Discovery Gaming Community

Full Version: Battle Ships & Asteroid Fields: Idea
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I know having stations and other items and whatnot be destructable is possible... but I have an idea/question, which I'm sure has been brought up before elsewhere in the Freelancer community.

What about allowing asteroids to be destroyed?

This would let capital ships realisticly "clear a path" to their destination... the rocks wouldn't drop any loot or leave debris, just simply dissapear...

Is this possible? I could imagine alot of happy cap ship owners who get to blast their way out of an asteroid field instead of becoming the amazing acrobat that weights a billion tons. lol
Thank you for completely Stealing Kane's idea right off the Disco 4.81/4.80 suggestions/ideas thread.
Oh, come on now, he probably didn't "steal" the idea. I've had the same thoguht myself; it's not that hard to come up with.

The problem I see with it is that if someone spent enough time at it, they could destroy the better part an asteroid field. I don't know that players should have that kind of control over the environment. However, the destroyed asteroids would have to respawn every time that the server rebooted (which happens every, what, six hours?), or, even better, it could be set that the asteroids respawn in a smaller amount of time, like fifteen minutes. If something like that can be done, then I believe that would be a good solution to the "capital ships in asteroid fields" problem.

Now to go read Kane's post to see just how similar the ideas are...

EDIT: Okay, they're pretty similar. We both have the same ideas about respawning, apparently.
My idea would be make the asteroids that can move like the small ones but inflict 50k times more damage. And ofcourse being blownup and turned into smaller ones. Eventually you can play asteroids in there. :P
DarkOddity,Sep 7 2006, 04:04 PM Wrote:<snip> which I'm sure has been brought up before elsewhere in the Freelancer community.
[snapback]35011[/snapback]

Dab, read the above quote, where I am quoting myself. :)

Caribe,Sep 7 2006, 08:38 PM Wrote:My idea would be make the asteroids that can move like the small ones but inflict 50k times more damage. And ofcourse being blownup and turned into smaller ones. Eventually you can play asteroids in there.&nbsp; :P
[snapback]35044[/snapback]

lol that would be cool, unfortunately that would take tons of coding.

EDIT:

Kane,Sep 7 2006, 04:26 AM Wrote:One suggestion to make all people with large capital class ships breath a sigh of relief...

Is it at all possible to create destructible asteroids? Not just the little ones you see floating around in your HUD, but the large ones that grab your battleship every chance they get, sometimes even getting you irreversibly stuck. If it is possible to get those to be destructible, I would appreciate it very much. Yes, it would make it easier for large ships to fly through the fields, but it will still be slow progress having to blast ones way through every one.
[snapback]34894[/snapback]

I see now that Kane did post that, woulda helped if I would have read through the .81 thread, but then again I didn't want to catch up on the last 3 pages I missed. :P
Relatively all this is posible, but it would take a lot of time and for some of these things you should know not only mod freelancer but even program in c++,...
DarkOddity,Sep 7 2006, 10:04 PM Wrote:Dab, read the above quote, where I am quoting myself. :)
[snapback]35048[/snapback]

One question.. Do I care?

I think not!

*Walks away.*
It actually wouldn't be as hard as all that. The thing is, in FL, all the billions of asteroids in a field are not stored statically. Rather they are spawned dynamically in your locality as you fly along. That way the server only needs to keep track of a relative few. Have u ever noticed, when flying thru a field, that asteroids far away will fade away and others spawn fairly close?

So the idea is not so hard to realise, since asteroids naturally respwan as you fly. But of course if you beat a bath, then turn around 180, you find the path is gone... but then, using the old imagination, its a case of neighbouring asteroids drifting in the fill the space....

Of course whether asteroids can be made destructable is another matter.

o.
It can be done... Like I said, I have seen it with my own eyes. The question then becomes how was it done, and should we do it.

For the first, I have no idea. The second however is a rather large "Hells yeah!" from myself.
Omg dab give DO a break. All he did was post an Idea and u go attacking him. I dont read every post their is so i may post stuff that other people have too. Its a fact of life