Discovery Gaming Community

Full Version: Jumphole Overhaul
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19
(01-24-2018, 05:52 PM)ddiiyy Wrote: [ -> ]While on one hand, I see the JH rework possibly working, on the other, I don't see it working and allow me to explain why. Freelancer, the game itself, is no longer being sold on the market (save most likely in some rare stores on the planet) and even more so, there are less players looking for mods for the game.
---snip---

It looks like there is a quiet a lot of people who would like to buy Freelancer, I guess many of them would try mods too:
https://www.gog.com/wishlist/games/freelancer

Also:
https://discoverygc.com/forums/showthrea...ownload%22

Maybe you should apply to do some dev work. I remember tinkering with a program that easily allowed editing system layouts, jumpholes, bases and so forth. It was even fun and that was like 8 years ago. I sadly do not have the time to do any dev work (hence why I can't use any forceful sentences in my posts), but if you can, you should. It's them who'll do it after all.
FL Mod Studio.

Freelancer modding is easy. It's just tedious to teach, tedious to learn and time consuming.
It looks more like the problem is lack in direction and not in workforce. Devs are making JH changes all the time, just not sensible ones that actually have a positive impact. And that's all I'm asking for here.

If there is really no one that is able to change jump hole connections, I'd be willing to learn how to do it, but before I do that I'd like to know if a sensible concept will actually be implemented.

And I'd also like to know the exact reason why the person(s) who did JH changes before wouldnt be willing to do these (or others after Antonio makes more concrete suggestions on the week end).

It would also be awesome if people took 10 to 30 minutes to think and posted actual JH suggestions instead of using this thread to air their opinions on various other matters.
I'm with Karlotta on this one,
Specially Minor-Alaska connection,removing that was the turning point that killed activity in Omicrons.
It was a huge mistake and it should be reverted years ago but nobody was listening as usual.
(01-25-2018, 01:59 AM)Lythrilux Wrote: [ -> ]FL Mod Studio.

Freelancer modding is easy. It's just tedious to teach, tedious to learn and time consuming.

To be constructive:
http://kuncos.uvadi.cz/Freelancer/Tools/
http://kuncos.uvadi.cz/Freelancer/Tools/...-1.0.2.exe

Maybe it will help someone.
Lets play a game.

Everyone who posted here should suggest at least one JH change they think would improve gameplay.
The problem with the way system deving is done is that economy balance is seen as more important than activity and interaction. You can see how dysfunctional this design ethos is.
(01-25-2018, 03:15 AM)Lythrilux Wrote: [ -> ]The problem with the way system deving is done is that economy balance is seen as more important than activity and interaction. You can see how dysfunctional this design ethos is.

Thank you Lyth, finally you've made a constructive contribution, even if you didnt recommend a JH connection. So you get an honorary cookie reward anyway. Here. Have a cookie. Even if the google image description said it de-caffeinated. What the hell is a de-caffeinated chocolate-chip cookie?

[Image: smart_20cookie_20pic_20copy_original.jpg]
My map

Whites are trade lane connections. Pinks are jumhole connections. Red crosses are intended chokepoints but they could be replaced with a system next door with the same idea. Blue circles are mining zones. As you can see, they are located right next to an intended chokepoint.

I thought Tau 31 could be a pretty good place for Gallics to mass before heading into Bretonia or Liberty. It could be turned into a forward operations base of some sort. A center away from their center. Not sure about its connection to Dublin though.

Omega 5 seems like a good place for Corsairs to have an access to, and where they could gather before raiding into the close-by two mining zones.

Both Corsairs and Outcasts can easily raid into each others homes now. And right in the middle there's the Sigma mining zone.

Not sure about Kusari. I'd say they need a mining zone connected to Tokyo.

To emphasize these routes, a lot of holes need to be removed to not allow too much bypassing. I'd also even go a lot more extreme with these routes, but I am sure even this much will not be liked.
--

Having done this, all I could say in this matter is that the technicalities do not matter to me one bit. Yours, Antonio's, and anyone else's charts are perfect to me. Even an elementary kid could come up with things similar to these and as long as they were done with a simple purpose like this, it would help. I am happy with anything done in the right direction.

The real problem as it appears to me is to be able to sell even the core of this idea to the devs and members and get their willingness to work on this matter. And repeating this often, even if not with diagrams, I hope at least it will gather some attention.

I do not think any well planned suggestion will be implemented by the devs as it is, and they'll do their own thing with things such as trade and lore in mind, and the technicalities are something that should be discussed in the dev room with willing devs. The trouble is getting them to actually even consider liking any version of this suggestion. Hence why I suggest someone willing to work on this matter to step up and say, "hey, if you will be okay with a game like this, I am willing to work on it and spend my precious time on it."

Before that, I doubt anybody will come up with a magical jump hole chart that will make everyone go "Wow! Please implement this now!" Not that I want to discourage anyone who'd like to try. I'd be happy if that happened.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19