Discovery Gaming Community

Full Version: Discovery Newbie
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hello all,

This is my first time trying out FLBig Grin. I've been wanting a comfy space sim/trading sim and decided to return to Freelancer (again), but this time try out the mod since it looks to add so many new features. How do I go about getting setup? I'm not overly interested in combat, rather more so joining a trading/merchant organization. Maybe a few fire fights here and there.

How strict are the RP rules? Are we allowed to talk about real-world events in game, so long as we use character names and follow server rules? I don't mind RP but I really just want to grab a freighter and make some trade runs (and make money for whoever I side with).
WelcomeBig Grin

A lot of questions will be answered when you read the Server Rules, don't forget to look into the House Roleplay Laws, that may help you.

Within the Newcomers section you can find the helpful link database. Read whatever you need to read.

For tradin factions: you should visit the Official factions section here, there you can find a lot of interesting factions.

Good luck and see you in spaceBig Grin
Hello and welcome
Howdy hey there! Most real world events wouldn't be known to the people of Sirius, being that current-day Earth existed approximately 2,000 years prior to the events of Freelancer.

Since you're looking for a trading organization (commonly called factions), I can think of a few off the top of my head, those being Ageira~ (Liberty), Universal Shipping Inc (Liberty), the Bretonian Merchant Navy, Samura| (Kusari), Kruger (Rheinland, more of a mining faction than a pure transport group), and Ill-De-France Shipping (Gallia). If you'd prefer to skip the loooong explanation of each faction, you can skip to the bottom of my post where a line separates the TL;DR (Too Lazy; Didn't Read) and the information sections!

Ageira~ is a Liberty-based company that constructs and maintains non-Gallia tradelanes, jump gates and docking rings. They also manufacture small and light arms for both civilian and military clients. Ageira is the primary enemy to a Liberty pirate group, the Lane Hackers, who will either ask more credits from Ageira than normal, or possibly downright shoot them without a demand. To counter this, Ageira typically fields Bison-Class Battle Transports to deter pirates.

Universal Shipping Inc. is a more simplistic faction. Shippers first and foremost, they feel like a more easy-going approach when it comes to trading and transporting goods. Under the table, they are one of the few factions out there who have secretly supported the Xeno terrorist group, who in turn harass any non-Liberty transports importing and exporting goods to and from Liberty. Picking either Liberty corporation will leave Gallia as hostile.

The Bretonian Merchant Navy is a branch of the Bretonian Armed Forces that primarily works to supply Bretonia in these troubled times during their war with Gallia. They trade primarily with Liberty and Rheinland, with Gallia being hostile. Kusari seems neutral at this time. Currently their goal, outside looking in, seems to be doing their best to fund the war effort against Gallia via much needed supplies.

Samura Industries is a ship-building company based in Kusari that also exports and imports goods between Kusari and Liberty, Kusari and Gallia, as well as Kusari and Rheinland. Interesting to note is that Samura typically deals with and even lands on Corsair bases (Corsairs are one of the largest pirate factions). However, they tend to be outright hated by some of the native Kusarian pirate groups. You may be frowned upon as a Samura within Bretonia, but I don't think you will be shot at by lawful groups.

Kruger Mineralien (Minerals in German) is primarily a mining faction. Instead of buying an initial commodity, you mine it from a specific asteroid field by shooting rocks, then ship the unrefined ore like you would any other commodity, with the exception that only a handful of bases will give you any real profit for the ore. Kruger currently has no enemies in terms of other lawful Houses.

Ill-De-France Shipping is a Gallia-born trade faction. Unfortunately, I don't know too much about this group, however they are currently able to trade freely with Kusari and Rheinland. Gallia also has fairly decent trade routes that have you never leaving it's territory. Ill-De-France also ships supplies to the Gallic warfront in Leeds. Do note that as a Gallic transport, you will not be able to dock in Liberty and Bretonia on lawful, non-pirate bases.

TL;DR

Of all those listed, it seems that Ageira~, Kruger|, Universal Shipping, and the Bretonian Merchants have been the most active factions, within the last month. If you'd like to ensure someone is likely to be available to play with you during any given hour of the day, I would recommend one of those four factions. I also recommend downloading Skype or Discord, depending on which faction you join and which program they use the most.

Sorry for the WALL-O-TEXT, but I hope that helps!

Warm regards,
Your friendly neighborhood Sand_Spider
Welcome to Discovery.

If you possess Skype/Discord, we have a nice collection of people on Discord or on Skype who are more than willing to help you. (sun)
Stay.

Forever.

Welcome! Big Grin
Welcome to Discovery! Smile
Hi there and welcome to Disco! It looks like and got you covered there, but any questions you may have, don't hesitate to ask, there are a lot of helpful, friendly people here!

Have fun and see you in space!
Hello im newbie too, i hope meet newbie too. Some people in planet erie just silent when i try to greetings. We can share tips, knowledge of rule rp's, etc. Or we can mining and trade together