Discovery Gaming Community

Full Version: New BD-BS and Togo-->BC?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
The Togo is very different from each other BS. It is much smaller, have much energy less and is even cheaper. The Kusari BC is just little bit smaller than the Togo and the Togo player more like a BC than a BS but is much weaker because of the missing thruster. I know the Togo is (RP-historical) very old - around 500 years but maybe the Battleships just have become bigger since that time so what was a Battleship was once, is a Battlecruiser now.
But to be clear: This is not a call to remove the Battleships from the Dragons at all. In game the Togo should be replace by a new one - so people who brought a battleship still have a battleship (or a heavy carrier like at Kronos --> Zephyr). This new battleship could be bases on the Matsuda, that would explain where the know how comes from.
There was a thread of swallow's that had a cocept of a new blood dragon bs. If that gets completed and approved then the togo can definitely be made a BC. It's size is similar to some of the heavier BCs like triptiz and HFBC
From strictly a lore-friendly perspective, the Togo has always been a very odd ship. Despite it being the oldest (or one of the oldest, I'm a little unsure), warship hulls still in service anywhere, it isn't the oldest in continuous commission, which, according to current infocards, was the Bayern class ( 80 years war era to Nomad War era Bismark class) RM battleship, the Westfalen, which is about 215, give or take, years old (the Westfalen at planet Kiel being her Bismark class, ultramodern replacement). That's less than half of the age of a Togo, but, by vanilla, was literally cracking apart at the seams to the point where entire compartments had to be sealed off due to structural instability. This is a Rheinland battleship, which, if nothing else, is known for extremely solid construction. Supposedly that's the absolute max age a battleship can reach before it simply stops being operable.

The best way to make sense of this discrepancy is to view it in the light of the Togo not being in continuous commission - partially because it beggars belief that any hyper-complex starship could take 500 years of continuous use without being hopelessly outmoded. Instead, it's likely been taken offline and had overhauls through its structural life. What was once a battleship could now be a battlecruiser as vessel sizes, armour types, and strategic requirements, evolve, due to the blood dragons simply swapping out the innards. It's not inconceivable.
Since the start of the new BD| (ToI) we were open to the Togo becoming a BC and the new model we are working on becoming the replacement battleship or having both a light and heavy variant of battleships as BD would still be without a Carrier, Battlecruiser or Dreadnought. This isn't out of reach for BD considering the size of Mito Shipyard, however, Durandal is very against the idea of changing or replacing the Togo and although BD| have been kept in the dark as to what the new story devs are planning Terrin had given us the all clear to have the new battleship added.

Despite multiple attempts to get an answer here I still don't know what the outcome will be but rumours are that the Heavy Battleship we have been working on isn't going to make it into the game and all of the RP efforts built around it may have been for nothing, alas they are just rumours as we are yet to get a definitive answer from anyone. My advice is to not waste time/effort discussing it here as the end decision will be made by Xalrok and Durendal.
^^ wrong account, although I guess it was appropriate to post from.
For reference the model that Swallow has been working on:

Link to p3d.in
That's a sexy ship.
I would like to see this ship in use Wink
(03-12-2018, 05:02 PM)misterich Wrote: [ -> ]I would like to see this ship in use Wink

(03-12-2018, 04:56 PM)Tænì Wrote: [ -> ]That's a sexy ship.

It is sexy, It's not complete and if you believe the rumours over the silence then it's never going to come into the game.
Some news that isn't a rumour is that Durandal has said the following:

When being asked about option 1
"My problem is with you having two battleships."

When talking about maybe faction locking the Togo or demoting it to BC
"The Togo is an incredibly beautiful model of high quality and rich lore. We will not."

So from his perspective, it's not looking likely. It would be a shame as this would be the 2nd time BD| put work into developing a new capital ship just to have it removed from them before completion and in this case also massively change the planned story progression for BD as a whole. Hopefully, there will be some news soon, I'm happy to update this thread as and when in comes in as it makes sense to keep the conversation here rather than on the models development thread.
Let's conveniently cut out the parts where Durandal also said it could most certainly be a POB built ship if/when the FLHook people get around to allowing us to add new recipes in.

The Togo is a light battleship, scaled similarly to the Osiris or Mako. It is not "much smaller", does not have "much less energy" than its counterparts. Its also larger than a battlecruiser, so that would definitely be a substantial alteration to the lore to scale it down and change its size. If could actually pass as a battlecruiser scale wise I could maybe justify it, but as that isn't the case, well, not really.

We're also not likely to be adding two battleships (this means carriers, dreadnoughts, juggernauts, etc) to any faction in the game from this point on with the obvious exceptions of houses. Any new battleships given to smaller factions such as the Dragons, Core, Hessians, et cetera who already possess one would likely be introduced through an endgame content system in which they are constructed at player owned bases, which as I said earlier in my post is something that I've requested the hook folks work on.
(03-15-2018, 10:33 PM)Durandal Wrote: [ -> ]Let's conveniently cut out the parts where Durandal also said it could most certainly be a POB built ship if/when the FLHook people get around to allowing us to add new recipes in.

With the removal of guard systems this makes having these end game content ships for unlawful factions extremely more difficult, (near impossible) than their lawful counter parts.

(03-15-2018, 10:33 PM)Durandal Wrote: [ -> ]Its also larger than a battlecruiser, so that would definitely be a substantial alteration to the lore to scale it down and change its size. If could actually pass as a battlecruiser scale wise I could maybe justify it, but as that isn't the case, well, not really.

It's a dated design that although might be able to be reproduced at Mito it is under no circumstances mass produced, I personally don't think it would be much or a lore jump to suggest they were reduced in size to accommodate an attempt to be able to produce Togo-esque vessels at a faster rate.

(03-15-2018, 10:33 PM)Durandal Wrote: [ -> ]We're also not likely to be adding two battleships (this means carriers, dreadnoughts, juggernauts, etc) to any faction in the game from this point on with the obvious exceptions of houses. Any new battleships given to smaller factions.

I totally understand the lore and RP thinking here, but for the last however many months BD| has been the only real hostile to the Kusari Navy, this may start to finally change with Corsairs tearing up the Sigmas but if KNF aren't going to get a house war anytime soon then I can only see gameplay benefits for both sides if BD were to have a light and heavy variant. Or a heavy and BC.

I'm sorry if you feel I intentionally missed stuff out I just copy pasted what seemed relevant to this conversation, as well as the issues with PoBs mentioned above the flHook Ship construction stuff may not even be possible as it's yet to be fully explored and is likely to take years before actually utilized.