Discovery Gaming Community

Full Version: To: 72nd| || From: The National Council, Benito Contari
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
[Image: anzUAwD.png]

To the attention of the Seventy Second,

A scout of the Council has recently had an unfortunate encounter with one of your own. You will find the logs attached. The Council inquires as to an explanation for this behaviour and notes that failure to comply will see your reputation to Malta worsened.

- -- -{ Transmission Initiated }- -- -

[Image: edixs9O.png]

[Comm-ID]: Presidente Gabriella de la Zerda - República Democrática de Malta
[Receiver-ID]: Benito Contari - National Council
[Location]: Heaven's Summit, Aragon system, Hispania Space

[Subject]: Incident

[Priority]: High
[Encryption]: Strong

Buenos dias.

Before I begin, I would like to state that I am not an active, participating member of the Seventy-second, whom we refer to as the 'Armed Forces'. My role is merely figurehead and head of state for the Republic of Malta, so mentioned by our captain aboard the Santa Maria. While the Fleet does not answer to me, their key leadership does, and to forego a diplomatic and/or military incident, I'll step in his place as a more.. 'level-headed' voice.

I want to apologize for Colonel Valdez's actions and statements. In many ways he represents the Republic, but there are in fact discrepancies within his judgement that he will be notified about. Still, there are items that the National Council should be informed upon from a less 'direct' standpoint.

Firstly, while I am well aware the Council maintains it's own set of 'laws and regulations', the Republic does as well, and therefore adheres to those of the Codex instead of the Council. This matter was in fact summoned up, and agreed upon, by both myself and Senor Santiago, the lead figurehead of the Armed Forces. While the Codex itself is up to each pilot's depiction, it does outline the intent fairly well, and Colonel Valdez was merely adhering to the direct statement of the Codex in it's entirety, a sign of integrity that few these days seem to strive to.

Secondly, and what I believe you are most interested in, is the Republic's view on the 'National Council', or rather lack thereof. On almost every occasion, your group is eyed with the same disdain that any enemy of Malta is viewed with, for almost all of the same reasons. It was agreed upon that corruption and infestation have infiltrated the Council's ranks through your mergers with the prior tyrants of the homeworld, most notable being the Crimson Cross, an enemy the Fleet, and by extension the Republic, have fought with a grueling hatred. As the Council has more-or-less accepted these remnants of failed governance into their fold, and thus their imperfections, the same corruption and infestation that plagued them now plagues the Council.

There was no attempt at diplomatic relations as the Fleet Admiral was convinced that cooperating with the Council would only spell an end to the efforts we'd worked so hard for. We'd no idea how far the infestation had gone, and thus the eye of corruption was extended to the entirety of the Council.

And thirdly, the view of the 'Orange Dream'. While it is true that the Republic is of Maltese origin flying Maltese flags and ships, all equipped with Maltese arms, the Nacion is far a solely Maltese state. As a true Republic, men and women from across the colonies have accepted their place within our society, and as such the Republic has adapted to the needs of the people that comprise our force. The Republic does not hold the same view on Cardamine as the Council seems to. There is no 'Orange Dream', but instead only a goal to understand the good that it can do, instead of simply introducing it to any and all we come across. The Republic follows this mentality to better the people of the homeworld, whether it be orthodox or not.

I believe that 'clarifies' what might be questioned here that Colonel Valdez did not already do for me. Perhaps once the Council finds a way to root out the 'evil' and corruption that controls it, then the Republic will work happily alongside for the betterment of the Maltese people. Otherwise, I can't speak for the Armed Forces aside from explaining the reasoning in a more 'politically friendly' manner.

Should the Council not be satisfied with this response, do feel free to contact Senorita Iltzmann, my secretary. She will relay it to myself.

Despedida.

- Presidente Gabriella de la Zerda, Democratic Republic of Malta.

- -- -{ Transmission Terminated }- -- -
[Image: 3HPkrac.png]

It is always a marvel to see righteous men and women with little to no self-awareness.

The Council has since its inception been about integration rather than dividing the Nation. We are well aware of the state of our culture and we strife to preserve it without fighting it. You disrespect the Code of Interstellar Laws, disregarding the fact that it has been established not solely to further the National Council but to create a modicum of stability, a kernel of consent that the majority of Maltese can agree upon. Cardamine is a major part of that, as you may know. Opposing its export would mean a major decrease in wealth and lead to poverty, famine, and ultimately the death of the Maltese people. I hope you are aware that there is no stopping the Cardamine trade without being willing to eradicate an entire people, Signora. I wonder how you bring this into accord with your 'democratic' and 'egalitarian' principles. Evil tongues might assume that you are being played by the non-Maltese elements within your ranks to willingly bring about the reduction of the Nation to one of beggars. Surely, you are too smart for that, however.

In any case, the Council has no intention of letting this incident slip. I will now connect the Lane Hacker in question into this communication, and then you will listen to him and do whatever it is he wants as compensation for the obstruction of the Cardamine trade.

...hack.initiated...connecting.to.Spyglass.Network...decryption.in.progress...
...Professor.Provocateur.Nicole.Hunter.recognized...encoding.transmission...
...uploading.data...

[Image: 1a.png][Image: 7.png]

Senor Contari,

Thank you for extending this channel to The Lane Hackers. I wish to compliment the way in which your operative handled the incident. It was truly professional work in a very difficult position. Please send my gratitude to your fine pilot.

Senorita Zerda,

I am known by the alias Nicole Hunter and I am presiding over the Professorship of The Lane Hackers. It is a great pleasure to meet you, despite the unfortunate circumstances that led to this communique. Let me start by assuring you that I am genuinely interested in an amicable resolution of the incident. For this reason allow me to present you my personal thoughts on this matter. For over 5 years now I am struggling to help our Maltese allies to unify and peacefully resolve their differences. I have devoted a lot of resources, energy and time to normalize relations between Malta and number of its allies after the civil war. It is my personal commitment to do whatever it takes to prevent another Maltese civil war if it is only possible. I believe it is important for you to understand that my intentions are genuine. The best interest of Malta is also the best interest of The Lane Hackers.

As you surely know first hand Malta society is divided between the two extremes. One extreme is devoted to the Nomad interests and ultimately betrayed the human kind in favor of the alien species. I am obviously referring to organizations such as The Commune, The Oracles, bygone Crimson Cross or 101st under Casta family reign, who harbor known infectees and openly work for the alien agenda. Another extreme is represented by idealists such as yourself. There is, however, a middle ground that opposes alien subjugation while remaining pragmatic enough to see the economic potential of the Cardamine. I am delighted to see this common sense approach being the cornerstone of the National Council, as it was also the case for former Contari Lance and 101st under more reasonable leaders.

You surely understand that Malta population, even considering the labor resettlement programs and an influx of volunteers from across the Sirius, is relatively small in comparison to its numerous enemies on every single border. Considering low fertility and limited industry, Cardamine is, at least for now, vital to the survival of Malta. It is the real fuel for your war machine which is the only thing standing between Malta and forces of Gallia, Kusari, Corsairs or even Crayter Republic, not to mention armed corporations such as Core, GMG and IMG. Cardamine is for Malta what oil was for Arab states on ancient Earth. Their wise leaders knew that oil wells will eventually get dry and when it happens the billionaire will become a beggar overnight. Instead of vanquishing the oil industry straight away they decided to invest their wealth into new technologies with an aim to establish this way a sustainable economy. By the time electric and hydrogen engines made oil based fuels obsolete, most Arab states managed to become technological hubs attracting the best and brightest from all around the globe.

A wise idealist is the patient one. There is no stopping of the Cardamine trade now. However, considering our Cardamine-extended life-spans we may all live to see the bright future you are dreaming of. But only if we work together. As I see it our differences are negligible if you compare us with the Nomad-worshipers from The Commune who openly practice eugenics and transhumanism. If I was you I would certainly prefer to seek compromise with us instead of the Commune. However, survival of Malta is above everything else. If you insist on endangering it by suffocating us with your embargoes, you will leave me no other option. Cardamine must flow and if I have to ally myself with the devil to ensure it, reluctantly, I will.

I would really love to speak with you directly in a hope of reaching a long-term compromise and possibly a prelude of a fruitful cooperation.

Kind regards,
Professor Provocateur
Nicole Hunter

P.S. I do kindly ask you to send 40 000 000 SC to LH~R&D as a refund for our lost income from the halted transport.

...encryption.in.progress...disconnecting.from.network...hack.terminated...

[Receiver-ID]: Nicole Hunter - Lane Hackers

[Subject]: --

Senorita Hunter.

I'm not sure I've ever truly met any Lane Hacker before, so forgive me if the event is a little underwhelming.

I appreciate your honesty, and while I can't say that the Republic's ideals lie with your beliefs, I will say that the whole of the Nacion feels sympathetic to a point. The Republic's goals do not lie with 'destroying the economy' or any item of the sort. In contrast, the cabinet and military body has seen great promise in Cardamine, though not through the use of raw trade. As you reference ancient Earth, and the old Arab states, so will I, though on a much different course.

As it did back then, the psychoactive drug known as marijuana floats around our abodes like air and bad Neural Net jokes. The drug back then was used purely as a form of relaxation device, and in time, was eventually used to help nullify the chronic pains of individuals who had been subjected to trauma unable to cured by standard medicines. Over time, the drug was put to the same use constantly, and while the synthetic version we have today is more or less a carbon copy or the original in almost all aspects, it does not range past the ability to reduce pain. The Republic's scientists have theorized that while Cardamine can have lasting effects, all of which you're familiar with, such as extended life expectancy, increased physical strength and cognitive function, experimentation with the drug has given light to the idea that more good could come from it than was ever perceived before. The benefits without the ailments, long lasting boosts to the benefits, and even a lack of effects from withdrawal were theorized.

The Republic's goal was never to destroy Malta's economy, and certainly not to see the homeworld besieged by enemies. In fact, certain opponents of the 'Orange Dream', as well as the homeworld in general, have seen promise in the Republic's goals, which the Council refuses to understand could potentially be a greater benefit to our society than the original idea of cardamine smuggling could ever be. While we'll never expect groups such as the Commune, the 'Oracles' or the 101st see the light of the ideas the Republic hopes to make reality, their disregard being one of our main motivators, we do believe that their refusal will continue to feed the growing desire of the Maltese people to adapt and change to better fit the survival of our society. Where your belief stands with continuing the trade that, in the end, poisons our people, we see promise in ending the pointless fighting with groups that would rather see promise from our culture.

In short, the Republic will continue to abhor slavery, the trade and the continuation of wars that in truth stem from the 'Dream'. Adaptation and change will do the homeworld good, and while it may be a prod to some of the factions the Council sees as allies, we will continue to drive on to work for a better Malta.

To remedy the tension, however, I will speak with my advisors and the Fleet Admiral to amend the codex to see favor towards those who have, in one eye or another, had interest to aid the Maltese people. I cannot, however, authorize payment of the 'losses' that Colonel Valdez was responsible for. I am merely a politician, and do not oversee the treasury or the national stockade.

Despedida.

...uploading.data...

[Image: 1b.png][Image: 7.png]

I will await until 25th January 825 A.S. for you to both manage to find your minister of treasury and propose an acceptable long-term resolution.

...uploading.data...

[Image: 1b.png][Image: 7.png]

Time is up.

[Receiver-ID]: Nicole Hunter - Lane Hackers

[Subject]: --

Senorita Hunter.

Indeed.

You'll have to forgive my lack of update, Senorita. On the matter of the treasury, Senorita La Huerta has seen no reason to transfer the sum, it seems. While I've not had the intent to lord my position over those who aid me in this Nacion's running, as we are all of a fairly strong belief in individuality, it appears I was not as adamant in my suggestion. I will speak with her within the day and see if an understanding can't be met. In the worst of cases, the money will simply be lost. Best, you'll receive your money and an 'apology statement'.

As for a proposal to deal with our issue, I'm afraid I've already done as much as Senor Santiago is willing to allow me. With the Armed Forces seeing the need to protect Malta in these trying days, I'm afraid the most I could persuade him was to lax the cardamine restriction for those bearing your transponders, the Chrysanthemums and any Rogue party that sees fit to trade with Malta. While he wasn't pleased with the outcome, it's certainly better than anything he'd have given the proper circumstances.

I hope it's an acceptable, though not truly ideal, solution to the issue. The Republic is still fledgling in it's workings, and while politics does have say, I'm afraid it's not much branching from the Armed Forces we once stemmed off of.

Despedida.

...uploading.data...

[Image: 30.png]

Ms Zerda,

This is a sufficient resolution for now. I am really happy that we could reach an understanding.

I bid you friendly farewell with the hope you will be able to quickly overcome bureaucratic inefficiencies of your government.

Professor Provocateur,
Nicole Hunter