Discovery Gaming Community

Full Version: Has there been an effort to make a proper Freelancer 2?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I mean, definitely not from Microsoft, but more like a community, non-profit kind of effort. I'm pretty sure there will be so many issues with it, most importantly legal, but perhaps if the game is not distributed under the name "Freelancer 2", use different names for the ships, and do not include any of the original assets from FL, then I don't see how Microsoft can argue against it. Let's say the game is not even sold, but rather developed through community donation, it might actually work out if there's a good team behind it working on it as a hobby. I actually heard of a project that recreated FL on linux, has it gone as far as pushing towards "FL2"?
There have been some attempts *cough* No Man's Sky *cough* but most ended up being fairly disappointing.

*cough*

EVE Online

*cough*

Star Citizen

EDIT: I have a wimpy af PC, so I can't even play Star Citizen kek. Star Citizen is the new Crysis.
The only game from that selection that might even slightly be trying to be Freelancer 2 is Star Citizen, and that's only really because of Chris Roberts' ties to FL. I don't even think he himself has cited SC being a spiritual successor to Freelancer, that's just a moniker the fans have given it.

Otherwise, there's not really anything out there - other than fan games and projects - that tries to be 'Freelancer 2'. In my experience, they tend to be games in their own right. That doesn't mean they're not fun though.
(01-16-2018, 09:58 PM)Lythrilux Wrote: [ -> ]Otherwise, there's not really anything out there - other than fan games and projects - that tries to be 'Freelancer 2'. In my experience, they tend to be games in their own right. That doesn't mean they're not fun though.

Do you know the names of some of these fan projects?
Some people think Elite Dangerous fits that bill
(01-16-2018, 10:50 PM)Aazalot Wrote: [ -> ]Some people think Elite Dangerous fits that bill

The hell it does lol, ED is like "dead universe", it's so dead it makes me feel nauseous playing it Smile The best part of FL is all the hustling NPCs all around, everywhere. Even in unknown systems you have nomads to be your company.
Librelancer - An open source rebuild of the current FL engine from the ground up.

There is also 's Project Starflier, which is an effort to rebuild Freelancer on the UE4 engine.
(01-16-2018, 10:22 PM)Rotorist Wrote: [ -> ]
(01-16-2018, 09:58 PM)Lythrilux Wrote: [ -> ]Otherwise, there's not really anything out there - other than fan games and projects - that tries to be 'Freelancer 2'. In my experience, they tend to be games in their own right. That doesn't mean they're not fun though.

Librelancer, PSF, a couple of Unity 3D projects here and then like Why's render engine.

Edit: ninja
(01-16-2018, 11:08 PM)Laz Wrote: [ -> ]
(01-16-2018, 10:22 PM)Rotorist Wrote: [ -> ]

Librelancer, PSF, a couple of Unity 3D projects here and then like Why's render engine.

Edit: ninja

What's PSF?
(01-16-2018, 11:07 PM)Durandal Wrote: [ -> ]Project Starflier
Edit: Wrong acc, was editing things. Whoops.
Pages: 1 2