Discovery Gaming Community

Full Version: Omicron Major-like planetary systems.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
This sounds weird, but it should be possible. Since we already have several planets with atmospheric systems in them, we could make something like an atmospheric system with a city at the bottom of it. Something like Omicron Major barrier. Make buildings and what not on the surface.

Here is the general idea:

- Instead of docking rings, have them entry points that send you to the atmosphere of the planet (Somewhere around 25K from the surface) I don't know exactly.

- The surface would consist out of buildings, terrain and what not, just like Omicron Major has (Not exactly).

- There would be several dockable places on the surface for every kind of rep or something like that.

- Enter planetary races and so on.

This is what I had in mind. Is it possible? I think it is, but requires lots and lots of work.

Your thoughts?

Edit: I think I missed a forum or two. I will kindly ask a mod to move it to its proper place.
Have fun making all the models.
Omicron Major is a Dyson Sphere, a theoretical megastructure. It has nothing to do with planetary surface except similarity in the way they look to an extent.

The idea itself is cool and exists in other mods (Crossfire - Planet Lost Paradise), but it's very hard to make. I don't think anyone can bother investing such an amount of time in 1 system with other issues waiting to be addressed.
I think he's talking about the technicallities in Freelancer. And yes, one could do a planet looking surface like this.
Well. If you are good at it, it should take about a month to make something like that. And if you are lucky to pass without any buggy problems. Question is, What kind of effect would it have on the game in general?
Question is more if you want to put even more work on an already strained and overworked dev team.
There are plenty of other projects that still need done.
If I learned how to do it, I would, no problem.
On a personal opinion. I greatly enjoy dockable atmospheres, because they give alot more scenery to explore.
Just going to Beltram or Tomioka is pure eye candy.
It would be a nice-to-have, and nothing more. The thing with such gimmicks is that people look at them, explore them for a few hours at max and then are done with it. They will miss it when it is gone, for nostalgic reasons. To be honest, it is not worth the effort. If you learn how to model and do all the stuff necessary to get things in to the game, it would be more helpful to have that talent used on completing ship lines, creating more station parts or asteroid models we could use.

Nice idea, would be cool, is very unlikely to ever happen. Project size too large, and doing things for Freelancer is pretty tough. You need a very specific set of tools and months of training to learn the correct methods and make things work in the game without bugs.
(06-12-2018, 09:40 PM)TheBadPandaMan Wrote: [ -> ]Well. If you are good at it, it should take about a month to make something like that. And if you are lucky to pass without any buggy problems. Question is, What kind of effect would it have on the game in general?

This guy knows what's up. It would be relatively easy to execute with the right skillset, but unless it serves a clearly defined purpose there isn't much point including something like this. This is the same reason you're not likely to see any more atmospheric systems unless they actually do something, like Darlington's which serves a purpose, namely helping to condense Newcastle.
Pages: 1 2