Discovery Gaming Community

Full Version: Amend Rule 4.1
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
(07-10-2018, 08:25 PM)Spectre Wrote: [ -> ]So a time ago there Rule 4.1 looked a little different. In it it stated the usual stuff (can't come back after dead, two hours, yadda yadda), which itself is all fine, but it also stated that if the player who killed you, or the players involved in killing you, logged off, then you were free to go back, effectively deleting the pvpdead condition and returning things to normal.
This by itself was great for big battles where people would log, die and then both sides would log off to do other things.

Yep, bring this back. It was actually great when it was around; no idea why it was reverted. I also echo the sentiments in this thread that the death timer should change. I'd suggest shortening it to 1 hour at least. The 20 minute death timer for events still feels too short for my tastes, so something between 30 minutes and 1 hour would be grand. Keep the 2 hours for POB sieges.

I'd also suggest a change to allow transports that have docked to relog as combat ships.
I'm not sure about the second part, Lyth. I think it would only encourage people to revenge-log their big bad lawful caps when their traders are forced to dock by pirates. In return, it would make pirates very agressive and it would meet with traders screaming "pirates are bad". I don't think we really need to deepen the chasm in non-existant mutual respect between traders and pirates.
I remember those times when PvP Death still had a meaning and a penalty of 4 hours provided more incentive for trying to survive combat. And now people find 2 hous too much. This makes me feel old.
(07-10-2018, 11:29 PM)Thyrzul Wrote: [ -> ]
I remember those times when PvP Death still had a meaning and a penalty of 4 hours provided more incentive for trying to survive combat. And now people find 2 hous too much. This makes me feel old.

It made sense when we had population of 225 and sometimes server was so clogged you had to play on the other ones. Nowadays I barely see more that 40-45 people.
(07-10-2018, 11:19 PM)A.B. Wrote: [ -> ]
I'm not sure about the second part, Lyth. I think it would only encourage people to revenge-log their big bad lawful caps when their traders are forced to dock by pirates. In return, it would make pirates very agressive and it would meet with traders screaming "pirates are bad". I don't think we really need to deepen the chasm in non-existant mutual respect between traders and pirates.

Transports that dock during a PvP encounter are already not considered system-dead, and can return to the system. I'm just essentially asking for a clarification if they could be allowed to log a counter vessel if they succeed in docking.
(07-10-2018, 11:33 PM)A.B. Wrote: [ -> ]
(07-10-2018, 11:29 PM)Thyrzul Wrote: [ -> ]

It made sense when we had population of 225 and sometimes server was so clogged you had to play on the other ones. Nowadays I barely see more that 40-45 people.

The PvP Death Penalty is a consequence of ending up in combat, then dying to the opponent. Reduce the amount of it into insignificance and you'll remove the consequence of choices not really aimed at survival. People will just cease to care about living or dying, just like how it has already been the case in certain situations not once in the past.

There are better ways to try keeping player density, at least locally, than decreasing the global penalty even further. The already implemented idea of only 30 minutes penalty in combat zones is a good idea, likely increased penalty for PvP Death outside one's own ZoI could also be an other one.
I think there's a difference between "survival" and simple inability to cross through system with any of your characters (which is annoying alone), facing quite severe consequences if caught red-haded. This isn't 2011 where you could find activity anywhere despite being dead in one part of Sirius and these two hours are already anti-productive if you are killed in a system that is hub of major activity or the system you must cross during one of, if not several, trade runs you do.

It's time that actually matters to people who can play Disco for 1-2 hours. Not that there are some players interested into only one region. If they are killed in that region, they have nothing else to do in-game.
Note that I'm not voicing my concerns against the permission to return to the game once those one fell victim for have logged off. I'm more concerned about the reduction of the PvP Death Penalty.

(07-11-2018, 07:14 AM)A.B. Wrote: [ -> ]
It's time that actually matters to people who can play Disco for 1-2 hours. Not that there are some players interested into only one region. If they are killed in that region, they have nothing else to do in-game.

Mind that I'm concerned about the Death Penalty while more or less belonging to the above category of players.
The death timer and clauses are excellent right now
(07-10-2018, 10:47 PM)Durandal Wrote: [ -> ]I'm fine with both reverting the rule's old wording and reducing the timer on the condition that people do not reengage in combat against their attackers if the fight is still ongoing.

Good!
I also think it should be reverted.

The old set of rules (not pvp-dead any more once the killers logged off) did not punish people for going into fights that they might lose. Therefore more people just went into pvp even though they knew they would likely die. The consequences were small, so more people pvped and there were more blues.

And many fights and many blues - that's important in a space shooter.
Pages: 1 2 3