Discovery Gaming Community

Full Version: [Trial] Hack my comms!
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
DISCLAIMER: This is for me, myself, and I. It is a system to have MY comms intercepted. It is in no way related to hacking OTHER people's comms, and nobody is obligated to allow their comms to be hacked.

This is an idea that has been knocking around in my head for some time now, so I'm gonna give it a spin and see how it goes. Everyone has their different levels of encryption they use (including unbreakable, to my chagrin), and that's neat and adds RP flavor and all. What it doesn't do is provide anything tangible. I've recently set up a new comms template with four encryption levels; Heavy, Moderate, Weak, and None. The idea is to assign a hack % chance to each of these levels, and provide a hack multiplier to each faction in the game. The one thing I absolutely do not want to see here is people petitioning for a higher hack chance for their faction, as the ones I have set up here are categorized by faction type and is a very fair system, even if it does not represent the size or tech level of the faction (ie; no petitioning for the Council to get a higher hack modifier because they're a larger revolutionary faction than the Blood Dragons or Hessians) with one obvious caveat, the Lane Hackers.

How it works

These are the preliminary numbers I came up with and are subject to change if the system seems to be working a little too well or a little too poorly for the hackers. As an example, since a post with Heavy encryption has a 2.5% chance to be hacked, an attempt to hack from Auxesia would result in a 7.5% chance to hack successfully. (2.5*3.0 = 7.5) A random number between 1-100 would then be generated, and the hack would succeed or fail based on whether or not the number falls within the success chance range. See 's spreadsheet here for an example on how it works.

Hack detection

In addition, the inverse rules apply for hacks to be detected. For hack detection, the hack detection chance is divided by the hack multiplier of the faction attempting the hack. For example, if the Lane Hackers attempted to hack a heavily encrypted comm (base 10% chance of detection), the percent would be divided by their 4.0 multiplier, resulting in a 2.5% chance of detection (10/4 = 2.5)

Limitations

A comm can be hacked an infinite number of times by any party, but only while the communication roleplay thread is active. Once a comm has been concluded, it can no longer be hacked because it does not exist. Parties and individuals are limited to one hack per week on my comms, so as not to result in them spamming hack attempts on everything. They will have to pick and choose their targets wisely.

How to initiate a hack

To initiate a hack attempt, simply contact me on Skype, Discord or over the forums. A number will be generated and some mechanism to ensure transparency such as screenshare or a video will be done to ensure a fair hack attempt (unless you trust me implicitly and don't need me to go through the trouble of doing so!)

Hack chance -

Heavy: 2.5%
Moderate: 5%
Weak: 10%
None: 20%*

Hack detection chance -

Heavy: 10%
Moderate: 5%
Weak: 2.5%
None: 0%

*I know this may seem like an oxymoron, but I'm assuming the neural net has some basic crappy encryption in addition to proprietary stuff people tack on. 20% is still a pretty high chance to hack a comm.

Hack multipliers per faction -

Intelligence factions - 4.0x

Liberty Security Force
Bretonia Intelligence Service
MND
Kempeitai
Gallic Royal Intelligence
Lane Hackers*

Technological factions - 3.0x

The Order
The Core
The Wild**
Auxesia
Gammu AI

Military / Revolutionary factions - 2.0x

Liberty Navy
Bretonia Armed Forces
Rheinland Military
Kusari Naval Forces
Gallic Royal Navy
Outcasts
Corsairs
Gas Miners Guild***
Independent Miners Guild***
Bounty Hunters Guild***
Crayter Military
Battlegroup Harmony
Coalition
Hellfire Legion
Red Hessians
Blood Dragons
Mollies
Council

Corporate / Police / Pirate / Terrorist / Activist / Civilian factions - 1.0x

Ageira Technologies
ALG Waste Disposal
BMM
Border World Exports
Cryer Pharmaceuticals
Daumann Heavy Construction
Deep Space Engineering
EFL
Gallic Metal Service
Gateway Shipping
IDF
Interspace Commerce
Kishiro Technologies
Kruger Minerals
Orbital Spa & Cruise
Planetform, Inc.
Republican Shipping
Samura Industries
Synth Foods
Universal Shipping
Bretonia Police
Liberty Police Inc.
Kusari State Police
Rheinland Federal Police
Gallic Royal Police
Liberty Rogues
Xenos
Bretonian Privateers
Gaians
Golden Chrysanthemums
Farmer's Alliance
Hogosha
Bundschuh
Unioners
Gallic Brigands
Maquis
Unione Corse
Zoners
Junkers
Independent Pirates
Freelancers

*They're the Lane Hackers, deal with it.
**The Wild are mostly affiliated/descended from intelligence factions. This is a halfway point without giving them the full 4.0 bonus.
***Either are or possess well funded paramilitaries.
I'd strongly suggest showing us an example. I'm a tad bit confused.
This is a great idea, Can you add a counter hack mechanism, such as if the hack fails there is a
2.5%
5%
10%
20%

+- multipliers
Chance of the OP being informed that faction X attempted to hack thread X ?

I also think that
Ageira Technologies
Interspace Commerce

Would have some pretty hefty intel divisions
Given that Ageira has their renowned "uncrackable" White Boxes, I can at least see them being better than a measely x1.0. Now, how much of a higher bonus is something I'll leave to other people to decide.

I could see a faction like Kishiro Technologies having some Military-grade encryption.

Other than those two, the other faction bonuses make sense to me. I like 's suggestion of the person being hacked having a chance of knowing who attempted a hack. Actually, it would be neat if there was always a chance a faction knows it was hacked, regardless of whether or not the hack was successful, so there's a possibility that a faction finds out about an information leak.

I am curious if a hack would constitute an entire thread, or just posts up until a certain point, or even just an individual post.
And what about a completely factionless character like mine?

Edit: Oh I would fall under terrorist/pirate/whatever
(02-15-2018, 03:00 AM)Lythrilux Wrote: [ -> ]I'd strongly suggest showing us an example. I'm a tad bit confused.

+1

i think TAZ isnt in the list for a reason (insane discordian speach none can ever hack). scnr

best regards ekki
I like this idea and think it could provide some nice avenues of RP, I've been working on a spreadsheet to try and make this doable.

Also, TAZ not being on the list implies TAZ doesn't/can't hack people, not TAZ can't be hacked, by my understanding
Could just do it by Die rolls. I'd be totally up for it, but people with worse encryption need something to balance for that.
This is exactly what I was saying I wanted to avoid. Corps are corps, pirates are pirates, revolutionaries are revolutionaries, etc. If I give a special bonus to literally anyone other than the Lane Hackers, everyone will try to find a way to justify making themselves more powerful in an area they simply should not be, so no, we'll not be doing that.

As for an example I thought it'd be as easy as rolling a D-100, but it turns out that I'm an idiot and that doesn't account for decimals, so I'm still ironing out the details.

(02-15-2018, 06:21 AM)Tænì Wrote: [ -> ]people with worse encryption need something to balance for that.

This is only for my characters, hence the forum section its in. If anyone else wants to adopt it they're free to, but its up to them to modify it.
(02-15-2018, 06:23 AM)Durandal Wrote: [ -> ]This is exactly what I was saying I wanted to avoid. Corps are corps, pirates are pirates, revolutionaries are revolutionaries, etc. If I give a special bonus to literally anyone other than the Lane Hackers, everyone will try to find a way to justify a way to make themselves more powerful in an area they simply should not be, so no, we'll not be doing that.

As for an example I thought it'd be as easy as rolling a D-100, but it turns out that I'm an idiot and that doesn't account for decimals, so I'm still ironing out the details.

Let me put it like this. Lawfuls hacking unlawfuls are the most likely direction (which is natural), followed by vice versa. UN is currently involved in a big multi-party conspiracy RP against organisations who, with the exception of DWR, would benefit significantly from this system, since it's basically only UN on the UN side, and multiple other parties with multiple hack attempts each. So there'd need to be a balance system, or I'll rely on third party text encryption whenever using the system. We're already in a difficult situation to manage - fresh mechanics would need to give everyone an even foot in the game.
Pages: 1 2 3