Discovery Gaming Community

Full Version: Scenery
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Click

This looks great. When will we ever see this kind of Scenery in Disco too ?

*Incoming excuses*
It helps to appreciate the beauty that exists already, then you'll be able to see it in a lot of the places you'd least expect it.
I've done that before. But I'm looking for more. Why can't you appreciate the beauty that could be ?
(01-18-2018, 08:04 PM)Dave Synk Wrote: [ -> ]I've done that before. But I'm looking for more. Why can't you appreciate the beauty that could be ?

There is a lot of potential, but Discovery is still Freelancer. It's staying as true to the original game as it can, lore wise. Major cosmetic changes that make it appear like something other than what it should be take away from the spirit of the game.
Yeah but Freelancer can be so much more, from time to time it's cool to explore new things. Since FL is the only game I know to let you go, move, see freely anything. But I guess that's my taste.
(01-18-2018, 08:08 PM)Dave Synk Wrote: [ -> ]Yeah but Freelancer can be so much more, from time to time it's cool to explore new things. Since FL is the only game I know to let you go, move, see freely anything. But I guess that's my taste.

Yep, and there's a lot of cool things that keep us within the spirit of the original game itself. Other mods already expand on what Freelancer could be, as you've seen.

What I'd love to see is more explorable space. Empty areas with beautiful sights, dangerous atmospheric hazards, speed hindering nebulae, ship graveyards, gorgeous worlds in the deeper Omicrons that aren't touched by factions, NPC bases or traffic.

Space is big. Space is also empty. Not everywhere needs to be an activity hotspot, and I'd love seeing more systems like Lost, but ones that share the visual impressiveness of the new Major. It shows what people can do with the resources available, and I know there's some cool stuff people could make.
(01-18-2018, 08:11 PM)Vendetta Wrote: [ -> ]
(01-18-2018, 08:08 PM)Dave Synk Wrote: [ -> ]Yeah but Freelancer can be so much more, from time to time it's cool to explore new things. Since FL is the only game I know to let you go, move, see freely anything. But I guess that's my taste.

Yep, and there's a lot of cool things that keep us within the spirit of the original game itself. Other mods already expand on what Freelancer could be, as you've seen.

What I'd love to see is more explorable space. Empty areas with beautiful sights, dangerous atmospheric hazards, speed hindering nebulae, ship graveyards, gorgeous worlds in the deeper Omicrons that aren't touched by factions, NPC bases or traffic.

Space is big. Space is also empty. Not everywhere needs to be an activity hotspot, and I'd love seeing more systems like Lost.

Yes, exactly. That would be great to see too. I thought about that many times and imagined all kinds of strange looking distant systems beyond the Omicrons, or even those empty "useless" systems to have something that... gives a feeling.. eerie or unsettling, mystery, that's one aspect of the spirit of FL. Would really love to see such things at least to appear more often in Disco.
(01-18-2018, 08:14 PM)Dave Synk Wrote: [ -> ]

Space is big. Space is also empty. Not everywhere needs to be an activity hotspot, and I'd love seeing more systems like Lost.

Yes, exactly. That would be great to see too. I thought about that many times and imagined all kinds of strange looking distant systems beyond the Omicrons, or even those empty "useless" systems to have something that... gives a feeling.. eerie or unsettling, mystery, that's one aspect of the spirit of FL. Would really love to see such things at least to appear more often in Disco.

It'd be good for activity, too. All that empty space on the edge would attract the attention of expansionists, explorers, and researchers. We are a roleplay community after all, and there's only so much new stuff you can do in known space, where everything has probably been done at least twice, considered five times and talked about once. Open space like an Omicron expansion would give players more freedom to roleplay in new locations.

Economically, various mineral deposits could be added in the depths of these new places, past dangerous anomalies and nebulae. The distance would be worth the rewards.

I really liked the Minor graveyard prior to the layout change. I think having a system where your entry point is a nebula that's just a ship graveyard of explorers, war vessels and other things would be badass. they'd be stuck in a nebula that hinders your speed and did some serious radiation damage. Like the very edge of the sector, and beyond it is just... Nothing. Emptiness. A void where you can see the sector in the distance.

Space is big. Space is also empty. Not everywhere needs to be an activity hotspot, and I'd love seeing more systems like Lost, but ones that share the visual impressiveness of the new Major. It shows what people can do with the resources available, and I know there's some cool stuff people could make.

I must say that I agree with what you stated before and with this what you said. But, to make it thrilling, where one is barely able to survive.

This is perhaps, where we could see some non-standard things. Like graphics, stratospheres and such.

This game was by the way once fun while it had NPCs that would damage you as well. I would just make them lesser appearing.
I mentioned NPCs because, we don't have so much players in non peak time. And peak time is around 70 players. I remember that, before I joined disco, I spent whole day discovering, flying around and shooting NPCs that were not easy to shoot down.

That is what made Freelancer special. I still enjoy traveling around with people, visiting places. It's not just about log to shoot.

As for those uncharted, new systems. We could implement some let's say, specific ideas there. LIke colors and formations that you wouldn't otherwise see anywhere in Sirius.

edit: I even once mentioned implementing gunless Nomad light fighters, to resemble Nomad morphs, that we used to have, in Kansas, around the gate.
Pages: 1 2