Discovery Gaming Community

Full Version: My opinion on why the game has constantly been losing players
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19
(07-09-2018, 03:30 PM)Sombra Hookier Wrote: [ -> ]Wilde are having large ZoIs that have high travel times

I wish Wilde/Khara had access to all-vessel-no-fuel-jumpdrives. I'd totally return for that.
I mean nomad tech could justify any op stuff, so why not. They even got infinite cloaks.
(07-09-2018, 03:27 PM)Narcotic Wrote: [ -> ]The problem with K is; It might be the right ideas and impulses, but it's coming from the wrong person, and people annoy that.

That's exactly what I was talking about, thank you.
... to be honest, K'Hara and Wilde should really get the Iota gates back. Not for the capitals but at least to reach Drake, 58, 55, 44, Kepler and Tohoku.
I don't want to sound like an ass kisser, but so far, Karlotta seems to be the one with the right mindset about the real situation of Discovery and how to create a work frame for the betterment and longevity of the community. Not saying others are in the complete negative since I notice this community is full of good people but, some seem to be stuck in past where the servers where filled with players. So far from the 3 weeks I've been playing, around 52 is the maximum I've seen so far.
I have tried to stay out of this, and other conversations, but sometimes it is better to throw caution to the wind and get things off of your chest.

I am one of those hated Admins (whipping boys) that gets the blame for everything wrong with the Game and/or the Forum.

But lets get one thing straight, the Admins (Spawns of the Devil) have some control over things, but when it comes to Game Development (ie where Jump Holes are, what Systems stay/go, and where the Story is actually going), well that belongs to the Devs. Most of the time, when a new patch comes out, I have no knowledge of what is coming and I wait like most of you (it would appear that some people are 'fed' information, beforehand, but I can honestly say, I am not in that circle), t find out any changes.

The Mods, generally look after the Forums, with some input from the Admins and some of the Senior Devs.

But time after time, I see the same 'jump on the bandwagon' mentality of, "blame the Admins".

I don't expect gratitude for what we do, but it is nice when a I get a pm from someone I have helped out, saying "thanks". It makes this, sometimes, thankless task, a pleasure to do, feeling you have helped someone and they have appreciated it.

Now, Karlotta, I have read most, if not all your Posts regarding changes. I have often thought of adding my input, but knowing your 'well publicised view of 'THE BIASED ADMINS', I have refrained from doing so, because I feel if I say anything negative (even it is a small something), that you will jump and instantly say "see, I told you the Admins are biased and have it in for me". Have you ever thought that maybe this is why the Admins keep quiet when you go on your Crusade of 'I know better than everyone else, including those useless, biased Admins'.

You had a long History, even when I joined this Community in 2011, with the Admins. The running battles I saw on the Forums between you and them. But the problem I have is, that was 7 years ago and a lot of Admins have been and gone, over those years. The people you started the battle with retired years ago. Yet you still have this ongoing vendetta against people, some of whom weren't even playing then.

Some of the present Admins are ones that agreed to let you come back, but still, somehow, we are still the bad guys. If we didn't want you here, you wouldn't have been allowed , legally, back. You then could have carried on your ageless battle, against the Forces of Evil. But you you were allowed back and yet you still have this paranoid theory that the 'ADMINS ARE OUT TO GET ME'.

It might surprise you to know, that the day doesn't start with/end with discussions about Karlotta. You are just not that important. You are one of the Community and your opinion is worth an equal amount, as is everyone else.

As for the reason why this Game has decreased, in popularity, there is no one deciding Factor. To some the Systems are too many, to others not enough. Some want to do nothing but shoot others all day long. Whereas some want to log on, talk to friends, take their time doing whatever they want to do. Some come here to have fun, at other people's expense and kick over sandcastles.

The Devs need to make this Game, in my opinion, cater for all styles of play. It is a thankless task as no matter what they do, somebody will be upset.

The biggest problem is, that some people believe that their opinion is the most important and the one that the Devs/Admins should listen to. Then, when that doesn't happen, they rant and rave at how incompetent the Devs/Admins are. For every subject discussed on this Forum, you can find 10, 20, 30 differing opinions. They will always go from one extreme to another. The Devs, hopefully, try to compromise what they do to cater for all, because if you decided to cater purely to one Group, you will lose the others.

There is no one solution, no matter what we wish, that will 'fix' the problems, real or perceived.

I can tell you one thing though, if the Devs and Admins all quit tomorrow and another 2 Teams magically stepped in an took over, in time, the same conversations will be spread all over the Forums on how incompetent the Devs/Admins are. It is Human Nature to moan about things you don't like.
Seems like personal issues and prides are getting in the way of looking at ideas and concepts for what they are.
(07-09-2018, 05:27 PM)Manu Wrote: [ -> ]Seems like personal issues and prides are getting in the way of looking at ideas and concepts for what they are.

That's exactly what I was saying.

(07-09-2018, 04:45 PM)St.Denis Wrote: [ -> ]Now, Karlotta, I have read most, if not all your Posts regarding changes. I have often thought of adding my input, but knowing your 'well publicised view of 'THE BIASED ADMINS', I have refrained from doing so, because I feel if I say anything negative (even it is a small something), that you will jump and instantly say "see, I told you the Admins are biased and have it in for me". Have you ever thought that maybe this is why the Admins keep quiet when you go on your Crusade of 'I know better than everyone else, including those useless, biased Admins'.

You had a long History, even when I joined this Community in 2011, with the Admins. The running battles I saw on the Forums between you and them. But the problem I have is, that was 7 years ago and a lot of Admins have been and gone, over those years. The people you started the battle with retired years ago. Yet you still have this ongoing vendetta against people, some of whom weren't even playing then.

Some of the present Admins are ones that agreed to let you come back, but still, somehow, we are still the bad guys. If we didn't want you here, you wouldn't have been allowed , legally, back. You then could have carried on your ageless battle, against the Forces of Evil. But you you were allowed back and yet you still have this paranoid theory that the 'ADMINS ARE OUT TO GET ME'.

It might surprise you to know, that the day doesn't start with/end with discussions about Karlotta. You are just not that important. You are one of the Community and your opinion is worth and equal amount as everyone else.

Well St Denis, thank you very much for finally talking to me about what you think. There are a few things in your post, and some things that are implicit with them, that I'd like to answer to.

Implicit in all you say is that everything I criticize about admins is posted simply because I think they're out to get me and I want to get back at... who ever... and that everything I say is purely out of personal hatred against all admins.

It's not.

By saying "I'm not replying to karlotta because she thinks admins are biased" you're (again) falling into the circular logic and self-fulfilling prophesy trap started by the few 2009 admins who said "Karlotta hates me as an admin, not because I did anything bad, and she hates you too because you're an admin". By not replying to me because of what they said, you're displaying obvious bias against me. Then I'll tell you that you're being biased by not replying to me. Then you'll feel confirmed for thinking I'm thinking you're biased, and in everything people told you about me too. You'll feel confirmed in your bias and keep being biased against me, and its a never ending circle.

The only ways to break this circle is to engage in actual factual arguments with me and find out if its true that I'm just posting because I have a personal fetish for hating admins, or if there's actually a good reason why I'm saying what I'm saying.
(07-09-2018, 05:43 PM)Karlotta Wrote: [ -> ]
(07-09-2018, 05:27 PM)Manu Wrote: [ -> ]Seems like personal issues and prides are getting in the way of looking at ideas and concepts for what they are.

Oh, I love double edged swords so much.
(07-09-2018, 06:02 PM)Thyrzul Wrote: [ -> ]
(07-09-2018, 05:43 PM)Karlotta Wrote: [ -> ]

Oh, I love double edged blades so much.

As if you're not posting what you post at me because of a personal issue that started with my factual disagreement with your idea of connecting gallia in a 3d way. But please, do tell everyone I'm a horrible person if it makes you feel good.
(07-09-2018, 03:26 PM)Karlotta Wrote: [ -> ]
(07-09-2018, 03:10 PM)Narcotic Wrote: [ -> ]I can't tell what the ultimate solution would be, and I don't want to sit down and figure something out*,

*we have Karlotta for that

Yes we do. Bless me.

Funny that. I replied to that thread five months ago to tell you why that doesn't work. Pretty much killed the thread. I'd love to hear your rebuttal, but I haven't.

Your graphs and the explanations given do not follow from each other because your underlying assumptions are incomplete and easy to circumvent. Your proposal just cuts content without giving anything in return. Network routing is essentially a pricing issue, not a connectivity issue. Data packages (players, in this case) go out of their way to avoid bottlenecks, because they're pricey, and with every node (base) being agnostic in terms of being an entry or exit point for a trade route, there's no telling exactly where players will be at any given point, meaning they'll be just as randomly distributed as they are now. Some nodes having a higher connectivity than others does not translate into higher chances of encounters, just in higher changes of repetitive most optimal paths. But without any reason to linger in a location, there is never going to be the build-up of traffic that leads to encounters, as statistically everyone remains just as likely to pass by each other as before.

If you want to increase the chance of encounters, you actually have to concentrate node density, not edge density. Which basically translates to: put 50% of commodity points of sales in ~2% of the systems, without increasing the amount of dockable bases, and spread the other 50% among 98% of the systems. Then adjust commodities and prices to have a directional flow from low density areas ("rural production" aka mining in Freelancer) to high density areas, while labour intensive commodities (consumer goods) flow between densely populated areas only. For example: a hauler flying between New Berlin and New Tokyo should always incur an opportunity goods for selling their goods in the Sigmas, rather than being guaranteed an equal credits/second rate regardless of where they go. Ideally, doing all this, when in the most profitable areas, it should have to take a hauler several minutes of queuing behind other players and/or NPC's before they get to land, with the queuing happening in about 2% of the map where the highest profits area. That's an actual bottleneck giving pirates targets to raid, and house police targets to protect.

Your proposal of just increasing edge connectivity density does nothing when players can bypass each other just as well as before, since edge capacity is basically unlimited in Freelancer. It is node capacity that is limited and which should be focused on. Systems are not nodes, just a collection of edges. Traders just going past each other and going "Hai, bye!" is not an engaging encounter.

To illustrate, have a picture of where economic activity is located in the US:
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19