Discovery Gaming Community

Full Version: Heavy Rheinland Military VHF v1.0 - 31 July
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
A heavy alternative to Wraith.
Intended as a literal "beefed up Wraith" with additional armor plating and a heavier powercore strapped on to RM's existing VHFs, for a battle-ready economically-efficient heavy-hitter hyphen-hyphen in some possible upcoming all-out war.
[Image: I60mh]
Base Mesh - Done
Textures - Done

Hardpoints - Done
Animations - Done

» Model Submitted - 08 Aug 2018

View in 3D v1.0 - 31 July

6 Guns, 1 CD/T, Mid-range Heavy stats

Wings are animated in the same style as Wraith.
Animated baydoors for ejecting cargo.

(07-31-2018, 05:22 PM)aerelm Wrote: [ -> ]v1.0 is up.

Did some final touch ups, adjusted some values to have cleaner details, and did some minor mostly-technical tweaks for downscaling.

[Image: O43WCVi.png]
[Image: cuStymQ.png]
[Image: n3vIEwn.png]

With that, the ship is pretty much done. Will take care of hardpoints and animations tomorrow and send to the devs. Model submitted.
(07-30-2018, 01:02 AM)aerelm Wrote: [ -> ]Doing textures that fit into FL's style is more a matter of experimenting and trial and error than anything else (since some stuff don't look the same ingame as they would in other places, so it's also a bit of a "getting to know the engine" sort of thing), so instead of focusing on getting this ship just right and taking a good while before it actually makes it ingame, I'm gonna clean this thing up and submit it soon and move on to other stuff, and later down the line when I've done a few more ships and gotten a better hang of FL's texture style, I'll probably come back and drop a v2 texture on this thing.

Quote:
(05-26-2018, 03:59 PM)Krsnik Wrote: [ -> ]Can we see a size comparison with the Wraith for reference?

That's ultimately up to the devs to decide, but I doubt it would be much different compared to Wraith. As Geoffacake mentioned, Wraith isn't really small, and the only reason it manages to evade easily is because of its slim body and top notch responsiveness. With this thing having considerably more mass at its center and getting a slower handling, it wouldn't really need much of a size difference to justify the extra firepower and armor compared to Wraith.
Quote:
(07-30-2018, 03:05 AM)Vulkhard Muller Wrote: [ -> ]
My question is will the light around the engines be changeable? Are those light hardpoints? Or are they based on the engine effects? If not I can imagine a police one with one side Blue the other red and a strobe on the nose for good measure.

Unfortunately, FL engine doesn't allow that.

The glowing surface around the powercore is a glowmap, which is a part of the texture file itself, so it can't be tweaked without changing the .mat file; i.e. It can't be recolored for the same reason that ships can't be recolored.

P.S: Haven't done game assets before, so do point out if you notice some techy screwup somewhere.
You should’ve made a hessian juggernaut, traitor.

Looks kewl tho
(05-25-2018, 11:14 PM)aerelm Wrote: [ -> ]
A heavy alternative to Wraith.
Intended as a literal "beefed up Wraith" with additional armor plating and a heavier powercore strapped on to RM's existing VHFs, for a battle-ready economically-efficient heavy-hitter hyphen-hyphen in some possible upcoming all-out war.

6 Guns
1 CD/T
Mid-range Heavy stats

Textures will (most) probably be handpainted instead of tiled vanilla textures
Wings will probably be animated in the same style as Wraith

P.S: Haven't done game assets before, so do point out if you notice some techy screwup somewhere. Though, haven't cleaned it up yet, so excessive polys and some redundant or uneven faces are to be expected.

Looks awesome.

BDM has been trying to make an advanced fighter to be sold on their new BDM-IFF'd bases since forever, both InRp and in development. This should be the fighter they've been doing all the RP for.
Looks good.
Can we see a size comparison with the Wraith for reference?
Looks exactly like the Wraith.
(05-26-2018, 07:54 AM)Tænì Wrote: [ -> ]BDM has been trying to make an advanced fighter to be sold on their new BDM-IFF'd bases since forever, both InRp and in development. This should be the fighter they've been doing all the RP for.

Thats for the MND shipline that was possibly hinted by the Dev-team. Although the Military still need their own heavy VHF. We already have preparations in place for our own models regardless.

Although what I'd caution for aerelm to consider is the profile of the vessel. It shouldn't fall into the wide shield and rear hitbox profile similar to the wraith.
Before you ask, the Wraiths advantage was the fast turn rate which mitigated apparently its -1 gun mount and wide hitbox profile, just be careful of the size of those wings.
(05-26-2018, 03:59 PM)Krsnik Wrote: [ -> ]Can we see a size comparison with the Wraith for reference?

That's ultimately up to the devs to decide, but I doubt it would be much different compared to Wraith. As Geoffacake mentioned, Wraith isn't really small, and the only reason it manages to evade easily is because of its slim body and top notch responsiveness. With this thing having considerably more mass at its center and getting a slower handling, it wouldn't really need much of a size difference to justify the extra firepower and armor compared to Wraith.
I feel like it looks too much like the wraith. Is there a plan to make it look more different?

Guardian and Avenger look fairly different due to the big wing on top.
Looks nice (and a heavy VHF for Rheinland would certainly be appreciated) but I agree with skorak, it looks too similar to the Wraith.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7