Discovery Gaming Community

Full Version: The Good Reverend's Guide To Good Food
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6
Welcome. come in and sit down.

So as some of you may already know, I like to cook. Not talking pizza in the microwave, I mean actually gather up ingredients and make good food. From the very spicy to the incredibly subtle, the food I cook is all about taste and flavour. It should titillate the palette, it should never be simply shovelling it into one's mouth as if eating was a chore. With the abundance of good ingredients it is only right that these vbe combined into a great experience for any and all who choose to indulge.

It s my intention to post recipes here, actual recipes that I have cooked, now the intention is that most of these recipes can be produced on a student or welfare budget, but in the event I choose to post something expensive I will note that these dishes may not be suited to those of limited means. Or just save up and really treat yourselves.

Food and cooking is as much about personal taste as sense of taste, so with that in mind these recipes will not be set in stone, feel free to modify and change based on personal desire, but please post feedback here and tell me what changes you made, if any, this way I can try out variations of my own food. Note that my ingredients list isn't very precise, that's because I add as much as I want to add to these dishes, so once again feel free to add or subtract as your tastes dictate.

To start off with I am going to turn something truly budget into a dish fit to serve to anyone. The good old fashioned egg omelette.

The One Shot Omelette

This omelette is designed to provide a good balanced meal for under a fiver. In fact well under a fiver.
It'll serve two easily.

Ingredients

Omelette

3 eggs
Red Peppers
Green Peppers
2 slices of good ham
Cheese ( I used White Stilton with apricots, but that was a rare and special treat)

Chips

Potatoes

Method

1. Prepare all you ingredients, you'll want about 10-12 chunks of each pepper, and a good helping of cheese. Dice the ham as well, fair sized pieces. Chop the potatoes into 2 inch long 3/4 inch wide strips. The thicker they are the less fat they absorb. Believe it or not.

2. Beat the eggs, beat them like you'd beat a ginger step-child.

3. Mix the peppers and ham into the eggs, and then crumble your cheese in. Season to taste.

4. Cook the chips in a deep fat fryer, if you haven't got one, use a saucepan filled with about a litre of vegetable oil. If using the saucepan method DO NOT LEAVE IT UNATTENDED. Fast way to set alight to your kitchen. They should take about 20 minutes, remember to heat the oil first, adding the chips to cold oil will make them soggy and horrible.

5. When the chips are nearly ready (about 5 minutes to go) add the egg mix into a pre-heated frying pan, you'll want a medium heat or the omelette will burn. Nothing ruins good food like the taste of burnt food. Cook for 3 minutes on one side then flip it over and cook for a further 2 on the other.

6. Plate it up, garnish to taste.

And that is an omelette done up good. Tastes great, and you can experiment with whatever veg you like. You can also take the meat out entirely for a pure veggie dish.

Try it, and feedback. More recipes to come.
Throw some curry recipes in here.
Tell me you got butterfly cakes? I kill for them. I do.
Now that is some great thread, Del! Major kudos!

I'll see if I can add some recipes later. Have to go through the translation barrier first...
Curry is something folks should work up to. It's not easy to get the spice blend right. Too much Paprika and it tastes like old carpet, wrong tomatoes and it might as well be bolognese. Curry is a subtle art, but there will be recipes based on Dopiaza (Tomatoe and Onion) and Korma (Coconut and cream) to come. I will not be adding recipes for Vindaloo or Fhaal, no point in ruining good curry by replacing all the flavour with heat. Almost as bad as cooking steak until it's grey all the way through.

Oh and I'll add a quickie because I can. Mashed Potatoes to die for. (In fact have too much and your arteries may just seize up in protest.)

Special Cheddar and Mustard Mash

Ingredients list is a bit more precise on this one, as too much cheese will utterly ruin the dish. Cream should ideally be double cream, and do not skimp by using margerine. This one is butter, if you're heart doesn't skip a beat in fear, you've not cooked it right. Also this will serve a family of about 6, so scale it down if you're eating alone or in pairs.

Ingredients

1 kg (2 ?) lb potatoes
cream
butter
salt and pepper
75g (3 oz) grated mature Cheddar cheese
6 tbsp Mustard dressing
snipped chives to decorate

Method

Boil peeled cubed potatoes in boiling salted water until tender.

Drain well, add cream, butter, salt and pepper, and mash until mixed, then beat with a hand whisk until smooth and creamy.

Stir in the Cheddar cheese and Mustard dressing. Serve with snipped chives or whatever garnish you desire. (The chives taste best)
' Wrote:Curry is something folks should work up to. It's not easy to get the spice blend right. Too much Paprika and it tastes like old carpet, wrong tomatoes and it might as well be bolognese. Curry is a subtle art, but there will be recipes based on Dopiaza (Tomatoe and Onion) and Korma (Coconut and cream) to come. I will not be adding recipes for Vindaloo or Fhaal, no point in ruining good curry by replacing all the flavour with heat. Almost as bad as cooking steak until it's grey all the way through.

Oh and I'll add a quickie because I can. Mashed Potatoes to die for. (In fact have too much and your arteries may just seize up in protest.)

Special Cheddar and Mustard Mash

Ingredients list is a bit more precise on this one, as too much cheese will utterly ruin the dish. Cream should ideally be double cream, and do not skimp by using margerine. This one is butter, if you're heart doesn't skip a beat in fear, you've not cooked it right. Also this will serve a family of about 6, so scale it down if you're eating alone or in pairs.
Ingredients

1 kg (2 ?) lb potatoes
cream
butter
salt and pepper
75g (3 oz) grated mature Cheddar cheese
6 tbsp Mustard dressing
snipped chives to decorate
Method

Boil peeled cubed potatoes in boiling salted water until tender.

Drain well, add cream, butter, salt and pepper, and mash until mixed, then beat with a hand whisk until smooth and creamy.

Stir in the Cheddar cheese and Mustard dressing. Serve with snipped chives or whatever garnish you desire. (The chives taste best)

I guess I will give it a try to this one, it's something we don't see along here at Portugal =P

Thanks for the recipes Del, keep them comming up =)
' Wrote:Throw some curry recipes in here.

I cook almost only with curri... hehe I must translate for you few of my most famouse recepts from another forum "cooking at campus - cheap and nom nom":laugh:

one of them: My own indian recept... I calll it Smile of Ganesh and it is sauce (perfect with chicken meat).

Smile of Ganesh - sauce

we need:

1. beef tea (bouillon)- scaling: 2 bricks for 0,5l of water
2. smooth flour- not much this make it whole more dense. Scaling: by eye
3. curri- nom nom. Scaling: a lot, maybe more than a lot (by eye)
4. powdered chili - nom nom. Scaling: a lot (by eye)
5. big onion - just onion:D. Scaling: 1 big onion
6. butter - REAL BUTTER, not sh** on bread called butter. Scaling: to have bottom of cooker fully covered when it melt
7. top milk for cooking (cream) - this add to sauce nice soft taste like finest silk. Scaling: 1 pot

ok

now:

1. put butter into cooker and let it melt.

2. add oninon cut at cubes, roast it till it make "foam"

3. put bouillon into second cooker with boiled water

4. now if we have our onion and bouillon ready add curri, chili and flower into cooker with onion and owerflow it with bouilon

5. mix it (nice idea is use electric beater)

6. if we are satisfied with consistence add cream (DO NOT LET ID BOILE!!!), mix it again (with spoon only)

tadaaaa nice curri sauce... easy, quick and cheap recept.

next time Bhanu vaar... my another original indian food (complete food, not just sauce)
Rudo's Chicken Stew

- Two chicken legs
- 3-5 potatoes
- Half a spanish onion
- Salt
- Basil
- Bay leaves

Optional ingredients:
- Cabbage
- Sweet potato
- Beans

Put a good-size pot of water on to boil, throwing in the chicken.

Peel potatoes, cut onion and other veggies. Boil for a good 30-60 minutes, until chicken is white inside. Add spices to taste. Toss in potatoes and other veggies. Continue to boil, adding water if evaporating too low.

When potatoes are boiled, serve in a bowl with bread. Very basic meal, but good eating.
i'll tell you what i basicly live on:

I once won a george foreman grill, and i now live on delicious grilled sandwiches:

just slap these ingrediants into some turkish pide:

cheese (mozarella is best)
sun dried tomatoes in olve oil
ham, bacon or leftover steak
salsa
mayonaises
(optional, i used it once and it tasted reeeallly good) fried egg

then toast it untill the cheese is melted, and you now have
a delicious breakfast, lunch or dinner

i am NOT telling anyone my SDP(sticky date pudding) recipe, that remains a secret!
Warm Salad

Found ths when I went to Paris with my Ex-girlfriend, there's a lovely cafe in Montmatre, that does this as it's speciality dish, and by all that is right with the world it taste's good. Wash it down with a good kir after rthe meal for an added boost.

Just a word of warning though, this one can be dirt cheap or hellishly expensive depends entirely on what you put in it.

Ingredients

Meat (Turkey for cheapness, good quality beef if you want a real treat)
Lettuce, washed and torn rather than cut.
Cucumber, finely sliced
Tomatoes, cut into eighths
Celery
Red pepper
Green pepper
Spring onions
Your own personal favourite salad dressing
1 egg per person
Thinly sliced potatoes to cover

Method

Pan fry the meat until browned.

Stick all the salad ingredients, including as much dressing as you like, into a bowl and mix well.

Saut? the potatoes in butter add parsley and thyme into it to give them a real flavour.

Fry one egg to your preference

Serve in a bowl, place the egg on top of the salad and then cover with saut?ed potatoes.

Now for the Kir. Kir can be done cheap with a bottle of white wine or for the true taste good champagne

Small glass with a small helping of Cassis in the bottom, top up with champagne (or wine). Tastes lovely and is an ideal ending to this salad.

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6