Discovery Gaming Community

Full Version: Reading material
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Howdy all

I'm putting together a guide to story writing here on the forums and could use a bit of quality material to educate myself on various writing styles. So if you have any notable stories, biographies, scripts or descriptive pieces you could highly recommend it'd be much appreciated. If you're enthusiastic and have several in mind then i kindly ask you whittle it down to no more than three. I do intend to read them all if I can. Try to think of stories you really enjoyed reading.

One rule though: Only recommend someone else's material

Thanks in advance
Diary Threads

Maren's personal datapad - by
Elena Voigt's Personal Log - by
Remeber Me? - by

Neutral Narrator Threads

Gone. - by
Madness in a Cadenza - by and
A difficult to bear burden - by alias

Those are a few reads I remember out of my head that I frequently revisited. Note there are multiple ways of using a thread in the story section, but most of them are either stories of multiple people interacting or diaries of characters. I mostly prefer the former to read, as any forum RP with multiple people will stretch into infinity if it even manages to end. To avoid those things, I often write the RP with people on Skype and then write sum-ups of it either in my character diary or transcribe the Skype stuff into a dialog-heavy story thread that has a beginning and an end.

My personal preference when it comes to content can be anything except torture, humiliation and gore for the sake of itself. In diary threads, I write down what happened ingame and link what happened in Skype-RP or Forum-RP, while my story threads are pretty much more about character development in general. I enjoy reading about how the characters of different people interact with each other. Friendship, love, betrayal, villainy. The very nice thing about Discovery is the fact that there are thousands of shades of grey and very rarely characters that are either full white or full black. We don't have the need for evil stereotypes. People who are evil or crazy for the sake of being evil or crazy are the most boring and unnecessary characters out there, similarly to pure hero characters. Those are the ones nobody really cares for. Character development involves conflicts, mistakes, accidents, failures and losses, the change of attitudes, corruption and depression, just to ensure characters will always have to solve a problem, to aim for something. That's my personal opinion.

There are many underrated pearls out there, but my favourite for last year was definitely "Gone.", a story about 's character Elena Voigt, a young woman with blue hair who works as Freelancer, lost her unborn child as a result of alcoholic intoxication, severe stress from space combat and last but not least the mental pressure a certain evil person named Bassam Hussaini caused to her.
Awesome faction backstory: Nadir Reprisal Initiative - Faction Information - Without a doubt one of the best things I ever read here.
Story started by finding a derelict: Figuratively Speaking: Iceberg - Probably biased but I really enjoyed reading this. I loved knowing how it influenced the game and character stories.
Until the part where I came in I enjoyed this one too: Meeting the Knight
Basically any and everything by Commisar's Jane Hartman. Requiem in specific is something I enjoyed reading.
I actually enjoyed reading 's stories about Tal Ravis.
All but a few of these stories were written from the perspective of a woman. I can see a trend forming here...

All were good, i haven't had a chance to go over The League's flop stories but i'll try and find the time if i run out of worthwhile content. My favourite so far was Skorak's suggestion the 'Nadir Reprisal Initiative'. Really captivating stuff.

I'm still looking for material so if you have any suggestions please post them.

As i write the guide it will be useful to have plenty of good qualifty material to reference.
Bump