Discovery Gaming Community

Full Version: My opinion on why the game has constantly been losing players
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19
(07-09-2018, 01:25 PM)Sombra Hookier Wrote: [ -> ]Pretty sure every ambitious person of the staff would be more inclined to work on improvements if they had more time. Less reports and symptoms for such, in general, would save a lot of time. Meaning people who complain should spend their energy less on complaining but on helping newcomers on not violating rules and not being a dick in discussions to derail them.

No, it's not (only) a matter of time or workload.

There are lots of people who are willing to be admins, mods, or devs, and who are already trying to contribute even without receiving any shiny orange, green, or gold position.

It's a matter of how admins and devs organize themselves and how contributions are turned down because of petty pride and/or personal grievances.

To give an example of what I'm talking about, lets talk about "helping newcomers" since you brought that up.

You know what would help newcomers more than you telling others to go help newcomers and calling people who already do more than that dicks because it will give you admin/dev popularity points?

Actually having the rules and useful game/lore help accessible ingame in a complete, readable, and understandable manner, so people who do want to help don't have to either type everything out to them or send them to a poorly organized forum.

All the work for that was already done.

Part of it was even already ingame, the only dev work required being importing infocards from a file and copy pasting a sytem file into a folder.

But you know what happened?

It was removed one mod patch afterwards, and replaced by a half-baked something that:
- provides almost no help, but poorly written opinion pieces on how the author thinks newcomers should behave
- tells nothing about the game's lore
- does not include the rules
- pulls the texts from the server every time it's opened
- doesn't cover the most basic and important game mechanics
- is harder to overlook and search because its not sorted or grouped by topic but alphabetically, providing no structure to overlook, and requiring typing
- isn't even readable while navigating because you cant click anything nor control your ship with its text window open, thereby making it even more inconvenient to read ingame than reading the forum in windowed mode. (unlike the Help System it replaced, which let players read while comfortably navigating through lanes)

And it was removed not because it was better in any way other than being editable without server patches (which happen far more frequently than rule, lore, or game mechanic changes anyway), but after someone half my age got upset that I told him his way of doing things doesn't work (and I was proven to be right later) and he ended up convincing the right people through brown-nosing and misinformation.

This is not a matter of lack of time, or of players not willing to contribute. They wasted both their and my time to make something existing far worse.

It's a matter of people unable to overcome their petty pride, and using positions to advance the latter instead of the mod.
Here's my two cents;

First as why I quit three years ago: I just had managed to get my SRP through, and I couldn't be more excited to have the freedom of RP I always wanted with that character. Even trying to make it more exciting for people with a Necrosis. (People love seeing rare things.) I remember spending hours upon hours flying through Borderworlds, Taus and Omegas without seeing a single player. It was soul crushing.

Now my try of returnal this weekend: All my stuff is gone, so I logged on some shared stuff, a Wilde in this case; I scanned the players online and chose a system with the most people online (e.g. Frankfurt with 10 people, mostly [RHA]), looking forward to some fun RP. In the end, it took me almost an hour to get there, luckily with the people still online. Spent another hour flying through Frankfurt from one point of interest to the other, 100k from JH to JH without seeing anything on my 15k range scanners.

To someone with very limited time, Disco just became a waste of time. It used to be easy to find RP encounters with four times the players online, sure. But it feels like there haven't been any actions to adjust the world map to the lower player count. I can't tell what the ultimate solution would be, and I don't want to sit down and figure something out*, because to me it might be bettter to just accept the past and future and get along without Disco in my life.

*we have Karlotta for that
Karlotta, have you considered that insulting people even passive-aggressively makes people less likely to even read your posts?
Ha. You're funny Karlotta.
(07-09-2018, 03:15 PM)Sombra Hookier Wrote: [ -> ]Karlotta, have you considered that insulting people even passive-aggressively makes people less likely to even read your posts?

If people feel insulted by people mentioning their actions, there's probably something wrong with their actions.

Also, is that worse than insulting people directly by calling them dicks?
The problem is that you're so adamant about you having done everything so much better while insulting staff and half of the community for things you accuse them (because that's easier) while you are probably aware that your general attitude brought you how far? that is makes me wonder why you never tried a more adjusted way of using the bit of attention people give you every now and then.

Just saying. Maybe there are other reasons for things not going the way you like than you accuse them to be.
(07-09-2018, 03:10 PM)Narcotic Wrote: [ -> ]I can't tell what the ultimate solution would be, and I don't want to sit down and figure something out*,

*we have Karlotta for that

Yes we do. Bless me.
The problem with K is; It might be the right ideas and impulses, but it's coming from the wrong person, and people annoy that.
(07-09-2018, 03:10 PM)Narcotic Wrote: [ -> ]Now my try of returnal this weekend: All my stuff is gone, so I logged on some shared stuff, a Wilde in this case; I scanned the players online and chose a system with the most people online (e.g. Frankfurt with 10 people, mostly [RHA]), looking forward to some fun RP. In the end, it took me almost an hour to get there, luckily with the people still online. Spent another hour flying through Frankfurt from one point of interest to the other, 100k from JH to JH without seeing anything on my 15k range scanners.

Most people solve that by having either JDs on their expensive ships or snubs in every house since they are undeniable cheap. That being said, both solutions aren't working for gunboats and cruisers. I do think you've been choosing unfortunate factions for such things, though, as RHA and Wilde are having large ZoIs that have high travel times. As Wilde, you have better times finding brawls and RP in Delta. As RHA, well, you need to tag along with the others and hope for people still willing to get overwhelmed by Wesker. ;3
(07-09-2018, 03:24 PM)Sombra Hookier Wrote: [ -> ]The problem is that you're so adamant about you having done everything so much better while insulting staff and half of the community for things you accuse them (because that's easier) while you are probably aware that your general attitude brought you how far? that is makes me wonder why you never tried a more adjusted way of using the bit of attention people give you every now and then.

Just saying. Maybe there are other reasons for things not going the way you like than you accuse them to be.

The white knight has arrived to defend the admins/devs from evil Karlotta dragon by skipping over every single argument provided and saying "you're criticizing so that's like insulting". Maybe I'm not doing what you suggest because participating in something detrimental isn't exactly the best way to fight it?

If my intetion was to insult someone I'd be more like... "I may be a dragon, but you're a *bleeep*" (sun)
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19