Discovery Gaming Community

Full Version: Behind the scenes: Out of Bounds
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

So it turned out there was quite a bunch of people who read and followed Out of Bounds and people wondered whether the systems I showed in the little gifs were actually part of the game. Sadly, no, they aren't. I made them in one of my dev version of Discovery. Since people were pretty curious about the contents of the systems, I made this little video with a sight-seeing tour through the systems of Out of Bounds.

During the time I wrote the story, I learned how to create entirely new system backgrounds, and later even found out how to compress them correctly. You'll see the background of the blue system is in a reduced color count, which is because the DDS files of the textures are uncompressed. Freelancer however needs one of two specific compressions to display the textures the way they were supposed to be shown. There are also a few moments in which you can see the names of the solars - I didn't bother creating new infocard entries for them as the names of the unknown planets and systems wouldn't be shown in the gifs I made anyway. I actually never worked with infocards as that requires certain tools.

I also want to thank you guys for the great positive feedback I got for the story. It was highly motivating to write more and more parts, and learning more about system-editing, the creation of starspheres and playing with colors - as you see, the nebula clouds in the red system are perfectly merging with the background, which is absolutely awesome. I do hope to create at some point a package with "deeper" Omicrons, a row of systems purely for exploration without any base inside. Something to show there is more, even beyond the nomad worlds.
Those little insights into new systems were at least half the reason I clicked every time. That was/is really awesome stuff.