Discovery Gaming Community

Full Version: Model replacement vote [Falchion/Kingfisher]
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6
(06-13-2018, 05:22 PM)Stefan Wrote: [ -> ]Voted Kingfisher simply because the model seems to be more similar to its design.

This. Also the Falchion might not be the highest quality model but the style fits well as an offshoot of the Borderworlds line, while the Kingfisher feels more out of place.
The irony here is that from a strictly technical standpoint the Kingfisher is of worse quality. I understand that people care more about the aesthetic side however and since the Falchion is kinda blocky it's the more popular candidate for replacement.
What does "worse in a technical standpoint" mean? Is it something that players actually notice? I have both a Falchion and a Kingfisher, and voted to replace the Falchion because it's kinda ugly.
(06-13-2018, 05:33 PM)Karlotta Wrote: [ -> ]What does "worse in a technical standpoint" mean? Is it something that players actually notice? I have both a Falchion and a Kingfisher, and voted to replace the Falchion because it's kinda ugly.

It can be one or the other or more commonly a mix of both. The Bounty Hunter/Core gunboats for example have a whole mass of subdivided polygons that players will never see but in numbers can cause performance issues. You can also have doubled vertices which again, aren't visible, but would cause performance problems.There are also more visible issues such as poor texture mapping (as is the case here) where the textures are not properly mapped to the shape of the ship, as opposed to the Falchion which is mapped correctly, etc. I more or less wrote a dissertation on this stuff but the reception was so lackluster that I've mostly given up the ghost on that fight publicly and just handle quality control at an internal level now because people just don't understand it. I could spend an hour in a call explaining this stuff to you on an individual level and you might grasp it like did, but forum posts and videos don't seem to do the trick.
(06-13-2018, 05:54 PM)Durandal Wrote: [ -> ]The truth.

Such are the ways of the coder.

Just to elaborate on my choice: I fear that replacing the Scimitar's with this particular model may not only lead us to two ships with very similar designs, but also postpone either of them having a unique aesthetic vibe. The fisher was always the Big T.
Oh man Kuze was such a cool guy to play with. I flew that Sovereign years ago. We should use more of his stuff.
This ship is gorgeous. And it's going to replace a civilian tech. Man, I'm gonna love it. Voted for Falchion as I like my X-Fisher (unless it will have moving wings like X-Wing, then I'm for the change ^^)
I think this would make for an interesting cruiser, but I've voted kingfisher
An excellent suggestion , we'll keep this model in mind to replace the Kagutsuchi.
(06-15-2018, 07:55 PM)Durandal Wrote: [ -> ]An excellent suggestion , we'll keep this model in mind to replace the Kagutsuchi.

That might almost maybe be enough to convince me to go back and fly BD again XD
You'd need to paint it red first

Edit:
Might be a good fit as a LH cap?
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6