Discovery Gaming Community

Full Version: Liberty Terraforming & Technology - Planet Edmonton logs
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
[Image: ZUIJpRW.png]

Background

"The Greenery", as LTT employees came to call it, is a simulation program that transfers those connected to a virtual reality with green fields and bird songs. The employees use this program for entertainment, de-stress and record their thoughts and feelings in a Peer-to-Peer secure connections.

The LTT teams on Planet Edmonton are numerous but small in numbers each; they mainly consist of mining crews, researchers, xenobiologists, geologists and a few security personnel.

Logs

Patrick Miller, April 12
Dr. Michael Palmiri, April 17
Dr. Michael Palmiri, April 25
Sam Witton, April 28
Kevin Persons, June 01
April 12, Eclipse Season, 825 A.S.
Patrick Miller, Geologist
Navara Region, Planet Edmonton

Okay so where do I start? This is my first log.

Err... right. This my second day on Edmonton and we're grounded because of the eclipse. Wainright is a slow-moving moon. In fact it is so slow that it coincides with the spin rate of Edmonton causing us now 6 hours of complete darkness. According to the manual I read the next eclipse would take place in five months, so it's not much of a deal... unless of course I step outside. According to the manual the moon's gravitational approach combined with the sudden fall of temperature causes a vicious snowstorm that even our secured camp is having a hard time keeping out.

I wouldn't have believed it if I hadn't seen the shield running at full power, it's good that Paul and Misaki set it up rather quickly. Tomorrow we will go to Sector B for more drilling. Planet Edmonton is extraordinary and this is a great opportunity for me to gather as much experience as possible for my thesis. With a bit of luck, we will discover something new. We will see, no big words we have just started!

-- End log

Log Entry:Preliminary Orbital survey of Planet Edmonton, Alberta System.

[Image: GDy7FUa.jpg]

• Author: Dr. Michael Palmiri, Commanding Officer, Research Vessel Edmonton
  • Credentials: PhD: Geology, Botany. MS: Xenopathology. Cambridge Research Institute.
  • Date: April 17, 824 A.S.
  • Location: Sector D3, Alberta System: In orbit of Planet Edmonton

Last week was good.

The company's flagship project is finally moving forward and no expenses have been spared to make this a reality. I made that a point of pride. I used a considerable portion of my personal wealth to commission an "Enterprise" class Liner and contracted Baltimore Shipyard to restructure and repurpose the ship into what I hope will be the premier research vessel of LTT's eventual fleet. Planetform's incompetence brought us to this point, and i'm eager to take up the mantle they so carelessly dropped. This could easily be the largest milestone of my career, and I intend to confront the situation both meticulously and dispassionately.

We have spent the last several days orbiting Edmonton, observing its gravitational and orbital properties. Preliminary information as follows:

[Image: QgtuVaO.jpg]
BASIC
-----
Mass: 8.18e+24 kg
Diameter: 14,152 km
Density: 5.51 g/cm3
Surface Gravity: 10.9 m/s2
Escape Velocity: 11.87 km/sec

ORBITAL ELEMENTS
----------------
Semi-Major Axis: 6.98 AU
Eccentricity: 0.22
Inclination: 14.3°
Orbtal Period: 18.3 years
Periapsis Distance: 5.44 AU
Apoapsis Distance: 8.51 AU
[Image: qCWmSWq.jpg]

MOTION
------
Relative Total Velocity: 10.2 km/s
Rotational Period: 26.2 hours
Rotation Speed: 471 m/s
Obliquity: 46.1°
Argument of Obliquity: 71.7°

The most immediately noticable feature of the planet, is its high degree of inclination from the plane of the ecliptic. Alberta's other major planets vary only between 1.2° to 3.5° inclination. The reason behind this large variance we have yet to discover, though I would speculate a massive collision with a large planetiod occured million of years ago. However, this will be impossible to prove or disprove until extensive topographical and geological surveys have been completed for review. Or goal over the next week will be to study Edmontons magnetic field and to accurately map the surface to determine optimal locations for more permanent ground facilities.

End of Log

Log Entry:Magnetic Field survey of Planet Edmonton, Alberta System

• Credentials: PhD: Geology, Botany. MS: Xenopathology. Cambridge Research Institute.
  • Date: April 25, 824 A.S.

The first phase of the expedition is nearing completion.

Orbital calculations of Edmonton and its satellite have been recorded and we are currently finalizing our summary of the planets magnetic field. The surface may be mostly frozen rock and ice, but the upper core is undoubtedly still molten. Surface field strength is slightly higher than standard, fluctuating between 0.31 - 0.75 gauss. The pole angle is inclined 17° off the rotational axis, and the magnetosphere has been observed to extend beyond the orbit of Wainwright at its maximum. I would submit the probability is high that a suitable atmosphere could be sustained should future efforts to restore it be successful.

-------------Field lines imposed over starfield------------------------------------------------------------------------------------Representation of magnetic polarity----
[Image: dqHqAmV.jpg]
[Image: C4vU8Qt.jpg]

-------------Minimum boundry of magnetosphere----------------------------------------------------------------------Maximum boundry of magnetosphere----------
[Image: 64yMvcR.png]
[Image: Fe2nyhl.png]

Our next objective is the one the entire crew has been waiting for. We will be landing several teams to assess surface conditions and to construct the temporary modules that will serve as our initial command posts and assembly areas. Priority will be given to the location of sites suitable for the construction of more permanent and expansive facilities from which to conduct operations. I can't wait to get my hands on the core samples we dig up. They are going to tell us so much about the history of this planet.

End of Log
April 28, Eclipse Season, 825 A.S.
Sam Witton, Miner
Grand Icebanks, Planet Edmonton

Day 76.

The Project Manager delivered the instructions of this week. And guess what; it involves digging, digging and more digging. What's the point at this rate?

The super-arctic climate leaves no room for ice melt. It's so cold that every molecule of vaporized water returns to the Icebanks in a matter of minutes. And on top of that certain elements found in Edmonton are fused with ice which make it extremely tough and hard to penetrate. In fact we are wasting our diamond-reinforced mining machinery like crazy. But the company keeps importing more uncut diamonds from the Omegas.

The Project Manager says that Geologists are confident we'll soon reach Edmonton's surface. We have already penetrated two thousand meters of ice but I feel we are not even close. The crew is tired from overtime. One more week before I get a leave... and of course I can't stop thinking how many things I need to do once I leave this god forsaken place. I will see Mary first, then the lads.

-- End log
June 1, Solar Season, 825 A.S.
Kevin Persons, Chemist
Grand Icebanks, Planet Edmonton

This is incredible.

Beneath the ice shell of the planet, life has preserved. We expected micro-organisms or proto-life but here we found advanced life forms. Animals in the size of the rats are roaming the tunnels they built licking and consuming almost any chemical ingredient Edmonton's geological activity produces. They are totally blind though. According to the Project Manager they have no known natural predators as well. He also says that the tunnels are so many that they can easily cover millions of miles if we stretch them all into a straight line.

Anyway the manager says that with the special speakers they brought which are producing 24/7 infrasound, they are keeping Edmonton's wildlife away. I wonder how did they know all this? Did they study the animals perhaps? No formal announcement of the scientific discovery has been made so far and we're forbidden to reveal it as well. NDA contract, my arse. During break times I am taking lots of pictures secretly. And frankly I don't care any longer. Oops I gotta delete this log entry, got carried away and I really shouldn't have said this.

At least you got it out of your system, Kevin.

-- End log

Log Entry:Establishment of planet side facilities

• Date: June 19, 824 A.S.

It has been a rewarding two months,

Our efforts to establish a permanent presence on this planet are finally paying off. Engineering crews have completed construction of 5 outposts in the southwestern hemisphere. Our immediate goal is the expansion of these locations into atmosphere processing facilities. With the recent incredible discoveries in the Grand Icebanks, further development of these facilities is paramount and in the best interests of Liberty. I am submitting a formal request for additional material to further this goal and the expansion of Platinum Incorporated research labs and landing bays to accomodate this goal. These are truly exciting times for all of us.

[Image: a34fEDG.png]

End of Log
October 12, Dark Season, 825 A.S.
Klaus Paiper, Project Head Manager
Jasper Main Settlement, Planet Edmonton

October 1st: Supplies for November arrived in Beverly Settlement.

Also, lost contact with WV689 team located in the far reaches of the Southern Ice Desert after a major avalanche. Authorized seven drones to be sent in the area and investigate.

October 2nd: Three more mining teams report that they reached ground zero, beneath the Grand Icebanks. Project Managers report that the crews are utterly exhausted. Granted them a week of leave.

October 5th: Finished constructions on the tenth and final settlement: Strathcona Settlement. Behind schedule and with many unforeseen setbacks, but we are now prepared to reside on the planet during the Frost Season. LTT's primary objective goals are now complete.

October 8th: New directive sent to every Edmonton-based Project Manager. All preliminary research by the biologists and xenobiologists will be conducted on the settlements before authorization to move it offsite, to Platinum Inc. Told them that these are direct orders from the VP because of a near contamination on the space station, two weeks ago.

October 10th: All settlements are now fully connected with the main computer. They can be accessed 24/7 and remote commands can override localized ones. Settlement crew will remain uninformed of this update.

October 12nd: Edmonton teams were informed to return to their home settlement within the next two weaks. Settlement doors will be sealed and re-opened in the next year.

Also, spoke with the President and he authorized the Project to proceed to Phase 2.

-- End log