Discovery Gaming Community

Full Version: Project "REDUX" - IRG and Nerva Regis
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
-_-_-_-_-: Supervisor: Rachel Snow :-_-_-_-_-

While this sort of operation has been undergone in various different forms, perhaps it's time to put together a formal report regarding what exactly is happening.

The project at hand this time, is retrofitting the power systems if one Nephilim class vessel with both a Ingenuus Core, as well as converting a cloaking device, and jumpdrive to accept the centralized core's power instead of relying on auxiliary generators.

Before I begin the report, on a more personal note, I've heard rumors about the client. Someone who perhaps.. Well. For the sake of relevance, let's begin.

A question that we've been asked multiple times when undergoing reconstruction operations like this, is why that we need to tear apart a majority of the electronics. To some people, power is power. As long as you stay at a proper voltage, and feed something it's required current, you should be all set, right? - This is a correct question. Mostly. In traditional methods of energy generation, one doesn't really need to worry about the hertz-rate given that a generator is turning at a constant rate. However with the Ingenuus power cells, sadly, this topic usually overseen is one of the greater challenges of adapting standardized equipment into dealing with the cores.

The housing and fixture surrounding each Ingenuus core do a wonderful job at giving a mechanical interface into something which was never meant to have a mechanical interface. While being artificial to some sense, being able to properly draw out energy took a little more work than one may expect. Voltage and current regulation have been accomplished to a satisfactory degree. The energy conduits of the Nephilim are being replaced simply to guarantee that if there is a problem, that the vessel will be able to handle it, and not have a lot of it's wires melt inside of the walls. Given that both a cloaking, and jumpdrive generators will be attached, the limiters we place to keep the core running at a maximum of the vessels maximum, instead of something higher, will need to be removed and set to a different level than usual. But again, simply replacing the conduits (cooled by power from the core, obviously.) with something both superconducting, and a higher gauge, everything should be fine in that regard.

A big part of the overhaul as well, would be energy bleedoff. If there are problems, if there is too much energy, how do you get rid of it without causing damage. One can put in resistors, but you only want the vessel to get so hot. There's been a method that I've been working on to put that excess energy to good use, but perhaps that's a project for another time. I don't think the client would appreciate his vessel being an Ingenuus experiment. - An option is to simply start shunting power into the cloaking generator or weapons. Although I suppose that's less so a hardware issue, and a software one. We'll have the Professor consulted about what he wants to do about that. We're confident enough that that issue will never come up unless tampering, or gunfire breaks something it shouldn't.

At any rate. Back to the previous subject. The one thing which costs the most, is the installation of something called a 'Normalization Block' - No, it's not a very creative name, but the functionality is essential. An Ingenuus core is not guaranteed to output at a specific hertz rate. While one may suspect that the core is DC, and not AC, but in reality there are many, many 'pulses' which are captured. These pulses (perhaps thankfully) don't take very much electrical work, to convert to AC energy. However the speed of the pulses are not always consistent with the current and voltage of the remainder of the core housing. It's a concept which doesn't make much sense with conventional energy generation using turbines, but then again.. This is something beyond us still. We've merely learned to tame these things.

[Image: borderadded.gif]
*Subject A - Energy 'pulses' are not collected uniformly, but in a pattern spiraling around the core itself.

These blocks are able to convert a varying hertz rate, into a set output. The math and engineering behind them is sadly something I cannot talk about much, but the principal behind requires the use of a full bridge rectifier, and storage banks. There's obviously more to that, as converting back to DC won't do much good, especially at these current levels, but that's all I'm allowed to note down in a report it appears.

Once the grid is normalized with these blocks, the remainder of the vessel more or less can be left as is. The old conduit and electronics would work just fine.

However, it's interesting to note that these normalization blocks don't work for the engines, shields, or either of the two special generators we're dealing with. The draw would be too much, resulting in destroyed equipment. Thus these must be modified explicitly to work under direct power from the core fixture. How this is accomplished, is gone about in multiple ways. Capacitor buffer banks, modification to how the generators consume power, thankfully engines are straightforward enough. Most of this, again, is sadly proprietary. I'm sure anyone smart enough to poke around will figure out the gist of some of it, though.

Now regarding the cloaking device.. While it's certainly possible to replace current components to work with the normalized energy output, the client has expressed some interest in linking the cloaking device directly to the core. If anything, it'd certainly be less of a load on the conversion energy grid. Although we'll have to look at our options and compare costs once again. I'll get to that over the following week or so.

At any rate. I'll close the report for the day. I think I've covered enough topics to be satisfactory. If the client has any specific questions, I'll answer them myself.
Modification of a cloaking system.. There are two options available to us. First, simply create a compatibility interface between the power system we've just installed, and hope that the cloaking device works without fail. - While we can guarintee that the cloak would indeed work, the part where we promise that there'll be no problems is a slightly more.. Scary subject. Cloaking devices aren't perfect machines. They're very well built, and are able to deal with converting energy into the field required in order to bend light around the vessel very effectively. If there's a problem with the energy generation, or if there's a problem with the cloaking equipment itself, while it's not going to fail in a ball of fire, you'll most certainly see glimpses of the vessel. Thus ruining the point of trying to cloak in the first place.

Regarding the vessel which we're working on for the client now, I'm pushing that we work on recycling the current cloaking device and re-configuring/recycling a majority of the parts into a system which works using the same principal that the Ingenuus itself uses currently. While that system itself is still a prototype at the moment, we haven't been pushing very much to turn it into a finalized product. If we fail, I'll simply have Ingenuus pay for the loss of capital and credits used to make the change, although I've worked enough with the Feanturi's MK 0 core, where I'm confident that I could adapt the field generation method we used there, on something using one of our marketed energy cells.

Regarding what exactly this process entails, we need to add more to the power core fixture. At the moment, the core is surrounded by a fixture which captures the energy and starts to convert it into normal electrical energy. Outside of that layer of capture, is simply a shielding layer. Preventing the core from radiating any energy outwards, thus making it safe to work in the Engineering deck of the vessel.

If we enlarge the shielding layer, we'd be able to fit in another layer in over the primary capture sphere. This layer isn't designed to draw high amounts of current from the core's radiation field. Specifically, it's meant to use the non-uniform output of the core and harness it in order to create a very large electromagnetic field. - While referring to the graphic in the previous report is at least semi-accurate of what the energy output densities look to be regarding how the core outputs itself, it's not quite correct. It's a little more.. Random.

[Image: giphy.gif]
*Subject A - Energy pulse emittance visualization.

Yes, we're capturing energy which spirals out from the core, although a spiral isn't something we can mathematically calculate most of the time. Despite the uncertainty in the exact point where energy is being emitted from at a particular millisecond in time, surprisingly enough there is certainty that the energy is ALWAYS being released in a single direction. (Released, meaning a low exposure point becomes a high exposure point in a line, if the sphere was rolled out into a flat plane) - There are some exceptions to this which makes it difficult to calculate, however there are some mathematical rules we can apply to make use of this factor. While this is a little hard to put into words.. If you were to picture the sphere as emitting in a clockwise direction. It will continue to emit clockwise. But that being said, imagine that the core is always spinning in place. Meaning that clockwise, while it's a constant direction internally from whatever you'd like to call true north of the core, doesn't appear as clockwise as someone using the ship as a plane of reference. Picture a ball with a laser pointer attached inside of it, and roll it down a hill. The direction of the laser is always in tune with how the ball rolls, but it doesn't always appear as such.

This leads us eventually into what used to be dubbed Project Evanescent.

Capturing this movement, and using the unique properties of the Cell in order to bend, or more accurately, scatter EM waves.
Next report, perhaps.
To hell with it. I'm confident that the equipment aboard the ship is organized enough to where I could instead use the results of Project Evanescent instead of simply replacing the power mechanisms behind what already is in the vessel. Ingenuus doesn't have any plans to do any wide scale testing just yet, so I simply am going to make an executive decision and get some test results myself. If it worked for the Feanturi, provided that we run the ship dimensions through our mathematical model, tuning shouldn't be that much of an issue.

There are two methods that you can use when it comes to handling EM waves. Diffusion, and cancellation. The latter is incredibly difficult, as you'd need to prepare a specific waveform for each little wave incoming. As such, current cloaking devices, including the work we've been doing handles things through diffusion. Now as described in the previous reports, the Ingenuus Cells have interesting properties when it comes to emitting energy. These properties were normalized, when used for the general use power sections of the vessel, although we can use these properties when it comes to bending EM waves around a vessel. Some may describe the waveform as a 'unique, alternating signature'. Which is correct to a degree. It's what was aimed for, in fact.

I've mentioned that despite the seemingly erratic energy output of the core, that there is some consistency to it. This is key for our method of generation. Instead of using a lot of expensive equipment, and energy to create an EM field swirling and churning in a single direction constantly, it's possible to interface with the properties of the core and use the natural waveforms picked up by the fixture surrounding it, and simply generate a field matching what is already being output. It's cheaper for sure, although I wouldn't go as far as calling it safe. After all, the energy used to actually generate the field surrounding a vessel this large is astronomical. It's merely taking a few middlemans of the standard process out of the equation.

The perks to using the waveform created by the core, is that software exists these days which attempts to look for cloaked ships. Using algorithms, and very tuned scanners, technically if you knew the specs behind the cloaking device used, you could slowly begin to predict if there really is something or not in a certain area. This approach doesn't work with a cloaking device running under these principals. Hell, even we don't know what the defined (pre-amplified) waveform is going to look like. Each cell breeded is unique in this regard.

I'm afraid there isn't very much interesting I can talk about in the remainder of this approach. Most of it is simply about the math required in order to tune a cloaking device to cover a ship this size. The nodes we use to shunt the wave generation away from the core itself is still proprietary. Although I'll probably write something up on those at a later time anyways. Hah. Fire me if you dare.

Well. I suppose the remainder of this project merely falls to oversight. Not my problem anymore. We'll run some tests and verify things work correctly when everything is installed.