Discovery Gaming Community

Full Version: PvP deaths
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Hello all,

This is a request for a rule change if i may be so bold . My idea is simply this;

I understand that when a player is killed in PvP, they are to leave the system and avoid combat with the party that killed them for 4 hours. I also understand that it is advised to the player who was killed that they change to another ship/character all together, and still stay a way from the person or people that killed the player. :rtfm:

Now what does this rule mean to me as a player. It tells me that the game admins want to do two things.

1: The admins want to create a realistic sense to the game that if you are killed, it will cost you, and that it takes time to re-establish a new ship and so on and so forth.

2: This rule is ideal, but not perfect to prevent grudge matches of 1 persistent little bugger coming at the winner of the pvp match for the next 15 hours. A cooling off time if you will. :sleep:

I have to say that I agree with all of the above. But I have 1 issue with it that I would like to have addressed if it's not too much trouble.

My issue is this, that there needs to be an exception to this rule under one condition. I believe that the rule should be altered for home worlds. What I mean by this is simple. I believe that if lets say a RM or a Rhineland Military personal is killed, s/he can return to their home base and continue to defend it. That if they are killed in that home world or system if you will, they can continue to defend it against the 'bad guys'.

My theory behind this request is simple. Home worlds seem to be sacred in this game, and the lawful or guarding party has a certain authority if you will. What I mean by authority is that they can assist players, keep law and order, and permit docking. On top of that, the system has close proximity to the combat zone and can re-supply the scene of battle with more fighters and ships to get rid of the immediate threat that is the attack in theory. Too many times do i see a well coordinated attack by 3 pirates on a home planet, like Manhattan for example where they kill 1 Liberty Navy guy, then have free reign for the next 4 hours or until someone else luckily signs on and defends the home world :yahoo:. Meanwhile, the dead player cannot help defend their home world still, and the guy who signed on either has to walk away and let the pirates do as they will, or go get killed also :(. This in my humble opinion doesn't make sense.

So what I am asking is this. The bottom line is that 3 ships shouldn't be able to take over a hostile system so easily. Either allow the dead player to rejoin the fight for a X number of kills, like lets say 3 re-spawns, or shorten the time they have to stay away. Lets say 1 hour. This way they cool off too if that's the intention of the initial 4 hour rule.

Please consider this.

I thank you for your time,

Wicked:cool:
The problem then occurs that, if an LN gets killed in NY(which happens 40 times a day) they come back to "Defend" manhattan...but they are still in system and can reengage...So that is a loop hole in your logic and it would simply cause pirates to lose every battle they get into because no matter how many lawfuls they kill they will just keep coming. An army is spread usually throughout the whole of their owned space, not simply guarding their home planet.
' Wrote:The problem then occurs that, if an LN gets killed in NY(which happens 40 times a day) they come back to "Defend" manhattan...but they are still in system and can reengage...So that is a loop hole in your logic and it would simply cause pirates to lose every battle they get into because no matter how many lawfuls they kill they will just keep coming. An army is spread usually throughout the whole of their owned space, not simply guarding their home planet.

Agreed.
It's not the best solution at all.

I think 4 hours for a pvp death is reasonable, but fleeing from combat should only have a 1 hour, or half hour. As it stands right now, if I'm pirating in my Greyhound and some Gunboat pops out of the lane and starts shooting, I have to run away. There goes my fun for the next 4 hours, and I didn't even get a decent fight out of it.
Would also discourage people to fight to the death, which, in-rp, makes no sense if you're losing so many ships.
Capt.Nooblus, that's the whole idea. It's a home world, with hundred if not thousands of ships on standby or patrolling. This includes battleships, cruisers, battle cruisers, etc. Since we are mentioning Manhattan, there are battleships stationed there near tradelanes. A distress signal from a LN agent would prompt more ships dispatched to assist. That's also why I said 3 re-spawns, maybe 2 even, or a shorter time to stay away. Consider how many cops are involved IRL with a high speed chase, or if a cop is injured in the line of fire, there are hundreds of cops who rush over there. All an officer has to do is call for assistance or backup in any incident and there are dozens who are available to come to his/her aid. But you're entitled to your opinion and I appreciate your input.

Not to open up another can of worm, but i once landed on a corsair planet trying to get away from 5 ships in my freelancer character who is flying an orca GB. All they had to do was call an admin, and I was asked to undock and surrender to their will. The reasoning of the admin was that I would have been arrested as soon as I docked. Now I could have argued that ships slip under the radar all the time on a big planet, but I respected the admin, shut my mouth and did as I was told. Now I brought this up to show that there are more dimensions to the game than the players just flying their ships around and to emphasize the strength and control of said faction over said home world.

Nighthawk, according to the rules, players must announce they are engaging, so the next time someone pops up out of nowhere and opens fire, know that they are not following protocol. Unless they are joining a fight already in progress if they have reason(like a corsair helping out a corsair), which still in my opinion, would be good form to announce they're getting involved.

Both of your inputs are highly appreciated, and I hope more keeps coming, to give the admins more sides of the story to see if they will even consider this proposal, and if they do, which way they are going to decide.
Quote:(snip)
I could have argued that ships slip under the radar all the time on a big planet
(/snip)
Problem is, ships don't just slip through the docking ring. And you know how planetary landings without using the docking ring end... Just watch the BS patrols.

About the topic... No, I don't think it is a good idea. A continuous stream of re-engaging ships is not appealing to me at all.
I would like to add, that there are alternatives that can satisfy both sides. This is just one idea, but again, there can be more solutions:

When a new player of the defending faction signs in, perhaps they can 'revive' the dead player if you will, to help defend. Cuz alone, they can do nothing, but 2 vs 3, well maybe they have a chance.

This is all in theory like I said. Just throwing it out there.
Anyway, there is what happeb most of the time --- A group of pirate come at manhattan, have a fight with the lawlful forces there, if they win they get bored at staying there after 10 minute, go back to pirating out of the system - Then the lawlful can come back at Manhattan.

At least, its what happened when i was a pirate and we were having raid on Manhattan

No one seriously count the 4 hour anyway....like if we have a fight with BAF in Leeds and they kill us, we just get the hell outta here for some time, and when it happened that we cross fire again in Leeds, even if it havent been 4 hour who give a crap, its not like we came back 5 minute after, and everyone is having fun anyway.
If you mean specifically guard systems, as opposed to systems within a faction ZoI, then I agree.

(However, I have no problems with the current system and I would view such a change as a tweek.)
NO !

This would destroye interest of carring raids. No'one would ever go there then. Why? - becouse it would impossible to win for ones who are doing the raid.
As a Military pilot I, well WE, roleplay our death with the pods and how they get back to a Military Base. This takes usualy 5 or 10 Minutes.

Back at the Base there are new ships available and we can get into them if we are not injured.

This comes into play when Rheinland gets crowded, so sometimes we dont switch the character for 4 hours.
This works in 90% of all cases, due to the fairness of the pirates visiting new Berlin, or if the fight took place in a different system than New Berlin.

If the winning side "raids" Berlin, we RP the defensegrid there and give them a little hint to keep distance to the Planet.
In extreme cases we have to PM them and ask kindly if they could pirate at a Lane.
It looks odd, when you get pirated right next to the Police and Military force of Rheinland:laugh:.

And it works quite well. Only a few tried to kick us out with the usual "Leave system RM!", to cut our Station, NPC or whatever-Roleplay there.
In my eyes it wont make sense to kick out the Rping faction, when they stay out of sight just for the System-Ropleplay, or give the feeling of a present Military.

Of course we stay far away from our conquerors and if anything fails here, we shrug and move out of the system.
When the RP is not wanted, we turn tail and do something else with our time and imagination.:D

But im definetly against a respawn for PvP-Fights here. Its all about the RP, even before, during and after a fight.

Yours Malexa
Pages: 1 2