Discovery Gaming Community

Full Version: (Consumable?) Jump Drives that Create Interactions More Quickly
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4
I'm not sure these should be "affordable". They could be an excellent money sink* and give players more reason to spend time trading (which fuels the activity cycle). Finding the right balance there so they're not obstructively expensive is important, however.

I would like to see these work without coordinates, honestly. I'm not sure exactly how, but something like one of the following (maybe):

- Jumps to system center + offset to avoid clipping with the star.
- Jumps to existing jumpgates/jumpholes in the system.
- Jumps to a "beacon" that is either player-made or defined in a .ini by devs for each system (also avoids the star and prevents 100k+ cruises after jumping)

Unfortunately these would all require FLHook work.

*) Put the actual money sink in the fuel, not the JD itself, so that it's constant and not just a big one-time payment.

(01-24-2018, 03:54 PM)Lythrilux Wrote: [ -> ]to prevent easy escaping from encounters ships jump into.

This should just be prevented by making the charge-up several minutes long (we're skipping half an hour of travel, minutes of charge time shouldn't matter) and making the charge sequence either CDable or making it abort when hull damage is taken. That way it'd be physically impossible to use JDs to escape.
(01-24-2018, 05:34 PM)Haste Wrote: [ -> ]I'm not sure these should be "affordable". They could be an excellent money sink* and give players more reason to spend time trading (which fuels the activity cycle). Finding the right balance there so they're not obstructively expensive is important, however.

I would like to see these work without coordinates, honestly. I'm not sure exactly how, but something like one of the following (maybe):

- Jumps to a "beacon" that is either player-made or defined in a .ini by devs for each system (also avoids the star and prevents 100k+ cruises after jumping)

*) Put the actual money sink in the fuel, not the JD itself, so that it's constant and not just a big one-time payment.

They seem like a great way for well-endowed players to escape whatever encounter they so desire.
(01-24-2018, 05:28 PM)West Wrote: [ -> ]This is funny how laws of one house restricts your gameplay. If you check our laws good enough you will be able to find that it is premitted to use jump drives in Kusari, you just need to register your capital ship first with the KNF HC and we will provide you with the coordinates. Unfortunately, I doubt that any navy would tolerate capital ships jumping around the house they protect.

2 houses allow usage of cloaking devices, unless used for illegal activities, 1 only with the special permission, 2 ban usage. Pretty balanced here.

Also this is a thread about Jump Drives, not cloaking devices.

I mean, I don't even have a cloaking device or a jump drive on any ships at the moment, so it really doesn't restrict me at all. I'm just saying that maybe the ban on cloaks is one reason Kusari is less active than other Houses. I'm a little out-dated on Kusari's laws, so you'll just have to forgive me for missing the section on jump drives.

Anyways. Back on the subject of Jump Drives, I can see survey coordinate mapping salesman getting a kick out of the system. Has the Corvo had it's built-in Survey Module implemented, yet? Y'can't jump safely and surely without coordinates!
Jds being a money sink, ok, but the price of those jump bats... idk. yes initially you would think this would be a good moneysink aswell. But the utility of the jds just doesn't feel worth all the effort. It's not only the price of the jump drive bats and jumpdrive itself, aquiring the coords takes a lot of effort aswell. You need a hyperspace scanner, a cap to use it on, you might have to fly a few systems into hostile space to make those (because for what else, if not for having coords at the enemy base, would you make them). if you use a survey mk2 you are unable to use the cruiser for anything else since the left cargo space wont be enough to hold a cau. You also need a second player is needed to supply you with fuel. making those coords takes time aswell. All in all, JDs are very pricey and time consuming with only a small benefit.
I think ships should not jump somewhere on its own, one of your fleet member should carry a module that lets you to jump on it with Jumpdrive after he/she activate it
And Jumpdrive should take 1min or 2 min to charge instead of 5min

If we don't do it like this we will see Libertonian(Especially) Capital Ships in Taus/Omicrons randomly firing every red target. Well, if the guy knows rules he will just move in to the crossfire and say "omg dat guy shoot me ENGAGEBURG!!!" and then calls his Libertonian friends to help him aswell.

Basically Eve online Cyno
(01-24-2018, 05:46 PM)Titan* Wrote: [ -> ]I think ships should not jump somewhere on its own, one of your fleet member should carry a module that lets you to jump on it with Jumpdrive after he/she activate it

If we don't do it like this we will see Libertonian(Especially) Capital Ships in Taus/Omicrons randomly firing every red target. Well, if the guy knows rules he will just move in to the crossfire and say "omg dat guy shoot me ENGAGEBURG!!!" and then calls his Libertonian friends to help him aswell.

Your concern is entirely valid; however, the solution limits a good majority of people who could benefit from this - the new player base and general indies. Many new players are independent*, so they might not be able to take part in interaction if the feature were added. Beyond that, I know of several people who play indie characters, because it bypasses other issues. It’s hard to forget a large group of players with an update that is meant to increase the player base and interaction for all.

Does licensing not solve for this issue? A liberty cap is, for the most part, limited in where they can engage. You could fly one with a stupid license combo, I guess, but it’s stupid to do.

*My claims are not backed with empirical evidence, I don’t know how long newer players remain independent. That’s actually probably worth study - but we wouldn’t have the data to quantify it.
(01-24-2018, 05:36 PM)Tænì Wrote: [ -> ]
(01-24-2018, 05:34 PM)Haste Wrote: [ -> ]I'm not sure these should be "affordable". They could be an excellent money sink* and give players more reason to spend time trading (which fuels the activity cycle). Finding the right balance there so they're not obstructively expensive is important, however.

They seem like a great way for well-endowed players to escape whatever encounter they so desire.

Not in fights anymore. They're all easily CDable
(01-24-2018, 05:46 PM)Titan* Wrote: [ -> ]I think ships should not jump somewhere on its own, one of your fleet member should carry a module that lets you to jump on it with Jumpdrive after he/she activate it

Then we just limit capitals to their ZoI, like The Core ID, as it should be.
(01-24-2018, 06:28 PM)Lythrilux Wrote: [ -> ]

Then we just limit capitals to their ZoI, like The Core ID, as it should be.

But what uses do JDs have then?
Getting around. Why do you think established players often have/had hundreds of ships parked all over Sirius? It's because if you see something happening in Omicron Delta but your closest ship is in Coronado (unfortunately a real situation I found myself in fairly recently), by the time you fly all the way there the players will be gone and you won't have anything to interact with.

There are a lot of games that offer more fun-per-hour than flying for 45 minutes only to sundive to get your ship back where it used to be.

Realistically, if the above example happens to me, I'll just alt+f4 the game and boot up [insert other video game, preferably Dota 2 as that makes for a better meme]. I doubt I'm alone in this. JDs could alleviate this problem.
Pages: 1 2 3 4