Discovery Gaming Community

Full Version: Would you be interested in..
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
So as some may have noticed, I've been working with rewriting the Playerbase plugin - As I continue to work on what still needs done, I've been brainstorming some extensions which can be built on top of it.

Perhaps the most controversial thought I've had so far, is extending the amount of data which the plugin makes public externally. Would you folks like to see (in the far future) a section on the website here which lets you see ALL of your playerbase stats?

It's health, it's current market (everything the station is buying and selling, as well as quantities) - Bank amount, module status (this plugin will allow some complicated modules to be programmed in, so there may be a lot of information available), friendly/unfriendly tags, etc.
All of this information can be locked behind a page requiring you to type in one of your base passwords in order to view it, that way nobody else can peek in uninvited. - There used to be something similar which the staff had previously, although this would be something public.

With some Javascript, and perhaps Semantic-UI or some other good looking CSS framework, this could be made to look really darn pretty.

Good feature? Bad feature? What do you folks think.

Primarily all this would require on my end, is the proper functions to export all of the data, as well as some additions to the Freelancer-API. It's certainly feasible. You'd only have read-only access, so if you wanted to make changes, you'd have to sign into the game, but this may be nice too.
I think it depends on who can read what. If you need associated account to view your base there, it's fine. However, if police player can see that quasi-lawful POB is selling contraband, that might be a bit too intrusive.

EDIT: Heh, somehow missed the password option. Good call on that. I might suggest tiered password for viewing it just like ingame. Or even better, although more likely harder to code, owner account granting forum accounts leveled access rights.
In a programming sense, it can be designed to reveal or hide however much the specs require. That is merely a decision for the community, and staff to make. (Or I can keep my efforts on other projects)
immersion++;

Jokes aside, sounds solid. Would be easier for base admins to check stuff on the go as well, which is cool on my book.

Cool. Cool cool cool.
Also, what we really need is to be able to view POB IFF ingame without docking on it. Bit off topic but this is crucial for gameplay and roleplay.
(04-13-2018, 05:39 AM)SnakThree Wrote: [ -> ]Also, what we really need is to be able to view POB IFF ingame without docking on it. Bit off topic but this is crucial for gameplay and roleplay.

Yes. This. times one thousand.

Having this available would save so many headaches and would've prevented several in the past (looks at Omicron Delta)
(04-13-2018, 05:39 AM)SnakThree Wrote: [ -> ]Also, what we really need is to be able to view POB IFF ingame without docking on it. Bit off topic but this is crucial for gameplay and roleplay.

I will look into this, although i have a feeling that due to the limitations of FLhook and Freelancer, it will not be possible to display it on click like you see with ships. However, I may be able to put it into the Infopage you get when pressing F9 with the base selected while in space.
Playerbases are next on the todo list. Keep an eye on the SolarCntl trello board for the status on that feature.

(04-13-2018, 05:36 AM)SnakThree Wrote: [ -> ]EDIT: Heh, somehow missed the password option. Good call on that. I might suggest tiered password for viewing it just like ingame. Or even better, although more likely harder to code, owner account granting forum accounts leveled access rights.

I no longer have access to the forums SQL database, although with full access to the webserver for development, I could probably have specific forum accounts granted access to it. That is something that needs brought up with Alex, though.
I think that being able to define recepies serverside on demand was one of the more popular to-dos at the time.
What about ship packages?
(04-13-2018, 06:23 AM)sindroms Wrote: [ -> ]I think that being able to define recepies serverside on demand was one of the more popular to-dos at the time.

I took a crack at that the other night and realized I'd have to do at least an 80% rewrite of multiple files to properly support that.

There's just way too much hardcoded crap in that plugin.
(04-13-2018, 06:23 AM)sindroms Wrote: [ -> ]I think that being able to define recepies serverside on demand was one of the more popular to-dos at the time.
What about ship packages?

Yes, factory modules will be very extendable by configuration. There will be lots of improvements over the old plugin in terms of extensions and tweaks. See the thread linked in the first post for the general intentions for the rewrite

I will make a FAQ section tomorrow covering some common questions and features to be added