Discovery Gaming Community

Full Version: A Few Forum Features
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
There are a few things on the forum that I've noticed have changed over time despite there being no visible reason for it. I'm just asking why because some of them were really useful, and some of these would be useful things to have.

1.) Default Forum Avatar:

The default forum avatar has returned to the default MyBB one rather than the custom black one that was made for these forums. I remember pointing this out to St. Denis a really long while ago (February), but it seems to have remained the same. Link to image.

Solved by

2.) The ability to quick quote:

A long while ago we had the ability to highlight segments of text from someone's post and an option would appear that allowed you to quote just that bit of text. This made things very handy for when you are picking apart big walls of text or addressing individual points. Out of all of the features, I can think of, this is the one I'd most like to see return.

Solved by

3.) Forum/Game Stats

(This one I think is API related) - It would be really nice if we could once again see what system was the most popular, what ship was most used, things like that. Maybe which ship of each class is most used? Would be pretty cool.

4.) Posting Signature After Preview

When previewing a new post (not thread) your there is no checkbox for "Signature: include your signature. (registered users only)" like you have on your thread. This means that you won't post with your signature unless you edit your post immediately after posting; this is why there are so many posts in the " Do you like the signature above me? " thread. I think this is a relatively easy fix as well.

Solved by

5.) Can we change the CSS for shoutbox text from #555 to #a0a0a0? It is a lot easier to read. Also, could we remove the solid border around avatars in the shoutbox? That last one is more personal preference.

6.) The default avatar of the shoutbox is "images/default_avatar.png" when it should be "images/default_avatar_disco.png". A quick change in inspect element fixed this, so it should just be a quick template adjustment.

Will add more as I remember. Had about 8 when I started writing, funny how memory works.
Do you see my signature now?
No.

And after editing, it is. My point.
(12-16-2017, 02:46 PM)Laz Wrote: [ -> ]No.

Interesting. I did enable it via user panel later on, so I see it is visible to guests too. Trying with preview thing now.

Yet I don't see any ability to enable signature from preview either.

EDIT: So not preview, but via edit function you can enable it. Oh my. So the signature I paid for to promote my factions were not visible most of the times? Why would staff be so cruel?
(12-16-2017, 02:20 PM)Laz Wrote: [ -> ]1.) Default Forum Avatar:

The default forum avatar has returned to the default MyBB one rather than the custom black one that was made for these forums. I remember pointing this out to St. Denis a really long while ago (February), but it seems to have remained the same. Link to image.
Wouldn't be surprised if an upgrade had killed some customisation we made. Did we just overwrite images/default_avatar.png ? If so I think we can just upload the proper one to the web server, get a forum admin to point the useravatar setting at it, and fix the shoutbox code not to hardcode the default URL.

(12-16-2017, 02:20 PM)Laz Wrote: [ -> ]2.) The ability to quick quote:

A long while ago we had the ability to highlight segments of text from someone's post and an option would appear that allowed you to quote just that bit of text. This made things very handy for when you are picking apart big walls of text or addressing individual points. Out of all of the features, I can think of, this is the one I'd most like to see return.
I don't know what code provided this.

(12-16-2017, 02:20 PM)Laz Wrote: [ -> ]3.) Forum/Game Stats

(This one I think is API related) - It would be really nice if we could once again see what system was the most popular, what ship was most used, things like that. Maybe which ship of each class is most used? Would be pretty cool.
(Me and Laz are discussing how to achieve this)

(12-16-2017, 02:20 PM)Laz Wrote: [ -> ]5.) Can we change the CSS for shoutbox text from #555 to #a0a0a0? It is a lot easier to read.
Ask a forum admin.
(12-16-2017, 02:20 PM)Laz Wrote: [ -> ]4.) Posting Signature After Preview

When previewing a new post (not thread) your there is no checkbox for "Signature: include your signature. (registered users only)" like you have on your thread. This means that you won't post with your signature unless you edit your post immediately after posting; this is why there are so many posts in the " Do you like the signature above me? " thread. I think this is a relatively easy fix as well.
Took a bit of investigation but I believe I've fixed this. Had to correct a template. Let me know if anything new about signatures is broken.
Sweet. Thanks Alex.
(12-16-2017, 06:11 PM)Alex. Wrote: [ -> ]

Wouldn't be surprised if an upgrade had killed some customisation we made. Did we just overwrite images/default_avatar.png ? If so I think we can just upload the proper one to the web server, get a forum admin to point the useravatar setting at it, and fix the shoutbox code not to hardcode the default URL.
From what I know, you should need to replace the default image @ root/images/default_avatar.png
(12-16-2017, 02:20 PM)Laz Wrote: [ -> ]2.) The ability to quick quote:

I'd look inside root/inc/plugins to see if anything resembles a fast/quick quote utility, that should tell us if it's custom coded or a downloaded plugin. You can also check the root/jscripts folder which might contain similar hints to that.
(12-18-2017, 01:18 PM)Laz Wrote: [ -> ]

From what I know, you should need to replace the default image @ root/images/default_avatar.png
I've fixed this now.
(12-18-2017, 01:18 PM)Laz Wrote: [ -> ]
Quote:
Quote:2.) The ability to quick quote:

I'd look inside root/inc/plugins to see if anything resembles a fast/quick quote utility, that should tell us if it's custom coded or a downloaded plugin. You can also check the root/jscripts folder which might contain similar hints to that.
Also fixed. Was just more messing with templates - this time postbit_classic - to make the button (that gets unhidden by JS upon selecting stuff to quote) actually be added to the HTML in the first place.
Pages: 1 2