Discovery Gaming Community

Full Version: Sirius' Total Population Spread
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
So I got bored at work today and thought I'd have some fun with some basic spreadsheeting

Y'know; Fun!

Anyway, I went around in the online navmap and catalogued every major population-bearing planet under their respective owners for the 5 major houses (Liberty, Bretonia, Rheinland, Kusari, Gallia), the 2 mini-houses (Malta & Crete), and some other smaller powers and pumped them into a spreadsheet. Some interesting information came about as a result:

Firstoff, as it turns out, Bretonia is actually the most populated house out of them all, with pre-Gallic-war estimates putting it far ahead of Liberty or Gallia, and current estimates placing it a hare's breath ahead of Liberty. I'll spare those of you that mentally die upon visual contact with spreadsheets and just summarize below, but for everyone else, my sheet is attached below for your viewing.
  • Liberty - 22.2 Billion
  • Bretonia - 22.5 Billion
  • Rheinland - 11.1 Billion
  • Kusari - 18.3 Billion
  • Gallia - 18.1 Billion
  • Malta - 472 Million
  • Crete - 620 Million
  • Colonials - 5.3 Million

Given just how important population numbers are to the ability of a state to field even the smallest military forces, numbers like these are interesting to read up on. Population size historically translates to the ability to field larger and larger armed forces (though not always), so it's funny looking back on some of Disco's past conflicts to see just how unfair some of those matchups really are. Food for thought I suppose.

Also: some of the information in here may be incorrect - for example I couldn't find a reliable number for Kyushu's population - so if you can provide an infocard or yellow-text that fills in the gaps for large population centers that I've missed or mislabeled (not taking faction-member's google-docs or whatever as canon sources, it is far too easy to fudge those for pretend ego points), I'd appreciate it.

Link to the full thing is here for those of you curious.
Bretonia's population is based on the Steiner family. They are like rabbits.
Not again numbers. They are messy!
No hessians in the doc >Sad
(07-11-2018, 08:57 PM)Sombra Hookier Wrote: [ -> ]Bretonia's population is based on the Steiner family. They are like rabbits.

That.

<3
Kusari after quick calculations: 18.5 billion
Kyushu was missing with roughly 6.5 bill

Source is the outdated infocard, status 819 A.S.
Better than nothing.
Very interesting research, thank you.
I know people often say FL/Disco numbers make little sense, but these proportions don't seem that incoherent to me, given that we're dealing with eight centuries old civilisations that started off with advanced tech and so many life-supporting planets.

This could lay the foundation to interesting geopolitical RP !
Neat! Do you have numbers for vanilla Freelancer to compare against? I'm curious just how much Discovery has changed the relative balance between Houses.
(07-11-2018, 09:01 PM)Lanakov Wrote: [ -> ]I know people often say FL/Disco numbers make little sense, but these proportions don't seem that incoherent to me,

It used ot be far worse. Gran Canaria, despite recent settlement and a lack of governmental support, was once claimed to have a population of 420 million, for one example that's relatively easy to look up still.
(07-11-2018, 09:01 PM)NieRdackel Wrote: [ -> ]Kusari after quick calculations: 18.5 billion
Kyushu was missing with roughly 6.5 bill

Source is the outdated infocard, status 819 A.S.
Better than nothing.

Close enough, I'll just note it's outdated in the spreadsheet

(07-11-2018, 08:59 PM)Wesker Wrote: [ -> ]No hessians in the doc >Sad

In-game sources on both Coalition and Hessian population numbers are shoddy at best, and the Hessians currently posess no major population-bearing planets to my knowledge

(07-11-2018, 09:04 PM)Batavia Wrote: [ -> ]Neat! Do you have numbers for vanilla Freelancer to compare against? I'm curious just how much Discovery has changed the relative balance between Houses.

Thought about it but throwing together a separate sheet just for that would be a nightmarish pain to accomplish. This was relatively painless given the interactive navmap's ease of use (thanks <3)
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7