Discovery Gaming Community

Full Version: Idea: Navy/Military cannot demand fines
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
This idea stems from a horrible distribution among police and military/navy ID choices. It is obvious that we lack police characters as military/navy can do the same as cops can, and more, including flying bigger capital ships.

Perhaps this could be solved by removing ability for military/navy to levy fines against ships that break laws. This might shift people towards flying police ships that could "profit" from lawbreakers around their house.

At the same time, military/navy would have to either send evidence to police forces to keep records of people who refused to stop breaking law/drop contraband which would lead to more roleplay or simply deal with such people there and then without any further consequences.

When it comes to smugglers, military/navy would only be able to demand contraband and couldn't fine smugglers, so smuggling might be done a bit more relaxed, maybe without going to extremes of avoiding all possible interactions out of fear to lose more than 100% of smuggler's cargo value.
I think thats a good idea... gives police an advantage. I never heard of Military in real life levying fines on commoners, and i served for 4 years.
A well-grounded idea. As of now, there is little incentive for police factions to play since all the features of police (except for the pursuit sound) can be executed by the military. Actually, army in militaristic house like Rheinland can RP that army is the law and therefore can levy fines. Still, I am not that good with Rheinland lore to suggest it.
Speaking here as LPI co-leader, I think this is a terrible idea. There are no reasons to take away gameplay elements from existing IDs for the benefit of unused ones. It is up to the factions to promote the popularity of their ID and there are better ways to do it than demanding other allied IDs to be nerfed.

I do agree, however, that the line itself should be renamed to
"May enforce FACTION NAME laws as described in the Laws of Sirius within their ZOI."
and have the Laws of Sirius thread be linked to the Server Rules as it should have been ages ago.
(04-24-2018, 06:39 AM)sindroms Wrote: [ -> ]Speaking here as LPI co-leader, I think this is a terrible idea. There are no reasons to take away gameplay elements from existing IDs for the benefit of unused ones. It is up to the factions to promote the popularity of their ID and there are better ways to do it than demanding other allied IDs to be nerfed.

I do agree, however, that the line itself should be renamed to
"May enforce FACTION NAME laws as described in the Laws of Sirius within their ZOI."
and have the Laws of Sirius thread be linked to the Server Rules as it should have been ages ago.

Signed, for the sake of formality.
It just creates weird situation when you are fined by some battlecruiser. Which is like being stopped on a small boat near Hawaii by a US Navy Destroyer and written a a small fine paper for proceeding inappropriate course. There is a Coast Guard for it.
The OP unusual idea which could be interesting when applied to handling smugglers, but under other circumstances may cause absurd situations similar to times when caps were not allowed to shoot transports so smugglers were happily flying around military ships and laughed at them for inability to do anything. Basically military would be unable to handle most of the situations when they can not fire but law is broken, be it illegal equipment or even direct insults aimed at them. Thus it would end with frustrated players and most of the illegal stuff either ignored by military, or police factions overwhelmed with reports and need for forums paperwork regarding them (and that´s not any fun in high amount). Not to mention that perpetrators have easy way out from later consequences in form of cheap renameme.

Like I said in another thread, law enforcement roleplay is heavily restricted already so I don´t think restricting it even more is a good way to go.

---

(04-24-2018, 05:43 AM)Kalhmera Wrote: [ -> ]I think thats a good idea... gives police an advantage. I never heard of Military in real life levying fines on commoners, and i served for 4 years.
(04-24-2018, 07:16 AM)Gardarik Wrote: [ -> ]It just creates weird situation when you are fined by some battlecruiser. Which is like being stopped on a small boat near Hawaii by a US Navy Destroyer and written a a small fine paper for proceeding inappropriate course. There is a Coast Guard for it.

In real life there is police/coast guard/other law enforcement ready to act 24/7 which that military/navy can call if they see some law breaking or suspicious situation. We don´t have that on Disco and thus both gameplay and roleplay should reflect it and not turn militaries into "I can not do anything unless it´s shooting" guys.

(04-24-2018, 05:52 AM)Gardarik Wrote: [ -> ]A well-grounded idea. As of now, there is little incentive for police factions to play since all the features of police (except for the pursuit sound) can be executed by the military.
Not really, another unique features only police possess is TLAGSNET and officials have also /nodock command what is incredibly amazing thing.

(04-24-2018, 05:52 AM)Gardarik Wrote: [ -> ]Actually, army in militaristic house like Rheinland can RP that army is the law and therefore can levy fines. Still, I am not that good with Rheinland lore to suggest it.
There was not really reason for this even in the past when military had much stronger influcence. Military´s role is mainly to fight, not actively hunt smugglers, unlicensed traders or check for unregistered bases. And now the Rheinland is quite less militaristic than it used to be with corporations having strong influence over stuff.
At the end of the day this is probably just going to add more paperwork to police factions.

Nope.
I'm more for balancing the fines they can impose relating to what pirates would be sanctioned for demanding. Demanded all the cargo? No fine, you took all their profit.