Discovery Gaming Community

Full Version: Shutdown of Holiday Mode
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5
On Saturday we'll turn off the pob holiday(no wear&tear) mode again. Please supply the pobs you want to keep again.

Hope everyone enjoyed their holidays!
Bringing up something discussed in leaders chat here as it's relevant...

I think we should do a crazy experiment and not turn off holiday mode (for a period of time). The grindy wear and tear of POBs is the worst element about them, and I think it'd be greatly enriching for gameplay if people didn't need to care for them as if they're hyperactive tamagochis.
Quote:I think we should do a crazy experiment and not turn off holiday mode

+1
(01-17-2018, 09:21 PM)Lythrilux Wrote: [ -> ]Bringing up something discussed in leaders chat here as it's relevant...

I think we should do a crazy experiment and not turn off holiday mode (for a period of time). The grindy wear and tear of POBs is the worst element about them, and I think it'd be greatly enriching for gameplay if people didn't need to care for them as if they're hyperactive tamagochis.

That is something I must agree on. The longer you own a pob, the more irritated and, what may be unusual, demotivated to log you become.
Turning off the wear and tear of PoBs is too extreme, maybe just lower the requirements and/or the commodity usage?
(01-17-2018, 09:43 PM)Traxit Wrote: [ -> ]Turning off the wear and tear of PoBs is too extreme, maybe just lower the requirements and/or the commodity usage?

What makes it 'extreme'? Could you elaborate your point?
(01-17-2018, 09:44 PM)Lythrilux Wrote: [ -> ]
(01-17-2018, 09:43 PM)Traxit Wrote: [ -> ]Turning off the wear and tear of PoBs is too extreme, maybe just lower the requirements and/or the commodity usage?

Is it not? Could you explain why you think it isn't?
I remember when people hired other people when they didn't have the time to put FOW on their station without thinking about more storage modules.
(01-17-2018, 09:21 PM)Lythrilux Wrote: [ -> ]Bringing up something discussed in leaders chat here as it's relevant...

Perhaps instead of saying keep it off, propose an alternative way to "balance" them. The ware & tare is there to make it cost something and prevent people putting down PoBs and leaving them there until someone comes to siege them. (which causes more drama and problems on it's own, but thats another story).

I'm sure if you come up with a really good alternative, it might have a better chance of being added.
(01-17-2018, 09:45 PM)Thyrzul Wrote: [ -> ]
(01-17-2018, 09:44 PM)Lythrilux Wrote: [ -> ]

Is it not? Could you explain why you think it isn't?

As talked about in OFL:

I think the grindy aspects of POBs greatly limit their potential to be an enriching and interesting feature of the mod. The mechanics for POBs right now force people to build them in the same locations over and over again for the sake of gameplay (having a decent FOW source to limit the tedious grind). Exploring POBs for the sake of roleplay is in the majority of cases - unless they're convenient gameplay wise - a waste of time.

The 'rewards' you reap from owning a POB are okay at best and don't really compensate for the time and effort you put in. In my experience, you end up supplying the POB not because you want to, or because it's profitable, but because you don't want the guilt of letting all that effort go down the drain.

Back when we had completely empty systems (Yukon etc) I always fantasized how cool it would be if players could actively colonize and contest those systems themselves with POBs. Unfortunately, POBs are so horrendous to manage that such a dream is impossible.

This change wouldn't affect the siege mechanics.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5