Discovery Gaming Community

Full Version: What if Your Favourite Ship was in Freelancer Discovery?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5
The Thread:

Heyo everyone! I'm fairly new around here, but I love theorizing and mulling over what if scenarios, and one that's been playing through my head is what the stats on one of my favourite capital ships in Sci-fi/Science Fantasy was in Freelancer Discovery. I figured it might be fun to open up a thread for other people to do the same, and post their own ships and statistics as well. Please do not request that the devs put these ships into the game, as frequently said ships are heavily licensed, or could be extraordinarily overpowered if they were introduced to the game. That being said, for my own personal ship choice, I'm going to do my best when giving my ideas for its statistics to keep it in line with standard Battleship power for the game.

The Ship:

[Image: latest?cb=20150204084907]

Now, as for the ship that I'll be speculating over in the opening post of this thread, it's one of my top three all time favourite Capital ships in Sci-fi/Science Fantasy, and that is the Harrower Class Dreadnought of the Sith Empire in Star Wars the Old Republic. Now, an untrained eye might just assume that the Harrower is simply an uncreative movie era Star Destroyer rip off. However, the Harrower has a great deal going for it that sets it apart from the movie era ships in my mind. First of all, the ship is significantly shorter, sitting at right around a kilometer in length, while an Imperial I Star Destroyer is roughly 1.6 kilometers long. Additionally, the Harrower is significantly better designed in my mind.

Here's a tidbit of lore about the ship for anyone who's uninitiated with the Old Republic's lore - Designed over thirty-six hundred years before the advent of the Galactic Empire, the Harrower class Dreadnought was the pinnacle of Imperial technology for its era. Boasting the most firepower that had ever been placed on a single capital ship up to the date that it was built, the ship can be seen to carry around sixty eight quad turbolaser batteries putting it at two-hundred and seventy two barrels of capital ship destroying power, as well as numerous point defense weapons. Additionally, the ship is designed with a much lower and spread out profile to the bridge with weapons placed directly in front of the bridge to protect it from the fate that would befall many of its future cousins when fighters crashed into their bridges. The final detail that's quite evident just by looking at the ship is the dual front hangars that allow for the rapid deployment of the ship's compliment of around ninety-six space superiority fighters.

Now, there are a few details we know that give the ship a fair bit more spunk and staying power than the Imperial Class Star Destroyer that we find out through lore entries and experience in game. The first of these details is that the ship actually boasts more than one power reactor, making it more difficult to sabotage the ship from the inside, as an intruder group would need to split off into multiple strike teams to assault the cores in order to take down the ship all at once. Additionally, the Harrower is protected by multiple smaller shield projectors, giving it layers of redundant shielding to prevent the ship from being felled by a single good shot to any of its shielding arrays. The ship also can carry a compliment of around nine-thousand Sith Empire Troopers, giving it a substantial security force against boarding actions. Finally, the ship requires a crew compliment of around one-thousand to operate, a far more efficient amount to the over ten-thousand navymen required to operate a single Imperial Star Destroyer.

The Harrower only has one real major weakness, and that is in the aggressiveness of its design. A vessel built for rapid insertion and devastating shock and awe, the mainstay battleship of the Sith Empire had all of its turbolasers situated along its wedge design so that they could open fire on a single enemy capital ship all at once. However, because of the wedge design of the vessel, it suffered greatly if an opponent's ship could get behind it, cutting off the firing patterns of at least half the ship's weaponry, if not more. Decent speed and maneuverability often made up for this weakness, but a skilled Republic ship captain could take advantage of it to inflict serious damage on the vessel.

The Stats:

Now, as for the stats if the Harrower was put into the Freelancer Universe, I would give the ship most of the stats of a Battleship with the exception of one key category - weapons. To see the Dreadnought properly realized in Freelancer, it would need to have a great deal of turret mounts, perhaps not as many as are actually on the Harrower in lore, but in game representations of the Dreadnought in ToR only render 48 individual Quad Turbolasers, which seems like a much more reasonable number to me. Now, many of you may be saying, '48 battleship turrets? That's absurd!' And you would be correct... we won't be giving the ship Battleship turrets. We'll be giving it exclusively Battlecruiser turret mounts to bring its damage output more in line with a lot of the battleships that are currently in game. Also, given the inherent sturdiness of the Harrower Design, I'm going to give it a roughly equivalent defensive capability to the Valor Class Gallic Battleship.

Now for the numbers:

Hull Strength: 2,500,000
Power Core: 8,000,000 U
Power Recharge: 400,000 U/s
Turning Rate: 10.51
Base Speed: 81 M/s
Cruise Speed: 350 M/s
Equipment Type 1 Slots: 3
Shield Type: Battleship
Hangar Bays: 2
Weapons: 44 Secondary Battlecruiser Turrets, 4 Heavy Battlecruiser Turrets

Closing Remarks:

That is pretty much what I've been mulling over for much of this day, and I hope some of you find enjoyment in theorizing over what ships would be like in Freelancer as much as I do. Feel free to post on this thread whatever your ideas are for your favourite ships and their stats. Additionally, if the Harrower were added to Freelancer Discovery, I would also give it a Jump Drive by base to simulate that all capital ships in Star Wars have Hyperdrives for jumping to Hyper Space. Ciao!
Ships have to be lore appropriate and fit in the design conventions of the universe. Star Wars imports arn't okay. I don't want to put a damper on your enthusiasm, however.
My favourite ship IS in Freelancer Discovery.
It's called the Sabre. x)
Good point - Mine's the Arbeiter. 7 guns, fat as a dumpy owl, but it's packing a titan powercore.
It's not really a ship as it is a fighter jet - the ADF-01 Falken. Give it a Beam weapon at the nose with SNAC Damage and high reload time (for balance reasons) and I'll be flying it nonstop.

As for a capital ship, I'd also pick something from Ace Combat, that being the Kottos Aerial gunship, decked out with 8 Solarises, and 1 each of gunboat and silencer missile turrets.
(01-29-2018, 04:16 AM)Tænì Wrote: [ -> ]Ships have to be lore appropriate and fit in the design conventions of the universe. Star Wars imports arn't okay. I don't want to put a damper on your enthusiasm, however.

Indeed, I actually commented about that in my post. As I said in it, this thread is purely for fun 'What ifs'.
[Image: 271?cb=20160325040931]

I know damn well this beautiful piece of murder isn't getting in the game, even in Valkyrie mode the Lucifer is just too different from the way Freelancers ship design and combat engine work. fixed arc guns just don't work that well for a game like this. *Looks at the Valor/Jormungand/SCRA BC* ...Well, it doesn't work with fighters at least.

And do I even need to say what Capital I would add If I could just Import what ever the hell I wanted?

[Image: latest?cb=20131006192250]
(I know the pic is small but it's either that, or it looks fat because it get's crunched down from 900 pixels wide.)
my god. yes. someone else loves the harrower, it's so much better than the star destroyer. thank you.
There's not much to say. Ark Mechanicus.
[Image: main-qimg-8056e448e7ac1b8f0c815b25aa73a270-c]
As for the snubs, I don't really have any ideas.
(01-29-2018, 04:39 AM)Auzari Wrote: [ -> ]my god. yes. someone else loves the harrower, it's so much better than the star destroyer. thank you.

*High fives* I absolutely adore the Harrower Design. It's so efficient and well laid out...
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5