow players to taste the flavor of an SRP, but not be bound by the rigidity of the standard IDs.

Think on it. Feedback, especially from the administration team, would be very awesome, and.. hey, if this inspires something, then hoorah.
Alterations to ID lines and other small time stuff like this can be accomplished via an SRP, and is much less likely to pass than bigger things, overall requiring less roleplay. This seems redundant to me and I feel that your proposition here probably has a lot to do with the fact that SRPs are rarely ever used in this manner, even though we'd be perfectly happy to do so.
It's not really based on the fact that SRPs are rarely used, but more along the lines of they're more like an end-goal to RP. That special little thing you have that you put time into.

Take it from the perspective of a new player. They see a really cool Osiris flying around Liberty (Sorry, Kalh, but your ship is a good basis to use), and they think 'aw, that's cool. I wonder if I can get one. They do research, not much to find out that the Osiris is an Order only ship without special stuff. They work up to make an Order character and do the roleplay to evolve their character. taking a step from a regular Joe to an SRP is pretty big for anyone who doesn't have three already.

What I'm really getting at here is that it's mainly an idea to basically lily pad off one thing and eventually evolve the character into one with an SRP. That's my logic behind it all. Just small steps, small things to change that would be visible on the forums for people to see, and understand which ship is the one aiming to be the outlier.