Discovery Gaming Community

Full Version: Destroyers vs. Battlecruisers
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
After a few fights against the new battlecruisers in the Coalition destroyer I have noticed one major issue: Speed. Why are destroyers, small ships with low armor and power core, slower than battlecruisers? It's a pain to fight them and once they have you in a certain range you are doomed, as you are unable to thrust away due to their speed. Why is the normal speed of a destroyer 69ms and 129ms while thrusting? A battlecruiser has 79ms in free flight and 119ms while thrusting, the difference is so minor that you can barely get away from those ships.

They seem to have this "perfect" range at which almost every shot of a battlecruiser is a hit, no matter how much you turret steer in a Typhoon, should be around 1k distance, everything below is almost certain death, as you can only outsteer a few shots at once, some will hit, and with the new battlecruiser weapons, those that hit hurt you a lot. Normally you wouldn't come that close to a battlecruiser of course, but their reverse speed is very fast at 25ms, so if a battlecruiser decides to thrust backwards to get away from you, you will have to turn. Now this is a common practice for larger ships to make smaller ships come close to them so that they can quickly snap forward and unleash their fire. A battlecruiser will do just the same to try and get you in this super fine range of 1000m and less. Everyone does mistakes once but doing the mistake of getting only a tad too close to a battlecruiser is instant death because that is the moment where a destroyer should be able to run from the behemoth shooting at it but no, it can't, it is too slow. If you are lucky you are at ~900m so if you dodge well enough you will get away but with significantly less hull than before, at 800m and below you are dead.

I don't think it is logical for destroyers to be almost as slow as a battlecruiser (they're already slower in reverse as them in the first place) when they get nothing in return. One mistake and a destroyer suffers a lot.
Is the speed of the destroyers less than that of the BC? I've already fought so many times, I did not notice the difference. Everything depends on the ship.
Cruisers are reliably 9m/s faster than Battlecruisers in thrust, cruisers with a setup to tackle heavy ships have 3k range pulses and 2.25k range light mortars, if you use another setup you are not equipped to fight a ship MEANT to fight the class you're flying.
It's just that I never experienced problems on Storta when I fought against the opponent's BC.
No, they are 10ms more in thrust but the point is that this "advantage" is so minor that it does not compensate for all the other disadvantages a destroyer already has. Not to mention that you, as a destroyer, constantly have to turret steer which takes even more speed away.
(01-03-2018, 02:21 PM)Shelco Wrote: [ -> ]No, they are 10ms more in thrust but the point is that this "advantage" is so minor that it does not compensate for all the other disadvantages a destroyer already has. Not to mention that you, as a destroyer, constantly have to turret steer which takes even more speed away.

Well, I somehow suggested fixing the speed for so powerful BC.
(01-03-2018, 02:20 PM)Gagadug. Wrote: [ -> ]Cruisers are reliably 9m/s faster than Battlecruisers in thrust, cruisers with a setup to tackle heavy ships have 3k range pulses and 2.25k range light mortars, if you use another setup you are not equipped to fight a ship MEANT to fight the class you're flying.

But are battlecruisers meant to fight smaller ships? Weren't they always the counter to battleships while the destroyer's purpose was to fight everything larger and being good in that due to their size and SPEED? A cruiser and a battlecruiser don't have the power difference a destroyer and a battlecruiser have. Destroyers are not meant to avoid battlecruisers at all costs.
You may want to consider training your turretsteering if you cant make use of 10m/s more speed, smaller circles will make your ships slow down less and gain range.
The speed of BCs was not changed in the rework, they were not able to catch up to cruisers before and are not able to do it now either. If you get too close you were baited.
The standard impulse speed is easily explainable as: The larger ship has a larger engine and reactor, so it's able to push itself easier. Now I was present for one of the latest fights, and I can say right now, the error in that fight was not the ship but pilot error in being baited in by the opposing player. Speed had nothing to do with the situation when you turned around to face your larger opponent, in a fight you could have easily won had you not done that. The Coalition destroyer is a decent light cruiser, and if done right, that minute speed difference while thrusting is a large tactical advantage when coupled with it's slim profile. The ship is fine and the speeds are fine, but what I saw was pilot error, not ship deficiency.
(01-03-2018, 02:29 PM)DarkTails Wrote: [ -> ]The standard impulse speed is easily explainable as: The larger ship has a larger engine and reactor, so it's able to push itself easier. Now I was present for one of the latest fights, and I can say right now, the error in that fight was not the ship but pilot error in being baited in by the opposing player. Speed had nothing to do with the situation when you turned around to face your larger opponent, in a fight you could have easily won had you not done that. The Coalition destroyer is a decent light cruiser, and if done right, that minute speed difference while thrusting is a large tactical advantage when coupled with it's slim profile. The ship is fine and the speeds are fine, but what I saw was pilot error, not ship deficiency.

Yes, my mistake was the turn, I know. The point is that at a certain range you will get hit by the battlecruisers 1200ms weapons so often that you will simply go down. The speed is in so far a disadvantage that it is not enough to allow you gaining a wide range to your opponent from which you won't get constantly hit by some weapons. It takes too long to get out of the BC's gun-efficient range and in a destroyer that hurts a lot.
Pages: 1 2