Discovery Gaming Community

Full Version: Les nouveaux Chevaliers de Sa Majesté - an MRG story
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

The morning following the official announcement, invitation letters were dispatched to the honorees via royal post. The Kingdom never spared expenses when it came to what it considered as its finest or most promising subjects. The letters were a strange mixture of pomp, gravity and warmth towards their recipients. It was made clear that they were indeed bestowed a great priviledge, but that this priviledge was absolutely deserved. And also that failing to be present on the day said priviledge was to be granted would be a grave offense indeed. The Kingdom gives back, it was often said. But it's in your best interests to accept what you're given.

And today, the Kingdom gives its valiant soldiers what it holds in the highest esteem : prestige. They would wake up as commoners, and they would go back to sleep as members of the Gallic society's finest. If they played their part properly during the events to come.

[Image: 1522623350-mrg-ceremonie.jpg]

Isabelle Montlaville de Chanteloup was pissed. Again.
Not because of lukewarm coffee or imminent threats to national security, this time, so there was that. She was pissed, because she was locked in a gigantic ceremonial hall AND in her formal, equally ceremonial gown. The thing was uncomfortable, inpractical and just so bloody conspicuous... Though she dressed sharply with pleasure (outside of her beloved uniform), she had very little patience for massively pompous apparatus. But she understood the need of it, and as with many other things in her life, that was enough to tolerate it.

The night-blue gown was not military issue : the master of ceremonies had been adamant. This was a civilian ceremony, to induct her finest people in the coveted and prestigious ranks of the nobility. Her absence would have been a significant slight to the nobles present, the master, and perhaps the King himself. But more importantly to her, to her men as well. So there she was, refraining from grinding her teeth and keeping her usual ascetic and stern composure while wearing the flashiest garment in the galaxy. Her feet were already starting to hurt. For the millionth time, she shot a look at her programme.

Annointment ceremony, salle Dumont d'Urville - Bureau de la Chancellerie royale, Ile du Palais, Néo-Paris.

- 9h : Welcoming address by monsieur Henri Barnabé Jussieu de Saint Antoine, Comte du Larzac, librarian of his Majesty
- 10h : Introduction of the honorees
- 11h : Musical interlude by the Orléans Royal Orchestra, conducted by dame Michelle Leclerc-D'Estiennes d'Orves, maestra of his Majesty
- 12h : Lunch
- 15h : Digestif
- 15h30 : Annointment of Alaric Jean-Paul Favager d'Astier
- 16h : Annointment of Everett Fontaine
- 16h30 : Coffee and pastries
- 17h30 : Annointment of Pierre Vincent du Petit Thouars, Vicomte du plateau des Coucous
- 18h : Annointment of Jean-Yves Patrice de Justéton
- 18h30 : Musical interlude by the Musique des Equipages de la Flotte, conducted by Capitaine de Vaisseau (retired) Louis Lefebvre de Lattre, maestro of his Majesty
- 19h30 : Apéritif
- 20h30 : Dinner, entrées
- 21h : Dinner, first course
- 21h30 : Dinner, second course
- 22h : Fromages and desserts
- 22h30 : Digestif
- 23h : farewell address by Amiral Isabelle Montlaville de Chanteloup, chief of staff of the Marine Royale Gauloise

Excellente journée à toutes et à tous !

Montlaville snarled at the last item, as she did the previous million times. She checked her watch. 8h30. She couldn't help it : the military life had been drilled in her mind, and she was biologically driven to arrive early. It was not an obligation, or even a conscious decision on her part : it was simply what must be. Old Gallic navy saying : to arrive on time is to already be late.

The room was starting to fill up with nobles from all horizons, dressed in all sorts of conspicuous outfits. Tunics, gowns like hers, tuxedos, coats, tailcoats, dresses, all in colours ranging from the always fashionable blue and gold to more audacious tones like forest green or bordeaux red, Corsican purple or sometimes even pure white, the colour traditionally linked to royalty. The gall ! Her night-blue outfit, although elegant by every possible standard, was just shy of banal in this mixed and colourful crowd. All the better, she thought, with just a hint of bitterness.

A half-hour to go before the old librarian would stammer through his welcoming speech, then. Better help myself to some dark coffee, it's going to be a long day. She was curious to see who, among her honorees, would be the first to attend. Though she was no fan of such proceedings, she was very, very proud of her men. She tapped into that pride, and the day suddenly became a little less dreary. She already knew who among them would like this ceremony the most, and she owed it to them to put on a context-appropriate façade. This day was theirs and they earned it.

As she drifted into her thoughts while waiting for her turn at the coffee and croissants buffet, some old, no doubt very noble geezer grabbed her by the arm with the friendliest of intentions and started prattling at her about how great the Marine Royale was and how proud he was and oh if you'd only seen the civil war and oh back in my day and oh if I was younger. Curiosity to meet her men in this context gave way to impatience. Please, come and rescue me from this slobbering dragon, my knights.
Little stars twinkled in the sky, tickling the night air with an innocent affection late into the evening. The city of Boulogne, on Ile-du-Palais - the Island of the Palace - was large and vibrant. Though perhaps not as sprawling and majestic as Luxembourg only a few islands away, in Boulogne's heart pumped the rich blood of wealthy courtiers, nobles, and bureaucrats.

Her festive streets and plazas were awash with quaint lights and revelers of the late night. There was always cause for celebration. Perhaps there would be some royal ceremony, or dinner party. Perhaps foreign ambassadors would come with their colorful entourages. For most, all their cause would be that they had francs to spend and people to spend it with, fortunate they all were to live so close to the heart of Gallic power and society.

But for a rare few, the cause for elation and festivity would be an upcoming event where they were a guest of honor, or perhaps slated to receive some sort of recognition or award. And on that night indeed, it was the case that some of the military's finest officers were on the precipice of knighthood.

Alaric Jean-Paul Favager d'Astier was not celebrating. He put it as far as possible from his mind, making room for less anxious thoughts.

Sequestered in one of Boulogne's many winding side streets, he sat at a little picnic table beneath the dim neon sign of a kébab shop. It was a humble, greasy hole in the wall manned by two portly and hard-working gentlemen. Alaric could breathe easy here, with simple men of a simple trade. Between men of common status whose only agenda is to work hard and honestly, there is always a silent accord. An understanding and trust, that in the end they are all the same.

He looked up and down the street every handful of moments. His watch ticked ignobly beyond the arranged time.

He picked away vacantly at his fries, gazing at the second meal across from him and the empty seat whose owner it was purchased for. He straightened his simple red polo, re-tucking it into his gray slacks. Endless months of fighting in Bretonia and Liberty brought stresses and discomforts of all type, and for many sailors, just getting out of the shipboard uniform of boots and coveralls was a mighty salve indeed.

Footsteps chattered on the cobblestone. Alaric's head snapped to their source.

There she was. Her rich, brown hair flowed unbraided past her shoulders, under which a pair of keen, warm eyes looked back at him. And a faint smile, rarely shown to strangers or acquaintances greeted him. Her skin was a few shades deeper than most Gauloise, indicative of distant Afrique du Nord ancestry with her slender appearance.

But most of all, the smart confidence in her poise and her light, purposeful steps spoke of someone born for command. Born to be energetic, and the star of intensity.

She waved, ambling over at the most painfully casual pace Alaric had ever seen. Or perhaps her pace was normal, and time for him had merely slowed. Either way, each meter of distance and second of separation invited a fiery newfound yearning. As they looked at each other, the very air heated up. His heart flew and nearly ascended out of his chest, and three months of distant longing now felt insignificant compared to the pain of being at his table, and not five meters down the sidewalk with her.

He stood up carefully so as not to awaken himself in case this was all just a dream.

Her face lit up with a radiant smile, and she ran into his outstretched arms. Just as soon as his name left them, her lips were pressed fiercely against his. Her lithe form sank into his broad embrace, with one strong and weary hand gently caressing her cheek. Boulogne was gone. All of the passion and tempestuous fire which had aged like a deep red wine now ignited loving appetites.

They parted only for lack of air, and as she sighed, leaning into his chest, delicate lavender wafted from her hair, its signature call draping layers of memories over his heart. The heavy taste of her lips lingered, electrifying.

"Yvette, it's not like you to be late," he chided, although the immutable grin on his face betrayed any frankness in his words.

"Firstly," she stepped back, poking his chest with a nimble finger, "I am Commandant Yvette de Gouvion Saint-Cyr, monsieur, and you would do well to remember that." Her tone was sharp; she could play a part far better than he could, but even she could not hide a trademark mischievous glint in her eyes.

He raised his arms in mock surrender. "I'm sorry commandant, you're right of course."

He pulled her seat out for her, and they both sat. They were far too interested in each other to pay anything more than cursory attention to the food.

"Secondly," her voice dropped and slowed to a crawl, pervaded sweetly with honey, "perhaps I just wanted to let you wait for me a little while longer."

Shivers rain up and down his spine. He followed her words, captivated to hang onto each teasing syllable. He leaned in, raising a playful brow.

"Don't you think three and a half months is waiting enough already?"

"Non, of course not. After weeks and weeks away, it all becomes the same. But the little pauses, and the short teases..."

She leaned in, offering him her hand. Just as he was about take it she pulled back ever so slightly. Gingerly, she leaned in a little more, and after agonizing seconds, her fingers stroked his hand in the way only hers did.

"...these are what make one mad." Her words were a perfumed, captivating whisper, taunting him to match her passion.

Alaric chastised himself to keep it together. To stay calm and subdued was a struggle of ever-increasing intensity. His mind raced with fantasy.

He leaned in next, meeting her eyes as their noses nearly touched above the table.

"Tes yeux, j'en ai rêvé jour et nuit. I want you, mon amour. Ce soir, je t'aurai." He spoke in a low, thick growl as months of longing bubbled to the surface. It poured and melted over, casting the same lust which was trapped in his eyes.

She took a deep breath, her cheeks flushing red. She leaned back in her seat, attempting a coy grin as she began to eat her dinner. The facade slipped. Her hands fumbled with the food.

Alaric saw to his own kebab, equally disinterested in it, and not one more word was said as they ate, each trapped in the eyes of their partner. They finished quickly, and were soon walking quickly down the street, with her on his arm.

The world was dead to them. Under a gentle orange streetlamp glow, the sights and sounds of the world fell away. Sweet little nothings were traded in hushed tones. Each word tied them closer and closer together, secluding them in affectionate sanctuary. Their eyes could not will to part, and their lips could utter nothing but one's adoration for the other. They were bewitched and wholly unafraid of it.

Fortunately, it was only a few minutes' walk to Le Royal Monceau where Alaric and the other soon-to-be-knighted officers were being put up by the Marine. Its face of polished stone and glamorous strings of lights suggested all of the pomp and excess of a fine, royal abode.

They made haste for the inside, bounding up the stairs with silvery, anticipating laughter. They shoved into his room, fastidiously locking the door and placing a "ne pas déranger" sign on the handle behind them.

Alaric took stock of any final distractions. He glanced at his rented tux hanging in the closet, freshly cleaned and pressed. His alarms were set for 0600, all of his clothing items were in order, and-

Yvette shoved him harshly onto his bed with all the combative strength of a fit officer hidden so well in her petite form. Alaric yelped, briefly startled. He rolled on his back, and gaped. All the wild, salacious memories consumed him and his regard for anything else in Sirius vanished as quickly as her dress had fallen to the floor.

"Fais-moi l'amour Alaric," she breathed.

And one's worries about knighthood and ceremony were purged from the night.
Yellow. Also some orange and white. And sickly a lot of ocher. It was a photograph that Contre-Amiral Vicomte Pierre Vincent Dupetit Thouars de Plateau des Coucous was looking at. The ocher was, as one could guess, Leeds.

"Are you sure this is the Bateau Ivre?", Thouars asked the officer who was showing him the photograph while pointing at the yellow, orange and white.

"The bases on Leeds received an SOS from them 13 minutes before a telescope on the planet captured that."

"But it was my carriage", Thouars exclaimed like a child in a candy shop, too young to realize what money is. "How am I going to arrive to the ceremony then? Am I going to have to use a... fighter?" Apparently he had about the same attitude towards fighters as towards what the peasants flying them left in their toilets every day, or wherever they liked to leave it. Perhaps in those same fighters.

"We are all humbly at your service", the officer bowed, hoping for a promotion. One of his markings stated: "RNS Landerneau". Flattering, he added: "Chevalier de Port aux Perles."
Monsieur amiral, it is time to attend your every morning shedule.

It is too early

She left his room and he gently threw the silk-bedsheet from his body. The dressing gown, white and crisscrossed by golden silk ornaments revealed her grace to the light of the overhead lights.

His eyes still closed.

Every part of my body tells me, this is too early

The cuddly carpet slippers were lying next to the bed and he raised up from his bed to put them on.

His eyes still closed.

What bad did happen that I had to be wakened this early?

Slowly he raised hit hands and clapped 2 times. The bed automatically straightened, rolled silently under the wall, being refreshened by machines. Not a noise to hear.

Perfect worksmanship

His eyes still closed, he traipsed to the bath room, where he first time opened his eyes

'Monsieur de Justéton, ces't trois heures et quart après du New Paris-standart.' the computer voice stated.

Mon... What in Roi's name?!

In his uniform now, he stood in the bridge of the Betheny. The valor, initially appointed to him, was undergoing maintenance. The usual things, upgrading hardware and software, checks on actual components. Refreshing the Paint on the Hull and inside for noone may forget which great Nation it serves.

The Betheny's bridge fits me aswell

He was in a bad mood. Yet noone told him why he was wakened that early! The majority of the proud soldiers was still resting! Only the nightguards are around.

There is a ship heading to this place, which type may it be?

With the arms behind his back, the hands grasping each, he stood straight at the huge windows. He saw it coming from the direction of the Leeds.. ohh, my error, Agincourt jumphole, through the windows.
It slowly drained its speed, preparing to dock with la Betheny. It was a Liner.

Do the common tourists want to watch how great our efforts and victories at the front are?

Radio Operator: Nous avons compris. Jermaine, you are free to dock with port deux.

Jermaine... One of the privileged line then.

Anyway. He was done with idling. He instructed one of the lower ranked officers to message his sectretary, Leala Leonel de Mercier. If someone knows what he needs to know, then it is her. She is useful.

'Amiral de Justéton, monsieur!'

Her speech flattered a bit. The officer he instructed with this task stood behind him, showing her best salutation she has to offer. It is not everyday someone of this rank gets to talk with one in the staff. It is nothing he would comment. He has his own difficulties with his own things sometimes.

'Oui.'

'Madame Mercier is going...'

'...Mercier what?'

'C.. captaine Mercier moves to port 2. I told her you wanted to know where she is. She said that she has a task to do'

C'est juste merveilleux...

And his mood just kept recieving degradations! Just like the officer infront of him! But, he left these thoughts. An officer of le Marine Royale has to be sober. Always. Pour le nation.

She manages my appointment book. I am almost certain she wakened me. She is leaving to port 2 even though she knows I am searching for her. What. In. Roi's. Name. Is. Going. ON?

'Dismiss, Maître!'

He galantly corrected his uniform. Then, he retreated from the Bridge and walked through the tight corridors to reach his bureau. The two guards at the left and the right of the door saluted. The door lift up. He knew that trieng to contact her would be hopeless when she is heading to port 2.

I will research my carrel myself then.

Nothing.

He searched his system accesspoint, his endless mountain of letters, comming from all possible senders, his own notes.

Monsieur de Justéton, il est 4h30 après du New Paris-standart.

Time is worthy these days! Bon sang! Why is this happening?

Two coffees emptied from the service machine in the wall behind his desk. Time to prepare for petit déjeuner and a scold. Captaine.

'Ami..'

A hesitating soldier entered the room and fell as he passed the door.

Something is off with this morning. Are the Libertonians going into offense? Cannot be. After their defeat in Californie.

'Je suis extremly sorry, Amiral!'

He spouted while standing up.

'Zhis is an urgent matter!'

'I see that.'

'Captaine Mercier wishes to talk with you! I do not know the details. She wishes you to come to port 2. And to enter ordre 76.'

Ordre 76? Is my visit on Betheny over?

'Oui. I shall head out. You may dismiss.

Until my meeting with the chief of staff of la Betheny is still time. I will not enter Ordre 76. The next days are full with meetings on this ship. Too many important people. Such a pain.

His belly grumbled. And his mood just kept recieving degradations! And with that he left his room behind. Going into an unknown future.

One may think, but the reader is in a position of omniscience, unlike his toys.

Il est 5 heures.

A Valor is long, and such is the way from the quarters to Port 2. Only 50 more meters. A few officers stopped him and he lost precious time. 45 meter. The door infront opened.

They need to recalibrated. I was still a half meter too far.

As the door opened, the reason revealed. Captaine Mercier in person. His face showed nearly no change of expression. Just nearly. A little widning of his eyes expressed the small light he saw in all the darkness of this morning.

'Captaine Mercier! Finally I..'

'There is no time! We need to move to port 2! Did you not recieve the letter?'

Such a promp caving-in.

'What letter?'

'Does not matter. Come, we need to be swift.'

'Is the front collapsing?'

He said as they started walking.

'There is no time for jokes, amiral.'

'Then tell me, what is going on?'

'Bien.. You see.. There came a letter from the HC back in deepest Gallia.'

'That's.. unconventional..'

Their fooding almost seemed as if they were running.

This is not good that the soldiers see this.

'Pour royal degree, hereby, Jean Yves Patrice de Justéton has been chosen to receive a title of Chevalier.'

In a moment his anger was washed away like it never existed.

'I prepared a Liner for the travel into la nation to the ceremony.'

I like my secretary. She is useful.

'When will the ceremony occur?'

She sounded a little exhalirated. Not to speak of de Jutéton, whos only job is to sit at a desk in meetings and so forth.

'À neuf heures'

'Date?'

'Oui... tomorrow.'

And there all his anger came right back and swept like a wave over the poor captaine.

'TOMORROW? WE NEED, LET ALONE, 1 DAY TO REACH LANGUEDOC!'

'Oui.. it seems the letter came in late. I just read it myself this morning, when an upset soldier woke me.'

'WE CANNOT DO IT IN TIME WITH A LINER!'

'Oui.. these are sufficient for such ceremonys though.'

'So, this is a reason for coming late? THE WHOLE LORDSHIP WILL BE TAKING PART! AND WHO KNOWS WHICH OTHER NOBLES!

'Then how shall we solve this mess!'

'How should I know? Am I a sectretary? MOVE THE CAPITALS! MOVE DAMNED VALORS IF NECESSARY! AND IF WE LAND NEXT TO THE CEREMONY WITH A VALOR! DO ANYTHING POSSIBLE TO GET ME THERE BEFORE THE CEREMONY STARTS!'

La Bonne Naissannce, which owns supreme driving technology, headed this day out. Back to where it originated from. Come in time. Under all possible circumstances.

Later in deepest Gallia. Battleship Bonne Naissance. He sat at a round table, his secretary on the other side. It was 3 AM. Both were reading news.

'Amiral.'

'Oui?'

'Did you enter ordre 76 into your system access point to deliver your belongings to this ship?'

'I am going to bed.'

'Oui amiral. Rest well.'

He managed to safe an half hour. The battleship was expected. Comms were sent about its coming. Everything was set. A soldier is 5 minutes earlier. But he did not want to waste time idling in some shuttle to admire the sight of the city and landscape below him, like seemingly everyone did. He already headed for the reception for this days guests of honor.

He found a few familiar faces, from the front back in Magellan. None which really interested him. Some he found a feeling of disgust towards. Maybe the result of the last happenings.

Mere 24 minutes and 31 seconds until 9 o'clock. He did what was expected form him and set his well trained, uncharactaristic expression on his face. He'd smile if needed.

That reminds me. If my parents were me to marry some madame, I'd have to set on this face a lot more. The future seems dark and endless at home. When can I return to the front...?
Alaric bounded up the steps to the podium, where the master of ceremonies and members of the royal house stood. All throughout the hall, each pair of eyes was trained squarely on this sharply-dressed officer of the Marine, and his swagger spoke loudly to the room "I am a rightful man of importance."

He bowed curtly to the Dauphine, and gregariously received the handshake of the Roi's librarian. As the crown prince took his sword and prepared to anoint, another member of the royal house coughed, stepping beside the librarian and taking the podium.

"There has been a mistake here."

Gasps and hushed gossiping filled the air like the scheming of a thousand snakes.

"This man of poor birth and bland ancestry is not fit for our tier. Please, I call upon the crown prince and librarian to have him ejected immediately and returned to his command."

"Sir, I..." Alaric began.

"Silence! You know nothing of this society. We who guide Gallia are not meant for the likes of you. And for our lordship's sake, you've even come without pants!"

The battlecruiser captain looked down. Just boxers and shirt-stays covered his lower half! The whole assemblage in the hall burst into laughter, delighted at the show of such a fool.

"Wake up, Mr. Favager," said the Dauphine.

"What?"

"Alaric, wake up. Come on."

"It's time to get up."

________

"What time is it?" Alaric groaned.

Rubbing the sleep from his eyes, he rolled over and looked at his alarm clock on the nightstand. It read 0556, just shy of his alarm.

Yvette was sitting up on her side of the bed. She idly rubbed his shoulder, eliciting a pleased sigh. Alaric wiped the sleep from his eyes and yawned.

"I thought you would rather have me wake you up than some shrill beeping."

"Well, this is it," he thought. He swallowed, trying to push down the butterflies swarming in his stomach.

He nodded silently and sat up. He stretched out his arm in invitation which his noble partner took, as Yvette slid closer and nestled her head in the crook of his neck. Alaric gently kissed the top of her head and stroked her subtle oaken-colored hair. She had a habit of calling it "exceptionally normal," but to Alaric it was anything but. It was a deep and rich brown whose strands fluttered gold and whiskey in the sun. It glowed ever faint in the morning, and splayed over her face it was always a soft invitation to stay just a few minutes, or a few hours more.

It would be better to stay there, he thought. Damn the ceremony and cocoon himself here for all the leave time he had left.

"How did you sleep, amour?" He mumbled.

"Like a baby. I was a little exhausted, you know."

"Oh? What were you doing that had you so tired?" Alaric teased, nuzzling her and peppering little kisses on her cheek.

She offered a conspiratorial wink in return. "I think you should know, since you were there. At least I think it was you. The lights were off, I suppose it could've been any man..."

"Then it must have been jarring for them to hear you say my name so much..."

He laughed. Her smile faded a little.

"You were tossing in your sleep."

He shrugged. "I slept like a rock."

"You were sweating."

Alaric forced a smile and gently separated from Yvette, standing up to stretch.

"Just a little nervous is all. It's a big day!" But her stern gaze remained. His bluster went unpurchased.

She slid off the bed and swept the hair out of her face. "Détends-toi, tout ira bien, amour." Her neck craned, and she offered him a sympathetic smile. "Just remember that you earned this, and keep all your courtesies lessons in mind. It will be over before you know it."

As she slipped last night's dress back on, Alaric stepped into the bathroom to freshen up. "Come on Favager, this is nothing. Bigger idiots than you have done this before," he thought to himself. But as he looked down at his toothbrush, he saw his knuckles white and shaking as they grasped it.

"I'm looking forward to the ceremony Yvette, believe it or not. Being granted the title of Chevalier by the royal house itself... it's always been my dream."

"Exactly. You love this kingdom and you serve it faithfully. What could you possibly have to worry about?"

"Oh, just that Amiral de Chanteloup is one of the guests of honor, and I won't recognize more than six or seven faces, and my history with acting noble and getting along with the nobles is-"

"Hush. It's been years, I doubt de Chanteloup will even recognize you. Just remember the basics. And if you can't do that..." Yvette placed a little booklet on the counter top.

Alaric flipped it open with his free hand while shaving, reading the elaborate handwritten cursive within,

"Firstly, you will be approached at the reception by nobles and officers eager to meet a soon-to-be Chevalier. Remember to bow and introduce yourself with your full name. Greet a lady first. They may be motivated by genuine interest, a desire to make you an ally or protege, or they might just see buttering up to you as a way to get closer to the royals. Regardless, speak slowly and think about your words. Act refined and stay away from recounting your more violent exploits. Next..."

It was a guide to the ceremonies and what to expect tailored just for him, from a high born intelligence officer no less. The author kissed him on the cheek.

"It will look like cheating if you're always checking it out in the open. If you forget something, just step to the side and review it quickly," she advised sweetly.

Alaric sighed. "You're too good to me."

"Oui, absolument. Where in Gallia would you be without me?"

"And where would you be without me to stave off all those Sirian warships?"

She raised a blocking hand and turned away. "I'm not stroking your ego, you're going to get more than enough of that today."

He finished the rest of his morning routine, combing his hair after a quick shower. His rented tuxedo was all set, and it was a short task getting into it with Yvette's help.

She paused in the doorway, about to leave.

"Are you sure you don't wish to go... together?"

His utilitarian reply was immediate. "No, no, I'm worried that de Chanteloup would finally put two and two together. Even after all this time, I can't imagine that the chief of staff would look kindly on our... inter-class fraternization amidst everything that happened. And I wouldn't want to look like I'm clawing above my station, the way my... status is." Those last few words held quiet venom, bared in fangs at circumstances beyond any one man's control.

She scoffed and rolled her eyes, but behind them was a faint twinge of hurt, quickly sequestered beneath a trained, stony facade.

"If that's what you think is best, I suppose I can't hold it against you. But you owe me. I was going to make all those other officers jealous of you."

"I'm sorry."

"I know..." she sighed. "I understand," she put on her best smile and waved. "I'll go get ready myself. I'll see you there."

He waved back, and the door clicked behind her.

He did a final check of his pockets and possessions. His ID and invitation, most important of all, were tucked safely inside of his tuxedo jacket. It was plain, and perhaps uninspired, but it was quality. A good rental for a good price.

Alaric studied the handbook over a small breakfast of baguette and coffee. He checked his phone, and sent messages to all his attending family ensuring that they were on track to arrive at the palace complex on time.

The main gates were only a short walk away, and Alaric deigned not waste his time or money on a driver to take him there. The sentries of the Garde du Corps du Roi were dressed in their rich, colorful double-breasted dress jackets, and those at the front who were checking in guests were armed with their ceremonial pikes. Of course, those guards to the side and in the guardhouse discreetly kept their hands on holstered side arms.

Alaric walked up to the first gate sentry who was available, who promptly offered a deep bow and formal greeting. His timepiece showed 0823. Right on time to be early.

"Bonjour, monsieur noble, and welcome to the Palais Royal. May I please see your ID and invitation?"

"No problem," Alaric replied cheerily as he passed his documents over.

The guard's brow raised curiously at such an informal reply. Alaric mentally kicked himself to remember his fine manners. The guard nodded slowly, comparing the documents to the list on his transparent datapad.

"Ah, Chevalier Alaric Jean-Paul Favager d'Astier! Welcome, monsieur, and my fullest congratulations to you!"

"Uhh, yes of course, good sir. Thank you."

"Please go right on through. The hall of the Bureau de la Chancellerie is ahead and to the left, and quite prominent. Just follow the salle Dumont d'Urville. The receiving hall is just within, and the proper ceremonies will be in the great hall next to it."

Alaric nodded and returned a deep bow. He stepped through, and took in for the first time the infinite and verdant gardens of the Roi, which ranged further than the eye could see.

Fine statues of marble, beds of poly-chromatic flowers, and endless fields of shaped greenery and fountains stretched kilometers to every direction, bounded only by the great halls of the estate and its mighty outer walls. Men and women of high birth walked freely in exotic colors and styles, chatting and socializing. Servants dressed in sharp white and black scurried between them, offering them drinks and snacks.

One of them intercepted Alaric as he walked towards the Chancellerie, coming up alongside him with a serving tray much like a cargo ship conducting an underway replenishment might approach a warship.

"Monsieur, might I offer you a croissant, or creamed pastry? Perhaps some coffee or tea?"

Alaric stared curiously, perhaps for a few moments too long as the servant began listing more items uncomfortably, afraid to have disappointed some noble guest.

"No thank you, I'm fine, man."

"Ah, of c-course sir, I-"

Alaric looked side-to-side furtively as they walked. "You can drop the whole serving act with me, friend. What's your name?"

"I don't think-"

"Come on, it's fine."

The young serving man gulped. He couldn't have been a day over twenty. "Ah... E-Etienne, sir. What is your name, noble sir?"

"Merde, don't give me that sir sandwich. My name's Alaric. Good to meet you, Etienne." He was starting to feel a bit more comfortable here. He offered a hand.

Etienne took it nervously, shaking quickly before anyone important might notice.

"Y-you're Chevalier Favager, sir! Or, you're about to be."

He took a deep breath. "I suppose I am."

"How does it feel?" Etienne visage bore the expectations of a man expecting brash, grandiose stories of confidence and accomplishment. Stories of a man who racked up countless unachievable accomplishments as a matter of raw, talented habit.

"I'm terrified," he chuckled, oddly at ease to admit it so freely in Gallia's sublime bastion.

"What on Neo Paris for!? You're about to be knighted for heroism and you're scared of a little show for some old nobles? None of them would've had the guts to-"

Etienne was suddenly terrified of his own traitorous mouth. Had he been a little closer to one of the side paths or fountains, the wrong man might've overheard and it would have surely been the death of his tenure. But Alaric could not suppress a heartier chuckle than the last.

"It almost sounds easy when you put it like that. Do you really want to know?"

Etienne nodded.

"Well you see... you know how it feels to be normal, right? We're normal. We're common."

"Yes, I understand what you mean very much..." he shook his head, staring off at nothing in particular.

Alaric pointed at him approvingly. "Exactly! This kind of thing is for the news. You hear about it, but... it's always for other people. People who know what they're doing here. People that ought to have an idea how to run the kingdom. How would you feel with all that weight suddenly on your shoulders?"

"I..." he started. Etienne blinked slowly, and shook his head. "My gosh. I guess... I guess I could only do my best. We have no choice but to put our faith in them, and if we have this faith... we might as well trust them to trust us. Or, I suppose trust you, sir."

Etienne looked over, expecting a prompt reply. Alaric looked ahead vacantly, and occasionally a word slipped to the edge of his mouth and his lips would barely open only to close when that word failed to materialize.

"You there! Servant boy! I would like another one of your croissants!" A voice bellowed stentorian in the distance.

"I must go. Thank you... Alaric. Good luck." Etienne bade his farewell quickly and nervously, bowing abrupt at the waste before about-facing towards his next task.

"Thank you Etienne."

Alaric soon reached the entrance of the Chancellerie's receiving hall. Two royal guards posted there noted his approach and opened the doors for him.

"Thank you, Etienne," he muttered to himself.

The great first hall was buried in a deluge of the upper crust. They were wall-to-wall, gossiping in cliques or visiting the coffee and croissant buffet with only ever enough space between them for two or three people abreast. The air coursed with orchestral music, laughter, and casual discussion.

Alaric stood in awe of its majesty. The intricate ceiling frescoes were masterfully framed by the chandeliers' tender lighting, drawing the eye from one end of the hall to the other. He was lost in its magnificence for several minutes, ignorant to the world around him, until a familiar shriek ripped him from his stupor.

"Uncle Garlic!" a symphony of little voices called his bastardized name.

He whipped around, his heart bursting out of his chest for the second time in less than a day, albeit for a different cause. Five little cousins between the ages of four and nine rushed him, clamoring for space to hug him. They were all dressed in child-sized dresses and tuxedos, and the sight was precious enough to make even the most jaded veteran coo.

Alaric scooped two of the youngest up in one motion, filling his arms with jubilant children. He pulled the older, taller ones close beside.

"Look at you all! Pierre... Eve... Leon... Charles, you little prince... Chloe... you're all so big now!"

Their parents, two sets of Alaric's aunts and uncles, quickly intervened, showering him in apologies as they pulled them away.

"Get down! Don't mess up his fine clothes now, this is a very important day! Leon, let go of your sister's ear..."

Alaric grinned, shaking each little hand and giving a hug and greeting five times over.

"I haven't seen you guys in forever, wow! You guys look like you could beat me up now, huh? Look at you!"

Soon the children were under control, and it was his older relations' turn.

"Aunt Josephine, Uncle Leon, so good to see you... oh, of course! Absolutely, never better. Aunt Emma, Uncle Claude... no, the tickets were nothing. No, I mean it, I hardly spend... I don't believe you! Of course it was worth it to have you all here."

He wiped an obnoxious stray tear aside as he looked down again, admiring the little troop of kids who were all far shorter last he had seen them. "They've gotten so big..."

They took a welcome few moments to catch up, now having carved their own little clique circle in the receiving hall.

But following up the caravan of aunts, uncles, and cousins were even more precious faces his eyes had lost for just over two years.

"Mère, père!" His mother ran straight into his embrace, already sobbing with pride before the ceremonies had even begun.

"Alaric, look at you! Mon petit fils is a knight! Oh, long live the Roi!"

He laughed, trying to keep her tears from his immaculate clothes. "It's just a title. I don't even have it yet!" He wrapped her in a tight hug, his father waiting patiently for his own turn, beaming with the loud yet subtle pride of a stoic parent.

"Son."

"Dad."

His father's hugs were rare, but unfailingly warm. They separated after a long few seconds, and both of their eyes were just a little bit bleary. They held the ups and downs, and the struggles, and the sweet moments of life between them.

"How is the mining treating you?"

"Our new foreman is quite tolerable! And a people person, too. We hold meetings now. Not just the managers, but everyone."

"It sounds like things are looking up. But you don't have to keep-"

Alaric's father shook his head fiercely and squeezed his son's arms. "Stop. You really don't have to do this. My answer is still no. I'm not taking your pay to-"

"No no no, it would be no burden on me at all," he pleaded. "I'm making a captain's pay. Good pay. They cover my health and my housing, so what else is there? Just a little under half... you could stop working. I could make up all the benefits, too."

"You already send so much."

"But you could quit mining."

His father took a deep breath.

"I could not be more proud of you, Alaric. But this is what I do. I can support my family. I don't need you to give up what you have for me. You shouldn't have to do that."

"But-"

"No buts."

Alaric sighed, imploring his father one last time with a pleading gaze.

"You'll understand what I mean one day. Save for your family."

"We have a war to attend to, I don't think-"

"Then dammit, save it for Girard's family!" He guffawed, "You know he refuses to leave Amiens, and finding good work will be harder for him than it was for me."

"Fine."

They nodded at each other one more time, and the father stepped aside. The last of the family mob made their presence known in the form of Alaric's adult siblings: two brothers and one sister.

"Girard, I'm surprised you got up on time. Leonide... Marie..."

Out of nowhere, a newcomer arrived and settled in on Alaric's arm.

"Is this your family, Alaric?" Yvette asked innocently. She winked at him, savoring his sudden embarrassment. All eyes were now on her. Her rich chestnut hair was tied up in a messy ponytail, and she wore a deep Gallic Blue column dress cinched at the waist. Her long eyelashes batted chaos at him.

"Yes, this-"

"Yeah! We're Uncle Garlic's family!" A rambunctious Chloe declared.

"Uncle Garlic?" Yvette barely stifled a laugh.

"I guess 'Alaric' was just too hard for them," Alaric chuckled nervously, desperate to ignore the growing heat in his cheeks.

"And Who. Is. This?" Alaric's mother shoved back in with father by her side, both of them taking stock of this dramatic new development. "Oh my goodness Jean-Paul, would you look at her! What's your name, dear?"

Yvette offered a congenial smile. "Capitaine de corvette Yvette de Gouvion Saint-Cyr, Vicomptesse du Saint-Cyr. Royal Intelligence. It is a pleasure Madam Favager."

As the adults gasped and fawned and peppered her with questions, and as the little children repeatedly asked if she was the queen, Yvette whispered into Alaric's ear.

"I'll spend some time with them and make sure they're busy. Go. Mingle at the buffet or something. Act your part."

"I love you," he whispered back.

"I know. Get a move on."

Alaric politely excused himself and slipped into the crowd, making his way to the refreshments. He slipped through a gaggle of young socialites and was about to reach the croissants when by chance he turned, meeting the eyes of a familiar face just a meter away.

Amiral de Chanteloup.
[Image: MAZO4RK.png]

Aboard the Algerie. Leeds Defense Perimeter.

It was quite the early morning. The previous days had seen much action, as the nature of battle tends to dictate. Barrage after barrage, interdiction after interdiction. Hard work, determination, rehabilitation and a life's worth of effort were finally coalescing into one singular, decisive moment. Fontaine woke with a start this day in his quarters aboard the Algerie. As his mind crept into a serious level of consciousness, the first, instinctive thing he did was check his terminal. Information was key, after all. The demands for militaristic discipline in the Marine Royale had ground that hard routine into his mind. The corporate life before that, too. Knowing the coming orders was what moved him to get through the day. So he logged in, and checked the inbound messages addressed to him.

A missive in royal post. This must be quite important. An invitation to the Ile-du-Palais. This must be especially important. Fontaine skimmed through the missive. It would seem that those decades of self-made fortune were finally going to mean something more than francs. Knighthood. True honneur. The party of a lifetime. Fontaine's half-woken heart was swelling with pride and anticipation.

Then it dawned on him. The ceremony was happening today. 0900 hours. He checked the time. 0500. What was worse, he and his unit were still in Sirius.

Merde. Merde. Merde!

No time. If he were to have any hope of making the six systems' journey on time, he had to act. He didn't even bother getting out of his casual bedwear. He stormed down the halls of the Algerie and rushed to the bridge, having no care for whoever might have happened to be in the way. When he got there, his lack of uniform certainly got the attention of his bridge staff, though they didn't really have time to complain before he barked his orders at the helmsman.

The massive battleship that was the Algerie stirred into motion. Fontaine excused himself from the bridge to get more appropriately situated. Even on such a time crunch, it would be a capital offense to show up to an ennoblement looking like liberal-republican trailer trash from Marne. There was a cosmopolitan swagger to uphold. So, to that end, no expense of effort was spared.

Neither was any expense spared in actually getting to Gallia. Fontaine's exact orders called for redlining it through the lanes all the way, engine systems and safety protocols be damned.

The way back was more or less straightforward, and as such, minutes turned into a few hours, the savagery of Sirius turned to the civilization of Gallia. The clock ticked, and it ticked fast for those who had such an important agenda to follow through. So much so that by the time the Algerie had eventually forced and groaned its way into Ile-de-France, there was hardly time to metaphorically breathe, let alone think. The battleship had made it into high orbit among the space colonies of New Paris, though not without the expected strain on her engine array from such a long and vigorous burn of fused petroleum. There was also the slight problem of actually getting down to the Ile-de-Palais without, say, crashing a fully powered capital craft on the Roi's head. That probably wouldn't bode well. There was a matter of minutes left before the processions began at this point, and the wait through formal docking controls, as well as positioning between the docking ring entry and the actual site of the gathering meant that "safe" arrival on time was a moot point. Late arrival was deemed a non-option.

Fontaine knew this, and had a plan in mind. While the vast majority of the space complement of a Valor's support craft complement went to fighters and bombers, a smaller section was devoted to freighters. Manual atmospheric entry with small craft was always a risky proposition at best, especially without some form of navigational beacon marking an ideal entry vector and approach angle. A fighter could make do in such a situation, but Fontaine demanded a proper "limousine". One of the logistics freighters of the Algerie would serve the role well enough.

And so it would. With hardly any time to spare, the zippy tonnage hauler blew its way through the opening hangar doors of the Algerie and towards its hastily calculated target. In the skies, it would become a firey comet as it burned through the barrier of New Paris' atmosphere. Once safe altitude and speed was reached, it was only a matter of gunning it to the chancellery. The freighter would arrive over its destination with about a minute to spare. A suitably uncrowded landing zone was identified and the freighter touched down. The man himself was waiting in the hold as the rear cargo access hatch slowly opened and met with pavement...

A citizen of New Paris screamed "Meteor", but she was immediately arrested for spreading panic. Not before she succeeded.

It was day. And then, it was suddenly night, at least over the capital city. A tiny, black circle was hanging from the sun. Very gradually, it was becoming an enormous, white rectangle. In an hour, it was clear that it was a Valor. That was when it noticeably slowed down, in order to avoid creating a category five hurricane over the capital city. The display of military might that put everything that was built down there in a shadow united the populace, and probably provided the Navy a number of recruits. The way it was used could have divided it. One of the conditions that the landing control bound the Landerneau by was that they do not loom directly over the ceremonial hall, but slightly to the side, so that, if the anti-gravity generators fail, the falling Landerneau massacres the commoners and not the nobility gathered in the hall.

When it stopped, a gush of air reached the roofs and the ground, exciting the dust into the air. Several commoners lost their hats. A gate on the bottom hull opened to release a beam of angelic light, which graciously hurled a ramp down to the street, like a hungry demon's tongue, towards a crowd of curious onlookers, who scattered like poultry.

It was not hungry. In fact, it was there to vomit.

A number of servants dressed in white ran out, drawing a thin, white carpet over the ramp and the street, all the way to the towering stairway of the ceremonial hall entrance, which was now belittled. Shortly before they aligned in formal positions on both sides of the carpet, waiting, the majestic vomit had made its appearance out of the light.

Thouars had light years to dress, and about 500 tonnes worth of free cargo hold for clothes. As it appeared, he had used every square centimeter. Stuffed into every ornate piece of cloth he could find, albeit only gold and white, carrying a wig the colour of bronze, which resembled a city centre statue, a very wobbly one, and made him at least a head taller, he had to walk slowly in order to stay gracious -- and dressed. As effort was made to make him not look fat in all of that flamboyance, it put his body under pressure, and made his double chin imposingly pop out. Its surface qualified for a number on the Richter Scale upon every step Thouars made. With all of it combined, his appearance gave the impression of a neo-baroque opera house that was somehow maintaining integrity on a landslide.

He tried to bow when he reached Chanteloup, who was impatiently looking at her watch tick the appointed time precisely at that moment. However, his robes were not made for those who bowed.

"My sincerest apologies for not arriving earlier, madame", he chirped out like an overweight peacock, after taking several minutes to cross not much more than 100 meters. "And for dressing... this way. My carriage was destroyed, and I had to improvise." He had sent the Bateau Ivre, together with the formal robes he was supposed to wear, on a dangerous task that very day by complete coincidence, of course. The crewmen that were killed or injured were so in the name of Gallia, not in the name of Thouars' whims for pomp. That was implied. But even if it was, by some twist of fate, arranged intentionally, no one would pay much attention. Merely another set of commoners trampled by the extraordinary needs of a nobleman, it was surely Council propaganda.
Chanteloup tried hard to dodge the old geezer’s spittle, and was frantically looking for a way to excuse herself when she locked eyes with one of her honorees. She was not surprised to see he was the one to arrive at the earliest. And naturally, their eyes had met. A good pretext to dodge the geezer, and the promise of an interesting conversation ahead. All of their previous encounters had been interesting, each in their own way. Visibly reacting to seeing him, she made excuses to the geezer, sidestepped him and essentially beckoned to Favager, who looked like a puppy lost on a bowling track.

« Alaric Jean-Paul Favager d’Astier. Commandant AND soon to be chevalier. And I was already having a hard time choosing how I should call you. Found your way easily, I presume ? Or have you been up all night, camping in front of that door to make sure you wouldn’t be late ? »

“Well no ma’am, I’ve- I wasn’t…” he stumbled over his words and cleared his throat. His hand twitched with a suppressed “salute” instinct. “I walked the route yesterday. I wouldn’t want to get lost on such an important day. I had to give my guests directions, after all.”

His hands fumbled over a warm croissant on the buffet table, his focus remaining on the superior officer many times his magnitude.

Montlaville took a moment to inspect Favager as he babbled in the most charming of ways. It had been like that almost every time now. Beneath the hardened shell, there was a lot going on. Agitated waters, a clearly turbulent soul. Trained as she was to read into the smallest signs of body language, his well-meaning stammering was much like an open book. With very large, colourful illustrations. His garment didn’t surprise her : efficient, no-nonsense, but not without refinement, either. Sober, to the point, without flash or excessive pomp… All much like himself. Those last attributes made him stand out a little from the scandalous crowd that had amassed to see the Majesty’s new chevaliers… But not in a bad way. To her, at least. As he mentioned his guests, she looked besides his shoulders. The man was considerably taller than her, but she made do.

“Ah. So I take it this unruly rabble is somehow connected to you ?” There was a hint of sarcasm to her tone. In Chanteloup language, that equalled to a very obvious, slap-on-the-bum tone.

Favager’s eyes shot open and he crushed the flaky little pastry in his fist, snuffing out the innocent life within. He turned on his heels, checking up on the mob of relations a half-dozen meters away.
He took sober note of the troop of kids clamoring over an intelligence officer in a brilliant blue dress, and the older guests in budget formal wear chattering loudly on mundane subjects.

“I can ask them to keep it down ma’am, if that’s what you would like. They’ve never been to a formal event like this before. I’m sure I could get them to take a walk in the gardens, or look at the fountains-”

Chanteloup cut him off, perhaps a little abruptly. “ You will do no such thing. Let them enjoy it. Your success is theirs too, after a fashion. I’m well aware of your… Social background, Favager. To show merit is to receive appropriate reward…”

Elévation par la victoire,” he muttered.

“Such is one of our core values. They contributed to your success, they’ve earned some of the spoils. You don’t have to introduce us.” Montlaville added, quickly. She was cautious to reassure the clearly nervous Favager. She’d need him at the top of his social game : part of the reason why he’d been made a chevalier, despite his obvious merit, was to show that even elements from the lower classes of the Gallic society could make it to such positions as the one he was holding. A commandant AND a chevalier from a family of miners was, to her knowledge, a rarity. So rewarding merit, then ; but politics, as well. There was never a break from those. That didn’t mean she’d have to contend with an army of blabbering, invasive children. She had none of her own and was notoriously ill-at-ease with them, owing to her lack of experience. Or so she told herself.

As the thoughts unraveled in her mind, she realised she’d trailed off after cutting off Favager, who was now clearly distressed, observing her, mouth agape. “Oh, go ahead, then, let’s get this over with.”

“Oh, really, Amiral, you don’t have to take the time to meet all of them. There are so many nobles and officers here…” he stretched out his arm and waved across the hall. “I’m surprised you even have a minute for me, quite honestly. I can’t imagine how much of a chore today is for you.”

“About as much as I suspect it is for you. You’re getting a title, but that means something to me as well. The pain is shared but the honour is as well. And if you breathe a word of this to anyone, I will see personally that you’re dropped into Fleury-Mérogis’ deepest hole and never see any light again.” She checked her watch, something she hadn’t done ever since the conversation started. This time, entire minutes had passed, and still no sign of the pompous fools. They’d better not fail me or there’ll be hell to pay, she thought. “Your colleagues are only on their way, and I have no obligations to the rest of this... honorable assembly. I am the chief of staff of our Marine, which apparently comes with the nice perk of choosing how I get to spend my time.”

Favager was a bit more at ease now, almost chuckling at the concept of his comrades from Magellan missing their appointed time. “I had better hope Contre-Amiral Thouars shows up soon. I can’t get enough of that man!”

“Oh, he’ll be there… He’d sooner die than miss this.”

“He picked an amazing superlative for his knighthood, but I’m not allowed to say.”

Montlaville winced. “I imagine he did. I expected nothing less, and I’m not sure I like that thought. I suppose we’ll all find out soon enough... “ She checked her watch again.

He wrapped up his pulverized croissant in a napkin, without ever having taken a bite. He took a deep breath, straitening a highly unfamiliar bowtie.

“It would be my honor to introduce you to my family, Amiral. I wouldn’t be here without them.”

“Then we may as well get it over with now, before things start picking up speed. We may not have that possibility once the ceremony starts in earnest. You’ll be under intense scrutinity the whole time. And I don’t plan to stick around once the day is over.”

As she spoke, she noticed the traditionally reserved Jean-Yves Patrice de Justéton sneak into the main hall. He was wearing his usual ceremonial façade, a contrived, pleasant air of someone who’d much rather be just about anywhere else but had to put on a good show. He was good at that, too : surely the man had experience. He’d fool most of the dignitaries who had shown up… But not her. Not that she’d expected him to suddenly show such a foreign concept to him as joy : it’d take more than a knighthood for that. Precisely what, she wasn’t sure. He turned and finally saw her. Keeping a polite distance, he greeted her about as formally as formal can get, with the merest hint of warmth. She replied in kind with a nod and a half-smile, before returning her attention to Favager. Seconds had passed.

Soon-to-be Chevalier Favager was already waving over his veritable platoon of guests. The vast majority of distinguished attendees paid no heed to the high count of seats allotted per person. Alaric was one of the few to ever worry that such a number might be insufficient.

“Mère, père, this is Amiral Isabelle Montlaville de Chanteloup, Chief of Staff of the Marine Royale Gauloise. Amiral, these are my parents, Alice and Baptiste.”

He quickly shooed away the half-pint swarm gathering around his legs. “Come on, back up, you’ll get your turn. Leon, let go of your sister…”

“Amiral, it is our highest and most gracious pleasure,” Baptiste Favager intoned reverently, bowing curtly at the waist. Alice followed his lead and bowed in the same fashion.

Montlaville acknowledged their greeting with a brief nod, then shook their hands warmly, in quick succession. Her handshake was firm and snappy, a surprise for one so frail in appearance.

“Bonjour, monsieur, madame. Your son gave me one hell of a headache a few years ago. He probably never explained you why.” She chuckled to herself, another rarity. Turns out this ceremony was an occasion to slip out of character, somehow. She added quickly :
“You’ve done well by supporting him up to his joining the Marine. It can’t have been easy for you, but you’ve done it. He’s a good officer, your son. He always means well and he’s been a reliable asset to us ever since he joined my unit. For that, I’m grateful, and pleased to meet those primarily responsible of his existence”. She realised too late how awkward she might have sounded. Social gatherings had never been her forte, and she suspected the presence of so many younglings impeded her judgement.

Alice and Baptiste either brushed it off or didn’t notice.
“We’re so glad to hear that, Amiral de Chanteloup. My husband and I have supported the Marine our whole lives and nothing makes me happier than to know… to know mon petit ours is doing so well…” Alice trailed off, flapping her hands to fight back the tears.

“Merci, Amiral,” Baptiste grovelled, pulling his wife aside so as to help get her together.

Next up were the aunts and uncles, until a familiar source of mischief pressed out from their legs and ran straight up to Chanteloup. Little Chloe stared up in wonder, and words tumbled out of her silly little mouth just a hair faster than Alaric could step over and cover it.

“Armory Canteloupe, are you the queeen?”

Alaric knelt down, wiping a bead of sweat from his forehead. “No, petite, Amiral Chanteloup is not the queen,” he began sweetly,” but I’m sure she can give me the guillotine all the same if you ask any more silly questions!” His desperate whisper was just barely audible over the din of the room.

Several complicated things occured within Montlaville. Or rather, one very simple, elementary thing occured. She was touched. She was not prepared for any of it. The simple display of Favager’s humble and so visibly proud parents hit her in unforeseen ways. Their authenticity and so evidently gentle nature a stark contrast to the atmosphere of the hall, all in glittering appearances, elaborate pleasantries and drilled curtsies. She was not done processing this as they excused themselves and the rest of the Favagers filed in. As she cautiously returned herself to the usual stillness, she was assaulted by one of the little ones. And what the little one told her triggered another unexpected and unusual reaction.

Montlaville laughed, loud. It was a barked laugh, sonorous, throaty, the absolutely genuine and unprepared kind that is not so easily controlled. Almost a muscular reaction, that she deduced must have owed to the contrast between the parents and what she assumed to be the little sister. All so very authentic and without filter, raw, untamed emotion projected straight at her. She, who was intensively trained to extract as much information as possible from the smallest hints in someone’s body language. This was like biting into a hot pepper with a mouth trained to recognise the merest details in the most subtle of red wines.

The laughing stopped. Montlaville regained her composure as well she could, but could not suppress a smile. “I am not the queen, little one. But your interpretation is flattering, and your… Raw courage… Is certainly commendable. Favager, I expect you will teach this one what you’ve learned during your service in the Marine. She’ll make an excellent recruit !” She tried to impart humor to those last sentences, and hoped it would come across.

Favager could not help but laugh, restrained as it was. He was still recovering from the utter shock of the recent situation not ending in his own personal armageddon.

“Aye aye, ma’am. But maybe not everything I’ve had to learn,” he took a far less nervous bite from his pulverized croissant. “She has a better head on her shoulders than me.”

Then, as the rest of the family had gathered around, Alaric scanned for any more mischief at roughly knee-height, only to find that all five of his little nieces and nephews had absconded off somewhere. His eyes darted around in a brief panic, until he caught sight of five rental dresses and tuxedoes lined up at the buffet. Leading them was a familiar savior in a blue dress. Yvette had put some mystical spell on the ruffians again.

“By the Roi’s grace…” he sighed. He choked down the last of his croissant. Alaric looked back over at the chief of staff, cursing himself for daring to take his attention away for even a second.

“I do wonder how you can keep track of all of those at once. No wonder you’re… Adequate in regards to leadership.” She realised her tone was softer than usual, and had been so for the past three minutes and seventeen seconds.

“Perhaps taking away their tarte Tatin priveleges isn’t too far from cutting a sailor’s pay.”

Montlaville chuckled at that, and even felt a ping of compassion for the little ones... She was done counting today’s oddities, but she’d need to put a limit to those at some point. She checked her watch… And the worries returned, shooing away the irregular light-heartedness of the moment.
“The rest of your colleagues are still at large, and time’s passing, fast. I’ll see if I can raise them in any way… Go, Favager. Mingle. You’re here for a myriad reasons, and one of those is to get yourself known to those people. So go do that, while I make sure this ceremony won’t be a complete disaster.”

“Aye ma’am,” he rocked to attention, throwing up a sharp salute, which he cut the moment he realized what he had just done out of uniform. “Excuse me.”

Montlaville wasted no time and moved away from the buffet and into the gardens, all thoughts of enjoying a least one bite of a croissant utterly vanished from her mind. That was too busy calculating every possible outcome of the next half-hour, as her watch ticked dangerously to nine o’clock. And what if they didn’t get the letter ? Had they even RSVP’d ? Were they held back by something ? Terrorists ? A surprise attack somewhere ? Were they still alive ?! Had they even existed at some point ?!!

Realising she had taken things past eleven there, she suddendly remembered the lessons of that one yoga lesson she’d attended under the pressure of a friend of hers, centuries ago. She never went back, and the mere thought of those people stretching in ridiculous ways, wearing such silly clothes while being told by a very serious voice that they were plants… That was usually enough to calm her nerves or bring up the more cruel side of her humour. But this time called for more, and she drew on the actual teachings that she could remember. Breathe. Think happy thoughts. And… Something about letting go. Merde, ça ne fonctionne pas.

Eschewing foreign and unproven practices, she darted back inside, towards the buffet, and took entire minutes to savour a croissant. The crisp, warm, buttery artistry of it all. A millenia of tradition and savoir-faire that had conspired to create something so simple, so fundamentally perfect… The completeness of the taste, the satisfying texture, the smell of it all. What more could anyone need ? She’d heard that the Libertonians had the habit of eating croissants filled with that gooey puffy white cream that seemed so unpleansantly omnipresent in what passed for their gastronomical culture. The idea of it revolted her every time. Bringing an unneeded, tasteless and primitive layer of almost pure fat to baked perfection sounded like an analogy of everything Liberty stood for. More than enough to march against them, to be sure.

Her chakras still utterly misaligned, this fresh outburst of purposefulness mixed with the profound satisfaction extracted from the croissant had done wonders to soothe her mind. She was now in the best dispositions to pass a few of her notorious furious phone-calls, which were as brief and violent as a thunderstorm and generally left those on the receiving end feeling like the trenches of the Somme circa 1918.

It turned out both fools had indeed RSVP’d and had the presence of mind to document their departures – or, more likely, someone under their command took that upon themselves. They were somewhere, coming. It was ten to nine.

And then.

All at once, her watch burst to life, the time display fading to reveal the red list. The dreaded, crucial list. The « URGENCES » list. A long list of notifications appeared, and kept coming. Two Valor-class ships had just barreled through to Néo-Paris, with critical effects on today’s trafic conditions. Security warnings. Breached perimeters. Panicked radio officers.
She thought the Conseillards had finally done it and had hijacked two Valors to sneak into Ile de France and wreck the whole place, revealing themselves at the last minute. She then remembered who she was dealing with, as she read that one of the Valors had stopped just short of breaching the atmosphere and had deployed a freighter. That was the Algérie. Good, she thought. Timely and pomp to the extreme, but he had probably planned it all from the beginning to how the cargo ramp would hit the pavement. Fontaine was such a one. She could already imagine him, posing in the frame of the freighter’s cargo hatch, before making an imperial descent with as smug a face as smug could be. The Aurochs finally arrived and touched down softly in a designated landing zone, a minute or two away from the hall entrance. Then the cargo door opened… And all proceeded exactly as she’d anticipated. And certainly how Everett Fontaine had planned. She followed his slowly approaching silhouette, his step as prompt as he could manage without breaking into an undignified trotting.

But then, more red lights. The second Valor had breached the atmosphere and was somehow tumbling down above her. She took her eyes away from a surprised Fontaine and looked up. And sure enough, a Valor was there... Probably defying a few laws of physics in the process, but she had long ago decided that Gallic engineering was clearly above such petty constraints. She might have been silenced by such a display in another context. As things were, her fury was mounting at roughly the same pace as the Valor was descending. If it came down and crashed, the explosion of her massive amounts of pure ***** wrath would make short work of any survivors.

It didn’t crash. And there it hovered above ground, emitting intolerable vibrations that could be felt deeply. Montlaville, amidst her rage, found herself amazed at all the hall’s windows enduring so much punishment without flinching. And then, the ship finally delivered its cargo. And what cargo it was ! The plump Thouars sauntered off and headed seemingly right for her. His outfit was layers upon layers of colours, shapes, textures with little apparent care for cohesion and matching. Months of bitter warfare did nothing to change Thouars’ inner being : he was who he’d always been, and she could hardly see what might change that.

He made his excuses to her livid face, utterly oblivious of the massive amounts of chaos his arrival had unleashed. To a man like Thouars, this was only wednesday, which only served to infuriate her further. She usually prepared and planned her thoughts in advance before giving a public dressing-down to a subordinate who’d failed her. This time however, it was too much for her to bear, and she decided to improvise. She’d rely on instinct.

She inhaled, started to yell « THOUAAAAAAAAAAAARS »… Right as the massive wooden doors of the hall closed down right behind an unfazed Fontaine, who flicked a single particle of dust off his shoulder. Naturally, the deafening CRACK of the closing doors had rendered her cry inaudible, perhaps even to Thouars himself. She had no time to recover, as the master of ceremonies bellowed commandingly at the guests.

« Monsieur Henri Barnabé Jussieu de Saint Antoine, Comte du Larzac, librarian of his Majesty ! »

9h02. The welcoming speech. Time to line up. What’s a Valor breaching the capital’s atmosphere to a knighthood ceremony ?
De Justéton roamed through the audience hall in search for something worthy of his attention.
A short look at his watch. It was an old watch, the colour of the once white dial turned a little yellow. Maybe 100 years old? Maybe older? The watch was an heirloom, passed down from generation to generation. 20 minutes have passed since he entered the audience hall and no one yet bothered him. The simple, and yet very stylish and traditional bourdon-coloured uniform fulfilled its purpose.
Somewhere in this hall is his family. He already knew where they would be. Sitting somewhere podium form where they could look down on all these conceited nobles. Which in return makes them look ridiculous as they are only around the middle-class of the nobles.
He now remembered how it came to be that his parents supported his career in the military in lengths which no one would believe. A stepping stone is, what he is for them. The military, the ladder up.
Not that he really cared about it. In the end he enjoyed his life in the military. He was a very proud soldier and he did not hold back to express his life purpose in formalities to everyone who dared to address him.
On the search for interesting opportunities de Justéton slowly moved towards the banquet with the Croissants. Through all the voices and music around him he notices something he did not hear in the past decade. Loud laughing children. Just by his curiosity he walked towards the voices. And he walked into someone he wanted to avoid under all circumstances. Amiral Chanteloup.
For a second he was frozen. She seemed happy. She looked around and found his eyes. A short, formal greeting. He left while acting as if this could be any day. Maybe the news did not reach her yet? Weird though. This giant blaze of light should have been seen from half the planet.
As he calmed down, he refined the alignment of his suit and moved towards the entrance doors. Inside the hall no one interesting could be found. Though he did not really look around for people he may know. He decided it could be simpler and more pleasant to watch the nobles as they enter the hall.
A bloodcurdling sound quivered through the whole building. This sound reminded him of something. Oui. It was the siege of the Planet Leeds, as our forces breached the weak defensive forces and landed on the planet with thousands of ships full with royal solders, ready to burn down anything that had the foolishness to fire back. A few minutes passed. The grand door finally opened. Vicomte Pierre Vincent Dupetit-Thouars de Plateau des Coucous. Wrapped in hundrets of colourful towels. Rather than walking into the hall he was tipping. Maybe 1 meter each 10 seconds.
De Justéton turned his head away. Then his body. Expressionless he walked away.
So, he realized, Thouars too had to hurry to this planet with a Valor. That might be why the Amiral yet had not realized that la Bonne Naissance made use of the Jump Drive and offered the sight of a new shiny, but short-lived sun above the Sky of the capital. The ruckus from a Valor landing on this planet must have been much greater.
As he almost walked through the half of the hall, someone behind him called him.
‘Monsieur de Justéton.’
As he turned around, his eyes revealed the man himself. Commandant Fontaine.
The doors slammed shut just as Fontaine and Justéton locked eyes and right before the master of ceremonies boomed at the entire hall. There was no time left. Chanteloup grumbled and fell in with the rest of the audience, knowing that the ceremony proper was now on the rails and there wouldn't be much she could do anymore to escape it. Two battleships breaching New Paris' security perimeter hadn't been enough to cancel the proceedings, and she didn't happen to have a third one in her pocket, so so much for that. As she moved with the crowd towards a small stage set up for the occasion, she made zero effort to try and conceal her displeasure at being here... And then, once more, remembered why she was. The men. Her scowl turned to a frown, which turned to a somewhat pissed-off air, to a faint grin. That would have to do.

The audience had finally assembled, and the whispers had died down to a few stern remarks by the master of ceremony. The librarian appeared and slowly made his way to the stage and up to a pulpit. He was a frail old man, walking with difficulty with the help of a cane... Chanteloup wasn't sure he'd make it to the stage's pulpit, but there he went, a radiant smile on his wrinkled face and sweet joy in his eyes. The librarian wasn't the impenetrable wall of scorn she'd imagined. The man was clearly, merely happy to be around. A rare development in such mundanities.

He cleared his throat and greeted the audience with a microphone-amplified voice. A soft voice, rather evocative of his appearance. He was soft-spoken and sweet... And sleep-inducing, it turned out. Or maybe it was all the anxiety leaving Chanteloup's body... Either way, she could make out that the good librarian was speaking of the great responsibilities of nobility, primarily. Probably a warning to the honorees that, although their many glories had been acknowledged, they now had a great responsibility to Gallia's people and her values. They would be charged with upholding those values in any time, any place. En tout temps, en tous lieux. She felt it was a bit of a reminder for some of the more grossly decadent nobles who had gathered around today and whose service to the Crown had probably never extended beyond a good birth, breeding and paying taxes. Such absence of merit. The mere thought woke her up and brought some anger back, which she dispelled quickly.

The kindly old man seemed to build up to the conclusion of his speech by mentioning the many virtues of sacrifice, of looking out for those below your station, of achieving not for your sake, but for others'. A telling angle in these times of bitter war, but a valuable thought all the same. It was important for the cream of the Kingdom to feel superior, yes, but not out of reality either. That was the opposite of the point... And a frequent occurance. Unregulated amounts of pomp and promises of untold riches often made short work of stern discipline and austerity, no matter how hard military training could get. Eventually, he bowed, and scuttled away humbly, most likely to his precious library, under sober applause.

"HONOREES ! ON STAGE !" bellowed the master of ceremony while everyone was either dosing off or still absorbing the sobering speech. Most of the audience jumped, and the four honorees made their way to the stage and faced the audience as ordered by the master through curt gesturing. Fontaine was, naturally, stoic and utterly commanding, a quiet storm in his eyes and the merest hint of a smile. Thouars was completely in his element, trying (and succeeding) to look as pompous and exuberant as possible. Chanteloup seemed to notice he was going through several facial expressions with utmost subtlety, looking for the one that'd best suit the occasion... But it might have been her imagination. Then came the towering Favager, who looked equal parts terrified and overflowing with the raw, untamed pride of modest folk. He had the air of a gentle giant in a porcelain shop, very happy to be here but fearful that even batting an eyelid would wreck the whole place. And finally, de Justéton. Or a statue of de Justéton : as far as Chanteloup could tell, the difference was a subtle one. He was standing perfectly upright, all military discipline and cold blood, with his usual mask on. He can't wait for this to be over.

The master bellowed their names and titles, one after the other, which took an unreasonable amount of time. Fontaine's grin turned into a particularly smug smile at the mention of his growing list of titles. Thouars practically squealed with content during the prolonged narration of his own pedigree. Favager went from gentle giant to perfect military uprightness in a blur when his turn came. De Justéton stood, nonplussed, with practiced polite aloofness. A round of applause greeted the honorees, who were invited to leave the stage. The audience was then shepherded to the main dining hall, which took a considerable amount of time. The crowd wasn't that big... But dressed in such a way that made quick movement unthinkable. The procession trudged along and found their place around the ridiculously fastuous table according to their attributed seats.

As they sat, dame Michelle Leclerc-D'Estiennes d'Orves and her orchestra went about their art.