Discovery Gaming Community

Full Version: Some questions about rules
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
So after rewording, re-organizing, and updating community, server, forum, bounty hunting, faction, base, and classification rules (without changing the content/meaning) here:

https://discoverygc.com/forums/showthrea...tid=158145

their total number of words went from 4510 to 2623. Rules clarifications were also added in the form of spoilers instead of a dedicated thread. Rules that are 100% obsolete (like those linked to guard systems) were already removed in this, but there are a few rules that seem obsolete or useless to me, for which I'm not 100% sure if there may still be cases where they apply.

There remain the following questions:

1. Is it legal to claim forum bounties that you placed with alternate chars? That would go only for bounties that were placed before they were executed, of course.

2. Should hiring players ingame to kill other players really be against the rules? It seems that current rules make it illegal, although its widely and intuitively practiced by players ingame. So maybe it should be made illegal to hire people to kill other players while you're not logged on anymore without posting it on the forum.

3. Is the following rule still needed? "Players and player factions may enter into contracts with official factions or governments for flat rate fee payments of at least 30 million. The contract and all acts under it must be posted."

It seems this was only put there because a few people wanted to do it, but no one does it anymore. If its needed, how is a "flat rate fee" defined? Per time, per number, or for always?

4. Is this sort of tech permission still practiced and relevant? "Official factions have the right to bounty or attack a player who uses their technology without either the faction ID or official permission, regardless of their diplomacy with the faction of the perpetrator. These permissions may only be given by official factions affiliated with the manufacturer of said technology, and must be documented in roleplay on the forum."

It seems like the tech nerf made it obsolete. Should something about SRPs be mentioned instead? If yes, what?

5. This one is an idea Thyrzul suggested in another thread. It translates into a rule that says that although ships can travel out of their ZOI as long as they don't violate their ID engagement restrictions, they will receive a PvP-Death penalty of 2 days (or longer) instead of 2 hours, which applies to everything outside their ZOI instead of just the system they died in. I hope that such a rule would also make it possible to lift some restriction like Zoners not being able to dock large ships in house space, and Order caps having to stay out of systems that have a jump gate. That could possible require some ID editing, which I don't really want to get into here, but I thought I'd mention it and ask for admin/dev comments on it.

6. I don't know if something like this is already in practice, and don't want to re-formulate SRP rules like the rest, but could we get and additional SRP rule like this: "SRP holders must have the special permissions and limitations linked to their SRP visible in the /info."

7. What is the following part of the current rule 4.4 trying to express? What guns and ships exactly is it referring to? "Ship and equipment infocards which specify their use on a specific ID or specific ship must only be used on that ID or ship."

8. From the current POB rules: "Name, location and IFF of bases are permanent and can’t be changed after construction." Is it a rule that IFFs are not allowed to be changed, or did it just remain from the time before a base could have its rep set to that of a certain ship whenever one wants.

9. Only "non generic" IDs may hire people for bounties. Are there other "generic IDs" than Freelancer, Pirates, and Miners? Do BHG, Zoners, and Junkers count as "generic IDs"
If no-one knows the answer for sure, can I assume that the mentioned rules have become useless and can be removed?

Everyone may express opinions and guesses too.
I added a few more questions.

Anyone who has any information is welcome to answer or comment.
1. Yes, as long as it is open to other players for collection.
3. Was done with reavers a while back. Usually wasn't worth it for the mercs. Payment was once a month if I remember correctly.
4. Tech permission is still required although very few factions and some houses practise it. It's not easy to catch people stealing tech though.
7. Zoner ID, whales. Nomad trial ID, Nomad LF. Probably more.
(03-21-2018, 12:37 AM)Kyoi Wrote: [ -> ]1. Yes, as long as it is open to other players for collection.
3. Was done with reavers a while back. Usually wasn't worth it for the mercs. Payment was once a month if I remember correctly.
4. Tech permission is still required although very few factions and some houses practise it. It's not easy to catch people stealing tech though.
7. Zoner ID, whales. Nomad trial ID, Nomad LF. Probably more.

1: I guess I'll add that in the spoilers then.

3: It's what I though, and could be reduced in the spirit of making it easier for everyone to learn the rules.

4: Would be nice to find someone who actually still uses that instead of an SRP, and ask if they still really need it, for the same reason.

7: It seems like exactly what is said in rule 4.4 as

"Every char must have only one type of ID equipped and they must play to that ID. Ship and equipment infocards which specify their use on a specific ID or specific ship must only be used on that ID or ship. In all other cases where these restrictions and allowances conflict with the server rules, the ID overrides the rules except as described in 4.5"

can be said as

"Every character must use one ID and follow the permissions and restrictions of ID, ship, and equipment infocards."

unless one has a fetish for using three times the number of words necessary and making things hard to understand.

That being said, the Zoner whale infocard says non-zoners flying one will get shot IRP, not that it's an OORP restriction.

And the nomad light fighter doesn't mention any restriction, only the Nomad trial ID. I'm guessing the technerf took care of it.
(03-21-2018, 04:25 PM)Karlotta Wrote: [ -> ]That being said, the Zoner whale infocard says non-zoners flying one will get shot IRP, not that it's an OORP restriction.
"May only be used with a Zoner ID" right at the bottom of the infocard, iirc. Haven't had one for a while though.
(03-21-2018, 04:25 PM)Karlotta Wrote: [ -> ]And the nomad light fighter doesn't mention any restriction, only the Nomad trial ID
Yep. Nomad LF can be used normally, just the trial ID is limited to it.
(03-13-2018, 04:40 PM)Karlotta Wrote: [ -> ]2. Should hiring players ingame to kill other players really be against the rules? It seems that current rules make it illegal, although its widely and intuitively practiced by players ingame. So maybe it should be made illegal to hire people to kill other players while you're not logged on anymore without posting it on the forum.
Just needs other rules in place to make it work. Maybe make it so that you can only hire another person to kill someone if you have engagement rights to do so.
1. I added it to the 3.1 explanations/spoilers

2. I added "be within role play and conform to IDs" to (bounty rule 3.1 in my version)

7. You're right, it says that in red for the Zoner Whale, don't know why I missed it before. I added the ship and equipment infocard thing like suggested. (rule 2.2 in my version)
I added questions 8 and 9 and removed the two that were answered.
Added these questions (and bump):

8. From the current POB rules: "Name, location and IFF of bases are permanent and can’t be changed after construction." Is it a rule that IFFs are not allowed to be changed, or did it just remain from the time before a base could have its rep set to that of a certain ship whenever one wants.

9. Only "non generic" IDs may hire people for bounties. Are there other "generic IDs" than Freelancer, Pirates, and Miners? Do BHG, Zoners, and Junkers count as "generic IDs"