Discovery Gaming Community

Full Version: Thoughts on Repair Ships
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
So, many of you probably know already of these two episodes that I've recently uploaded on my channel, featuring two separate examples of using an otherwise very unpopular shipclass - the Repair Ship.

Some of the comments, both on the videos and on Discord, made it seem that the people were seriously contemplating on making the repair ship a part of their shared account fleet, which in turn made me frown a lot and a response video soon followed explaining why it is a waste of money and how the repair ships in their current state do not make any sense to be used intentionally.

But I would love to see this shipclass become more common, especially in larger engagements. However, the way that the ships are designed right now simply makes them impracticle in realistic scenarios.
The current rendition of the repair ships are:

*ships that are intentionally vulnerable and easy to kill
*are supposed to sit outside of the field of battle and provide repairs to ships that escape the combat area

Without going in too much detail, that in by itself is a flawed concept, as, apart from nomads and wild, players have plenty of docking places for them to limp to if they do escape a battle. Restocking on a base right outside of the range of enemy players is quicker, faster and allows to repair damaged external equipment and reload on any ammo used during the fight, BBs included. The only practical use of a repair ship happens to be only if they are participating directly in the fight itself, in which case there is a fundemental issue with how they are currently balanced.

*The ship thrusts at 170ms.
*The ship has little to no defensive firepower.
*The ship has no CM or CD.
*The ship is the size of a gunboat, while having the armor pool of a standard SHF.
*The repair gun arcs are as follows - 90° upwards, 90° to either side. It cannot aim backwards, it cannot aim downwards.
*The repair ship has a SHF shield.
*The range of the repair beam is 500m.

This is, of course, intentional. You must be able to kill a repair ship and the few things that do make the ship good - its turnrate and the ability to bot up quite a few times, as well as a reverse thrust speed of -40.

However, the role of a support ship in realistic encounters only works when it is worth spending a player on. In short, the repair ship as it is now, relies too much on coordination with the rest of the fleet and whoever it is that you are repairing. That is to be expected, but this is to the point where simply having another combat ship in its place is more profitable. The lack of CM means that any well-tracking missile, ESPECIALLY the Silencer gunboat missile and even sidewinders deal huge amounts of damage to you. The fact that capital missiles are now very popular also makes it very possible that if you are caught with your shields down as a nightmare hits - you are toast. The range of the repair beam also makes you stick very close to your target, so if they need to use flaks to repel torpedoes, you will be hit by them if you do not get out of the way in time. A slow thrust speed also makes it impossible to dodge gunboat fire, or even worse, bombers or turret steering freighters.

The repair ship, if flown correctly, can be sufficiently survivable. A turret-steering ship can avoid lots of incoming fire, the reverse thrust allows to dodge snacs if timed right and the turnrate allows you to stick to whoever is it you are repairing and allow them to deal damage to your attackers. However, as mentioned in the video, it requires a certain amount of competence with turret steering. To make sure not to get flaked, to keep an eye on attackers, avoid their fire while healing and keeping an eye out on incoming torpedoes and cap missiles means that you need someone skilled enough with turret steering on a repair ship to make it usable.
The fact that the ship repair is precentage based only makes battleships and BCs feasable repair targets, as their displayed health is their ''maximum potential hitpoint pool'' already, unlike ships with BBs. This means that the other shipclasses are ''not worth wasting time on'' repairing, due to them requiring to be quick on the nanobots button while under fire in the fear of being instakilled.

Conclusion:

In 99% of the cases such a player would have been more useful to your side if they were in a capital ship.

As already mentioned in the video, it also makes no sense to put a pvp-newbie in a ship like this. Even if you consider that the loss of such a player during an engagement would not have made much of a difference because of their lack of PVP skill, they would have been more useful if you had given them a dual-nova bomber and told them to lob torps at the target from 4k range, within relative safety.

The ship is too specific.

The ship cannot even be used to justify backing up a cap. If you encounter an enemy battleship in your battleship and you want to ensure victory - having a repair ship makes no difference to you. Neither of you have a CD, so the target can flee. If you had a third person to CD - you would have won either way just because there are three of you in the first place, the repair ship player being more useful as just yet another bomber/cap. These issues all stack up and makes the repair ship one of the least used ships in the game in a day to day environment.

The current repair ship is too complicated to be used in realistic engagements. However, there are ways to make it easier. Any one of these changes could make the repair ship more usable in an average engagement.

*Giving the repair gun 800m - 1k range hitscan beam and putting the repair gun on a 360 slot.
This would allow you to repair ships without potentially bumping into them.

*Giving the repair ship 195ms thrust.
The ship is a large target, it would be nice to at least get some distance between you and your attacker if they are flying a larger ship.

*Giving the repair ship a transport shield.
One of the current meta is to use a double-scorcher/hellfire cloak bomber to instakill repair ships regardless of how close they are to their repair target.

*Giving the repair ship a CM or CD.
Being able to act as a torpedo CDer for whoever you are repairing would benefit you even more than your target.

Alternative:
Having a dedicated, specilized repair ship might not be the way to go.
Giving capital ships their own variant of the repair multitool, while putting it in its own tech cell in order to apply a 50% core nerf to anyone using it as a balance procedure might also work. The current 2% per shot repair precentage should be, in that case, divided by the maximum amount of heavy turrets the gun can be put on. If the shipclass has a maximum of two heavy slots (gunboats), each gun should be split into a 1% repair rate. Etc.

These suggestions come from my own experiences with the ship so far. Your mileage may vary.
Discuss.
First post amended with an alternative suggestion.
Make repair heavy turret to able turning BT in adequate logis. Main problem - we need logis with battle supporting ability, because we have small amount of peoples, and repair ship is just -1 DAKKA.
I can mount a repair gun on a Valor, but it doesn't work Sad
Curently , we have repair ship that sucks and SHF that also suck .
Why not unite them , give SHF a repair tool ?

SHF has tankines , but cant kill wery well, repair will be good roll for it .
(04-18-2018, 01:25 PM)sasapinjic Wrote: [ -> ]Curently , we have repair ship that sucks and SHF that also suck .
Why not unite them , give SHF a repair tool ?

SHF has tankines , but cant kill wery well, repair will be good roll for it .

I'd say that a SHF would perform worse than the current repair ship due to the lack of turret zooming.
(04-18-2018, 12:55 PM)Thunderer Wrote: [ -> ]I can mount a repair gun on a Valor, but it doesn't work Sad

You can mount four of them on a Hurricane. Way more effective if you ask me Wink (if it actually worked)
I would personally be in favor of buffing the Repair Ship itself, especially since it would allow all factions to benefit from it, and not just those who have access to cruisers and battleships. That being said, I'm also in favor of allowing "Repair Capitals" by nerfing their core to half. A 50% reduced core means they aren't completely useless in battle, it just means that they certainly won't be the ones dishing out the most damage, which is fine since they'd be there more to repair others and take pot-shots with their reduced core, anyways.

To quote a taco commercial: "Why not both?"

As far as the specific buffs to repair ships, that's a toughie. I own a Repair Ship myself, but admit openly that I have yet to get into combat with it yet, so I'm purely analyzing this from a theoretical perspective. If I had to pick two of the four presented, I would definitely pick the 360° turreted repair tool option for the first one. This would allow anyone with even a modicum of Turret Steer knowledge to far more easily keep their repair gun firing. Technically, whenever that repair gun isn't firing while your target's shields are down, that's potential healing-per-second you're throwing away because you're having to dodge fire from hostiles. Having a 360° repair tool would make it far easier to fly (Plus the increased range would prevent your own patient's flaks from team-killing you, or enemy explosives from splash-killing you).

As for the second buff option, I feel like I would go with the Transport Shield option, but I would also take it a step further by giving the Repair Ship the hull rating of a Pelican (60,000 base armor) and either A: Giving it increased BBs to match the new hull and shield rating or B: Merge nanos into its hull so it doesn't have to worry about getting ganked as easily by Cloaking Double-Sorcher-Hellfire bombers. A Cap Armor Repair Ship with a higher hull rating would give it much needed survivability! Heck, even a generic AU on 60,000 is enough to survive a Snac, which still sees a lot of use on bombers. Why is something the size of a gunboat, unable to survive a Snac, even with a Cap 8 AU? (Side note: Looking at you, Spatial. You need some love.)

...And of course after having wrote this, I hit Preview and see someone had the stroke of genius to suggest that SHFs have Repair Tools. Do want! I still say Repair Ships could use a buff on top of this however, since SHFs can't Turret Zoom.
One of the listed reasons of repair ship being weak is that it can repair one ship at a time and thus a fleet basically wastes an experienced player on a ship with limited survivability. Consider option of giving a repair ship, say, a field of nanobots that heals ships with shields lowered down in a zone with radius 700m. In this scenario, repair ship can repair as vulnerable as it is now, but the benefit would be worthy of the risk since the whole flotilla can get repairs if positioned correctly. Or maybe add a codename gun for caps with similar effect (and 50% reduced efficiency) that acts as a EMP field, but repairing allied ships. This can also benefit swarms and upcoming drones for carriers.

The technical issue here can be that hostile ships can also be repaired. Although, it might also be a feature of additional risks.
I wonder if the healing factor can be applied to missiles, not just a regular projectile weapon.
Nanobot missiles or something.

Target ships with shield down, apply fire-and-forget doots.
Pages: 1 2