Discovery Gaming Community

Full Version: Jumphole Overhaul
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19
(02-13-2018, 05:23 PM)Lythrilux Wrote: [ -> ]The Edge Worlds aren't about highways. There are no incentives for players to wait for traders or spontaneous groups of hostile ships to do patrols through systems, or for people to just casually meet up at some random point. This sort of thing only works with systems that have trade lanes, because players are forced through particular routes or are sent to certain solars.

The only kind of waiting that does work, combat ships lingering around a hostile faction's home system and waiting for them to log a counter-force - either the counter force sees this on the player list and coordinates appropriately, or the leader of those combat ships pokes people to let them know they're organising a raid. Yes, it relies on the playerlist and potentially to a degree Skype, but it worked very well. What made this most convenient would be factions having easy travel options to get to a certain point. This is what the Edge Worlds as a whole need, and reducing the number of connections in both the Omicrons and the Omegas hurt more than it helped. There's a reason why the current bottlenecks and highways in the Edge Worlds don't work (how can you create a highway when players have so much 3D space to traverse through?). I don't doubt your proposal may work elsewhere, but it certainly does not fit into the way the Edge Worlds work.

Regardless, my proposal does not prohibit a multitude of IDs interacting in Rho. In fact, I outline that this will actually enable Corsairs, Coalition and Red Hessians to raid Rho. It also gives Core players the ability to distribute activity throughout the rest of the Omega region.

Even in lane-less 3D space, the shortest path connecting two points is still a straight.

I agree that factions such as Core, Corsairs, SCRA, red hessians, order, nomads, etc should have it faster and easier to raid places, including each other's fortified systems. That's part of what I'm doing making travel along highways faster.

Where we disagree, however, is that the best path for all those factions should be your (or anyone else's) personal fortified system (instead of a more open highway) which you can police and receive all the activity in without even leaving your system. You, like every other faction, can take 1 JH to a highway system if you want to interact with people, and you can take 1 more JH to pass through a highway to raid a home system and vise versa.
There are still routes into and out of the Omicrons/Omegas without having to go through Rho with my proposal. It simply creates the opportunity for both Core and Omega factions to raid each other. Right now Rho isn't raided at all. Creating opportunities for Corsairs, Coalition and so forth would be a great way to change that.

Rho's solars are placed away from jump holes. There's nothing about the system that, gameplay wise, makes it restrictive for other factions.

Also, I bet if Snak3 pulled the data from the Lane Hacker website you'd see the vast majority of Core activity over the past 4 or 5 years has taken place outside of Rho. And it would continue to be such. Only difference is we get better access to the Omegas, and people have better access to Rho.
I already made access to Rho easier, and made multiple suggestions to make it even easier, which achieves everything you claim to want, without making rho the shortest distance for others to travel through, which would drain activity from highways.

If you choose to keep ignoring that and only keep banging on about the one "solution" you'd like best for yourself without any compromise for what's good for others, there's little else I can do but to ignore you completely just like the devs.

We're talking about literally a single jump more for you, in exchange for keeping traveling activity more focused in 4 other systems. Already not mentioning the repercussions it would have for trade.
Next possible solution: Connect rho to omicron theta and o55 instead of delta and o55.
(02-13-2018, 04:25 PM)Sand_Spider Wrote: [ -> ]Isn't there a way to restrict Jump Holes to a certain cargo hold size? Why not prevent anything with 2000+ cargo from using an O-55-Rho connecting JH? Anyone who uses a transport below 2k is either doing it for RP purposes or is new or it's a closed economy character, anyways.. Profit per second is really only something to worry about if you let all ships through a jump hole, such as 3,500+ size cargo transports.

Please no. Such things will only lead to confusion and grief.
Unless you can make new models/effects for jump holes, that have limitations, so It is apparent, that the connection is not usable by big ships.
(02-13-2018, 06:38 PM)ronillon Wrote: [ -> ]
(02-13-2018, 04:25 PM)Sand_Spider Wrote: [ -> ]Isn't there a way to restrict Jump Holes to a certain cargo hold size? Why not prevent anything with 2000+ cargo from using an O-55-Rho connecting JH? Anyone who uses a transport below 2k is either doing it for RP purposes or is new or it's a closed economy character, anyways.. Profit per second is really only something to worry about if you let all ships through a jump hole, such as 3,500+ size cargo transports.

Please no. Such things will only lead to confusion and grief.
Unless you can make new models/effects for jump holes, that have limitations, so It is apparent, that the connection is not usable by big ships.

I sort've made this post not realizing that Karlotta had already suggested a Rho-Theta connection, and I hadn't re-read the original post until it was pointed out to me. Oops!
Little bump to ask if the the people who suggested keeping/removing/adding things if the alternatives I presented are preferable to them compared to the way the proposed map in the OP is now.
I admire your tenacity with the idea, Karlotta. No sarcasm. My only issue is that it would make full-unlawful smuggling completely impossible. It's already extremely hard at peak hours, even with a less active server, if the lawfuls have three or more players working together. Even with tactics such as cloaking devices, off-plane flying, etc. All it takes is one person to get to the hole before the comparatively slow transports and the bottleneck is assured - and lawfuls will always demand ship destruction or cargo drop on a smuggler.
As someone who's actually working on making full unlawful smuggling a dedicated thing now with the House Fexx project that I took up on a lark, I have to conclude that Sharq is right.

Please don't screw my lawbreaking ass over, please.
Thank you for your feedback, Taeni and Teresa.

I understand your concerns and anticipated them, but weight them against these factors:

-During the time when the cardamine smuggle was at its peak, routes were both more focused than they are even in the proposed map, and there were 4 to 5 times the number of players as now. I therefore think it wont be totally killed, even if it will have more interactions and more risks than now.

-Not all alternative routes are visible in the map, because there can be jump holes as well as gates between the same systems (for example colorado-new york and bering and hudson to hamburg).

-If people are shadow-logging your smuggler even now, there's always the possibility to have several smugglers and avoid them the same way they are stalking you. There are also creative ways to get lawfuls out of the way, such as hiring a noob or a friend to distract lawfuls while you fly past them.

If you see concrete choke points which are too easy to block, you can tell them here or PM them to me if you dont want to go public about your smuggle route. You can also suggest work-arounds that are less remote as for example new hampshire. For example additional jump holes between systems that already have a direct link.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19