Discovery Gaming Community

Full Version: How to learn python from scratch?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I have zero experience with coding and I haven't done any math since high school (studied an arts subject in college).

Anyways, I want to go into the field of threat intelligence because it utilises my degree but it also requires some coding knowledge in python. I've got about 15 months or so to learn it after I graduate from my masters program.

I've heard codeacademy is good for learning python syntax etc. but not as good for applying the knowledge. Are there other resources I should look to, books to read, websites to explore in order to start learning python?

I can spare like 1-2 hours per day for this personal project of mine, gimme some advice!
Go through some basic tutorial and then immediately start your project. I felt convenient after 100 hours. Obviously, have documentation by your side.
This is where I learned. Probably one of the best resources out there (can't go wrong with MIT). And free, of course. It will require quite a bit of dedication and self-discipline (if you're new to self-studying), but it is a complete course.

ps: You mentioned that "Codeacademy is not good for applying knowledge" and stuff, but don't pay attention to it. All that matters is that you're consistently getting practice.

pps: Project Euler if you want to practice some tough math-infused problems.
The place where I started and where I point everyone that asks me that very question to.

Despite the name, it's an excellent place to start, and - although you can purchase the physical version - it's free as well.

PS: On the sake of experience, I already knew coding back when I picked this course up, but in three months I knew enough to be employed on the area. So 15 months? As long as you try, you're good.

PS2: Once the ball gets rolling, try CheckIO python challenges.